Grizzly

CPL Based MNT Team

Interesting article on what would be the call ups for the men's national team if it was from only CPL players. Obviously none of them would be our first choices for selection in their current form but still not a bad lineup considering many players of this calibre were on our full national team not long ago and now this would be somewhat of a B if not C team.

https://canpl.ca/article/what-would-a-canmnt-made-out-of-cpl-players-look-like?email=nhl_1fan_pa%40hotmail.com&session_id=cbb8b52f2feb8bd2f51f82a0b72cc662&fbclid=IwAR3Enul-WMbqHeb6mv2-BfuCqAeWt89Aa1ndMFbXhERnHkiQ6cEnssid0os

7 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Interesting article on what would be the call ups for the men's national team if it was from only CPL players. Obviously none of them would be our first choices for selection in their current form but still not a bad lineup considering many players of this calibre were on our full national team not long ago and now this would be somewhat of a B if not C team.

https://canpl.ca/article/what-would-a-canmnt-made-out-of-cpl-players-look-like?email=nhl_1fan_pa%40hotmail.com&session_id=cbb8b52f2feb8bd2f51f82a0b72cc662&fbclid=IwAR3Enul-WMbqHeb6mv2-BfuCqAeWt89Aa1ndMFbXhERnHkiQ6cEnssid0os

I think this team could qualify for the Nations A league.

It would be borderline but yes maybe as the 11th or 12th seed.  There is some quality in the league for sure even though it’s mostly our B squad right now.

That team with a couple other players that didn’t make the 23 this camp could qualify I bet.

Honestly, I hope we never have to call up a CPL players to the National team unless we start playing many more friendlies and having more camps. 

With our current roster, it would be a big step back for our program.

For the CPL, I hope and I believe this will be a great league for exposure of players that are generally overlooked by club and country.  It should be a stepping stone for many and their talents to be recognized.  Get picked up by an MLS team or a team from another higher caliber league.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

Honestly, I hope we never have to call up a CPL players to the National team unless we start playing many more friendlies and having more camps. 

Honestly that is the dumbest thing I have seen in a while. What does that even mean?

The whole point of the CanPL is to create and support national team players. The league would not exist without this goal.

I believe that CanPL players will be called up for competitive national team games in the next year.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

With our current roster, it would be a big step back for our program.

For the CPL, I hope and I believe this will be a great league for exposure of players that are generally overlooked by club and country.  It should be a stepping stone for many and their talents to be recognized.  Get picked up by an MLS team or a team from another higher caliber league.

I definitely do not hope to never have a CPL player called up. It would be much better in my opinion if, say, CPL eventually reduced the gap on MLS significantly, or occasionally had a player take the league by storm that can break into the national team. Think of an Alphonso Davies level talent. Getting national team call ups before he was old enough to transfer internationally.

A generation into the future virtually every player for the national team should have come through the league, and on occasion there will be some to get caps before transferring out.

In the 2018 World Cup do you have any idea how many teams had 0 players on their squad that played in their domestic league? 2! Sweden and Senegal. That's it. Iceland, Croatia, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, etc., all had at least 1 domestic player on their roster.

IMO we need to consistently throw calls to CPL guys.  Maybe not in official matches but in domestic friendlies etc.  This shows players that it’s a good starting level and that they can breakthrough.  Otherwise we’ll continue to have guys choosing MLS teams and not playing football.  We need to start rewarding players who make sacrifices and play matches.

I expect that if we ever play friendlies again or have a domestic-based camp in January etc. that we will see some CPL players get called.

But it's a moot point for the moment because we don't play any friendlies and only seem to be playing official matches because presumably the CSA has the same operating budget as the likes of the US Virgin Islands, St. Maarten, Belize, Bon Aire, etc. since they are only playing official matches as well and we apparently can't do any better on the friendly front than they are. It's a shame that Canada is not an affluent country that's one of the G8, as presumably if we were we might be able to better afford to play more friendlies......oh.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ted said:

The whole point of the CanPL is to create and support national team players. The league would not exist without this goal.

I believe that CanPL players will be called up for competitive national team games in the next year.

Like I said, I would expect with increased games to be calling CPL players at least to camps.  I would love Canada to run camps and unofficial friendlies based solely on domestic league players such as Mexico, Panama, USA etc.  But who are we kidding with the talent overseas and MLS/Mexico based now.  Look at our current Canadian roster and tell me where you see CPL players fitting in.  We hardly even have space for MLS players now and thats a testement to the quality we have and are building upon.  We may have 2 or 3 MLS players play vs French Guiana.  Tomori commits to Canada, are we going to select a CPL player over Championship player?  I hope we see some Canadian players take the CPL by storm and I hope the CPL grows as the MLS.  It will be interesting to see in this year's Canadian Championship and how the quality differs between CPL & MLS.  The hope if that we don't send our most talented players to NCAA and that they are more inclined to stay and play in Canada.  Players such as Miller, Buchanon etc.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

In the 2018 World Cup do you have any idea how many teams had 0 players on their squad that played in their domestic league? 2! Sweden and Senegal. That's it. Iceland, Croatia, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, etc., all had at least 1 domestic player on their roster.

We are in a unique situation in that we have our strongest teams playing in a neighboring country.  Look at our roster, filled with players from those 3 teams.  So technically if we put our current squad in the World Cup we would have 7 domestic players.  As I stated above I hope that our young talented players are more inclined to stay in Canada then go to NCAA and be drafted by MLS teams.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

IMO we need to consistently throw calls to CPL guys.  Maybe not in official matches but in domestic friendlies etc.  This shows players that it’s a good starting level and that they can breakthrough.  Otherwise we’ll continue to have guys choosing MLS teams and not playing football.  We need to start rewarding players who make sacrifices and play matches.

It's a process but I can assure you that if I was to select the Canada team, that I am going to select a player like MAK, Piette, Osorio, Henry, Cornelius, Miller over a CPL player regardless if they are playing in an American league.  We have players playing in top leagues around the world now, its going to take some time to build the CPL.

Like I have always said in previous discussions, why not run a camp poutine with locally based players?  Most other CONCACAF teams already do the same with their domestic leagues.  It's great training and exposure for those players.  Come tournament time, I want our best players there and I'm sorry for all those who were offended by that.  I just personally believe we have so much quality and depth with our NT now. 

Edited by Corazon

There are a couple circumstances in which I see a CPL player get called up. 

1. A young player gets signed on a multi year deal and lights up the league. For instance a 17 year old scores 7 first year and 10 the next. I could see him getting a substitute appearance for the national team.

2. A defender or goalkeeper is a total standout. For instance Skylar Thomas or Marco Carducci leads the team to a great defensive season including the Canadian Championship. 

3. A veteran player gets called in to be an experienced presence. For example De Jong, Ledgerwood, Trafford, or another get a call for a home game.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

There are a couple circumstances in which I see a CPL player get called up. 

1. A young player gets signed on a multi year deal and lights up the league. For instance a 17 year old scores 7 first year and 10 the next. I could see him getting a substitute appearance for the national team.

2. A defender or goalkeeper is a total standout. For instance Skylar Thomas or Marco Carducci leads the team to a great defensive season including the Canadian Championship. 

3. A veteran player gets called in to be an experienced presence. For example De Jong, Ledgerwood, Trafford, or another get a call for a home game.

I’d also add other scenarios, where a player is comparatively head and shoulders above guys with past MNT experience. 

For example, Pacific FC has played 20 matches and Haber has 7 goals, Issey has 5, Fisk has 5 and a guy like Hernandez has 12.  (Or even with a non-MNT comparator imagine Lamy emerging as HFX’s main threat ahead of Perea). 

Or even how about Kadin Chung for instance - imagine he emerges as the best FB in the league.  He’s 21 why not call him to a position that no one has claimed? 

I agree with @Corazon - this would likely come at a camp poutine or something where we can’t get everyone.  But there may be opportunities where we are thin somewhere and a CPL player is tearing it up in that position. 

Edited by Keegan

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I’d also add other scenarios, where a player is comparatively head and shoulders above guys with past MNT experience. 

For example, Pacific FC has played 20 matches and Haber has 7 goals, Issey has 5, Fisk has 5 and a guy like Hernandez has 12.  

Or even how about Kadin Chung for instance - imagine he emerges as the best FB in the league.  He’s 21 why not call him to a position that no one has claimed? 

I agree with @Corazon - this would likely come at a camp poutine or something where we can’t get everyone.  But there may be opportunities where we are thin somewhere and a CPL player is tearing it up in that position. 

These are all good scenarios and I agree with most of them but I'm going to apologize in advance to CPL fans.

If you get a young player who tears up the league in scoring or a player like Chung emerging as a top fullback, its only a matter of time before an MLS team or another team from a "higher league" comes and picks them up.  There are going to be some diamonds in this league, I know it.  Canada has so much untapped potential its scary.  I am forever thankful for all the players committing to this league but these players have big aspirations in the sport.  If an MLS team comes knocking and offers twice the money and greater world football exposure that player is going to jump.

My original comment was exactly this. That the standout players get noticed and move to a better quality team in a better quality league and work their way into the National team.

Edited by Corazon

Well of course and that’s what we want them to do.  But we shouldn’t be waiting for them to make that jump before we call them.  They’re playing, they’re in form.. call them and then they can move up whenever they choose.  I don’t think anyone is going to lock down a spot playing CPL but they can get their feet wet.

40 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well of course and that’s what we want them to do.  But we shouldn’t be waiting for them to make that jump before we call them.  They’re playing, they’re in form.. call them and then they can move up whenever they choose.  I don’t think anyone is going to lock down a spot playing CPL but they can get their feet wet.

Very true but we also have half of our current squad not in form currently being called in because of the teams they play for.  I hope that we have enough players consistently in form in these bigger leagues where this won't be an issue. We aren't leaving Davies, David, Hoilett, Arfield home when they aren't in form with their clubs but perhaps we can afford to leave MLS players home if they aren't in form.  Although our numbers in MLS continue to rise.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, toontownman said:

The biggest impact nationally this year is probably the U23 team for Olympic qualifying. Should see lots of CPL in that if all goes well. 

Why should we care where our players are coming from. We should be calling up the best player possible when it comes to  qualifying. We should be playing against some weaker teams in friendlies if we want to see the B-C squad filled with CPL players. Or goes see a Few CPL league games if you want to see CPL players. 

If you start picking just from one certain league we can get fucked because if they suck, it makes Canada and the league look bad. For example look at the U17 team,  basically it was just Canadian MLS Academy players we lost against Cuba ! 

We need to start taking qualifying for everything more seriously not just the main World Cup . 

Edited by SpecialK

I don't think anyone is advocating for solely picking CPL players (maybe the CPL and CSA as it looks good - until rightly you say we lose badly and it reflects badly). The highest quality Canadian players that are on form should be picked. End of. 

There are some fantastic U23 players in the CPL IMO and some maybe that haven't been in the limelight before. Game time and playing a higher level than before could shine enough to warrant a call to U23. 

Comparatively I expect to see CPL players in the U23 (potentially quite a few) rather than the full MNT.  

I think the biggest thing this article demonstrates is our massive improvement in depth. Bekker, Ledgerwood, and De Jong were all, at one point, starters/guarenteed to be called if healthy. The fact that they will hopefully still be playing good professional minutes, but not really on our A roster is such a great sign. I think all of us can attest to the days of 3-4 fc unattached players. Or debating which young canadian playing in second divivion (insert random European country) was our next star. Now we will have a league where at least 42 (7 X 6) players will be getting solid minutes. And multiple u-23 players getting prime time development. Considering the u23 olympic qualification is in October, this could be huge. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Corazon said:

These are all good scenarios and I agree with most of them but I'm going to apologize in advance to CPL fans.

If you get a young player who tears up the league in scoring or a player like Chung emerging as a top fullback, its only a matter of time before an MLS team or another team from a "higher league" comes and picks them up.  There are going to be some diamonds in this league, I know it.  Canada has so much untapped potential its scary.  I am forever thankful for all the players committing to this league but these players have big aspirations in the sport.  If an MLS team comes knocking and offers twice the money and greater world football exposure that player is going to jump.

My original comment was exactly this. That the standout players get noticed and move to a better quality team in a better quality league and work their way into the National team.

I look forward to the time in history when CPL regularly exports talent to MLS.

The transfer fees would be good for the financial stability of the league, some clubs may even turn out to deploy this as their financial strategy - develop a talent, then flip him for profit. However, the salary restrictions are enough to ponder just how often such transfers to MLS may happen. Remember, the transfer fee counts against the MLS cap. Vancouver Whitecaps may not have the TAM or DP spot available to sign the next Alphonso Davies from Edmonton.

If a 16 year old lights up CPL for a few seasons, there could even be a Mexican club taking a chance! CF Monterrey took a chance on Alberth Elis back in 2016, when they bought him from Olympia in 2016,. You think the Mexicans wouldn't sniff around for bargins up north?

Or, perhaps we'll attract some interesting and unexpected buyers! We already see a lot of Canadians launch their careers in Finland, imagine clubs from the Veikkausliiga regularly coming in and buying up players and establishing a consistent pipeline into Europe for our players. On the surface, Finland would be considered unlikely, but I can see how it could happen!

Edited by Obinna

Based on the players in the article, I would feel fine with CPL-based team playing against the likes of USVI or Dominica, but definitely not against St. Kitts & Nevis or French Guiana.

Looking at the current Nations League qualifying table, I would probably feel fine with a CPL-based team against any of the teams currently sitting in a League C spot except perhaps Puerto Rico and Grenada, who I think are better than they've shown in these three games.