Jump to content
Lou

Proposed USA competition in 2020

Recommended Posts

I'm still not quite sure why CONMEBOL is so eager to go head to head with the Euro.  I think the Copa should be a bigger tournament (and a bigger deal globally) than it is, but doing it at the same time as another major tournament doesn't make sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm still not quite sure why CONMEBOL is so eager to go head to head with the Euro.  I think the Copa should be a bigger tournament (and a bigger deal globally) than it is, but doing it at the same time as another major tournament doesn't make sense to me.

The same fears were expressed before the 2016 Copa which smashed all television viewership records for the tournament.  Truth is they actually complemented one another.  The fanbases are different and kickoff times did not overlap so neutrals/casuals could watch both.  The Euro matches ended when the Copa matches began.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The same fears were expressed before the 2016 Copa which smashed all television viewership records for the tournament.  Truth is they actually complemented one another.  The fanbases are different and kickoff times did not overlap so neutrals/casuals could watch both.  The Euro matches ended when the Copa matches began.

Sure, though how much of this is attributable to simply having an expanded tournament and in the US?  And neutral/casuals could watch both, but how much did they?  That's a lot  of soccer to expect them to watch in a day/week.  

I guess where I'm going with this is could it be higher still if the same type of tournament was held at a different time of year/different year.

Edited by Watchmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, though how much of this is attributable to simply having an expanded tournament and in the US?  And neutral/casuals could watch both, but how much did they?  That's a lot  of soccer to expect them to watch in a day/week.  

I guess where I'm going with this is could it be higher still if the same type of tournament was held at a different time of year/different year.

There's a political angle to this as well.  The change was made when Infantino was pushing his global nations league plan.  The final 8 part of the competition would have occupied the summer of odd-numbered years.  I remember reading on Inside World Football a while back that Infantino was trying to get all continental cups moved to even numbered years to clear space.  Infantino seems to have backed off from the plan for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Image may contain: 2 people, text

     

    Ticket Deadline

    Sunday March 17th

    Get your tickets here

     

    Pre Game Events

    Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

    You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

    Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

    Our pre game party will start at 11am 
     

     

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...