Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alex D

Attendance Warz 2019!

Attendance Warz 2019!  

40 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will have the higher average attendance in 2019?

    • CPL
      38
    • Ottawa Fury
      2


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Yup that has been a problem forever it seems with local youth soccer clubs and their relationship with their local pro club in the area. This was a problem I remember even as far back as the old CSL , where it seemed like some people running these youth clubs never saw or wanted any type of connection to the pro club. Hopefully this is changing and the mentality is changing because in the end for the young players who have aspirations and dreams of going on to play at higher levels playing for the local pro club should be what they should be striving for .

It’s mind blowing. Clubs are part of the pyramid of play. Pro clubs are higher on the food chain so you should be doing everything to promote your players to the higher level. Now those pro clubs need to offer a higher level of coaching/be free or extremely affordable. 

When TFC showed up and put together an academy OYSL and the provincial teams told their players if you leave and try out with TFC you aren’t welcome back to either teams. Parents and kids were scared. Then it flipped; TFC offered something that locals wanted. OYSL and province realized they were cut out of the loop. So they got on board and changed to OPDL and that structure. Now they do the bidding for TFC. 

Edited by Ottawafan74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s mind blowing. Clubs are part of the pyramid of play. Pro clubs are higher on the food chain so you should be doing everything to promote your players to the higher level. Now those pro clubs need to offer a higher level of coaching/be free or extremely affordable. 

When TFC showed up and out together an academy OYSL and the provincial teams told their players if you leave and try out with TFC you aren’t welcome back to either teams. Parents and kids were scared. Then it flipped; TFC offered something that locals wanted. OYSL and province realized they were cut out of the pool. So they got on board and changed to OPDL and that structure. Now they do the bidding for TFC. 

Not surprised that teams were telling players that. It should be an honour and an example that maybe your club is doing something right if you have players chosen to play for a pro academies team and one day going on to play for the pro team . This is the mentality these youth  clubs need to have, and hopefully it’s changing.

Edited by 1996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a good sign when the Nova Scotia youth leagues announced that they would not be scheduling games when the Wanderers are playing, so soccer people can more easily go to the games. Would be a massive change in mindset to see that sort of thing happening in Ontario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Yup that has been a problem forever it seems with local youth soccer clubs and their relationship with their local pro club in the area. This was a problem I remember even as far back as the old CSL , where it seemed like some people running these youth clubs never saw or wanted any type of connection to the pro club. Hopefully this is changing and the mentality is changing because in the end for the young players who have aspirations and dreams of going on to play at higher levels playing for the local pro club should be what they should be striving for .

I can't speak for the rest of the CSL however the Hamilton Steelers were very engaged with the local youth soccer  clubs offering ticket promotions and most clubs took advantage of this, there were many youth teams sporting their jerseys at Steeler matches! On top of that the Steelers held camps and training sessions for youth teams, the rep team I coached trained at Ivor Wynne with the likes of Alex Bunbury, they even had players come up and participate in training at our practice field!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

The general feeling is very positive for those that actually know about the club and league.

I'm coaching an indoor game today, and I can guarantee you, even with the facility packed, there will be no Valour booth.

It's been like that all season.  Really pathetic.

I see photo's of clubs like Forge & HFX out in the community, marketing and selling.........none of that has happened here.

 

What did the teams sales rep say when/if you mentioned the lack of advertising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gator said:

I can't speak for the rest of the CSL however the Hamilton Steelers were very engaged with the local youth soccer  clubs offering ticket promotions and most clubs took advantage of this, there were many youth teams sporting their jerseys at Steeler matches! On top of that the Steelers held camps and training sessions for youth teams, the rep team I coached trained at Ivor Wynne with the likes of Alex Bunbury, they even had players come up and participate in training at our practice field!

I was a North York Rockets supporter went to most of their home games also lived a 5 minute drive from their home stadium Ether Shiner Stadium. However , as a crazy soccer fan I was back then and also today lol, I also attended a couple or more games a year in Hamilton more than an hours drive from my North York home lol. I loved that old Brian Timmis Stadium I think it was called right next to the old Ivor Wynne Stadium. It fit like 5000 or more people and had two grandstands of about 2000 or more stands on each side of the field, and your probably right because most times I attended Hamilton Steeler games that place seemed always pretty full and noisy, it was a great place to watch a game especially when it was full. Therefore, I’m sure the Steelers were doing something right with the local youth clubs, and by the way the Steelers from what I remember always seemed to have one of the better teams in the old CSL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I was a North York Rockets supporter went to most of their home games also lived a 5 minute drive from their home stadium Ether Shiner Stadium. However , as a crazy soccer fan I was back then and also today lol, I also attended a couple or more games a year in Hamilton more than an hours drive from my North York home lol. I loved that old Brian Timmis Stadium I think it was called right next to the old Ivor Wynne Stadium. It fit like 5000 or more people and had two grandstands of about 2000 or more stands on each side of the field, and your probably right because most times I attended Hamilton Steeler games that place seemed always pretty full and noisy, it was a great place to watch a game especially when it was full. Therefore, I’m sure the Steelers were doing something right with the local youth clubs, and by the way the Steelers from what I remember always seemed to have one of the better teams in the old CSL.

You have a very good memory! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

One problem for the Ottawa Fury is the locals clubs don’t support it. That’s mostly on the local clubs and their miopic view of their small kingdom which is actually a bigger problem for Canadian soccer. 

How are local clubs reacting to CPL squads moving in?  Are any CPL organizations talking about starting up either youth programs?

Well part of the Forge success is that they engaged with pretty much everyone in. Hamilton that they could including the Hamilton District Soccer Association.

They showed up at all the community events with a booth promoting the team.  

I realize not all teams haven’t done that for some reason but general awareness is fairly high here.  But keep in mind Forge has to compete with Toronto FC to an extent so they have to work hard to carve its place.

Edited by baulderdash77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the way Swangard, to see either the 86ers or the national team, my friends and I would always shake our heads at the number of local games that were going on at the same time.  "Look, you f***ers, your country's trying to qualify for the World Cup just down the road, and we're going to be outnumbered by [insert name of blue and white-clad Central American team here] supporters again!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

One problem for the Ottawa Fury is the locals clubs don’t support it. That’s mostly on the local clubs and their miopic view of their small kingdom which is actually a bigger problem for Canadian soccer. 

How are local clubs reacting to CPL squads moving in?  Are any CPL organizations talking about starting up either youth programs?

100% right about the ‘small kingdom’ but. I’m not sure what other CPL clubs are up to in this regard, but York 9 has really engaged with the many local soccer clubs in York Region. I’m very encouraged by it actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 7:58 AM, Ottawafan74 said:

One problem for the Ottawa Fury is the locals clubs don’t support it. That’s mostly on the local clubs and their miopic view of their small kingdom which is actually a bigger problem for Canadian soccer. 

Wait, what?

I know that there is still some grassroots resistance, but there are a lot of local Ottawa clubs that are on board with the Fury, who have tried to reach out to the community and form partnerships. The FIT program provides additional training for players to take back to their club teams, to fill in the gaps of training frequency that some clubs can't provide. That way players can reach the training hours recommended in the LTPD plan.

I agree there is still a ton of politics in Canadian Soccer, especially between local clubs, but there is less animosity to clubs higher up the food chain than there used to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, Initial B said:

Wait, what?

I know that there is still some grassroots resistance, but there are a lot of local Ottawa clubs that are on board with the Fury, who have tried to reach out to the community and form partnerships. The FIT program provides additional training for players to take back to their club teams, to fill in the gaps of training frequency that some clubs can't provide. That way players can reach the training hours recommended in the LTPD plan.

I agree there is still a ton of politics in Canadian Soccer, especially between local clubs, but there is less animosity to clubs higher up the food chain than there used to be. 

I certainly hope so. The proof will be when these kids show up for the Fury training how many will be from WOS, OSU or the new TFC affiliated east end club. If you aren’t pulling the best kids out of them then it’s a waste of time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Image may contain: 2 people, text

     

    Pre Game Events

    Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

    You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

    Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

    Pre Game Party & March to Stadium
    Voyageurs will be there from 11am
     

     

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...