Jump to content
Ansem

MLS & Green Cards

Recommended Posts

This is pretty self-explanatory and was raised numerous times by TVA Sports journalists to Don Garber who pretty much dismissed his worries

Samuel Piette's reaction

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only does this put the 3 Canadian teams at a massive disadvantage, it will hurt the USMNT over time if the USSF does nothing. That less minutes for Americans who will be relegated to USL or MLS bench while making the other nations better.

Good for us I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can the USSF do about it? The American MLS clubs are following U.S. immigration laws, which aren't going to change to accommodate a soccer federation's wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't the USSF change the definition of what constitutes a domestic player? ie. the player must be eligible to represent the US internationally. It should hold up to legal challenge because the green card holder is still able to work in the US, they just count as a non-domestic according to league rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Couldn't the USSF change the definition of what constitutes a domestic player? ie. the player must be eligible to represent the US internationally. It should hold up to legal challenge because the green card holder is still able to work in the US, they just count as a non-domestic according to league rules.

If it was that easy, you'd have to think the USSF would've done it by now.

We're even seeing the early stages of this on our side of the border in the CPL with Springer and Estevez (Canadian citizens who play for other countries but are still considered domestic by the league) and, soon, Ameobi (who is supposedly on the verge of earning PR status).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS said:

If it was that easy, you'd have to think the USSF would've done it by now.

We're even seeing the early stages of this on our side of the border in the CPL with Springer and Estevez (Canadian citizens who play for other countries but are still considered domestic by the league) and, soon, Ameobi (who is supposedly on the verge of earning PR status).

The CSA uses the rule i stated for the V's Cup, so it should be doable for league competition. Maybe they see it as benefiting them down the road if these players become citizens and play for the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

The CSA uses the rule i stated for the V's Cup, so it should be doable for league competition. Maybe they see it as benefiting them down the road if these players become citizens and play for the US?

Except many of them can't as they're already cap-tied or provisionally cap-tied to other countries.

For example, all three of the NYCFC trio that got green cards in the story above already have caps for other countries. Jesus Medina played for Paraguay's youth teams in official competitions so he's provisionally cap-tied, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi appeared for Libya in AFCON qualifying, and Anton Tinnerholm has played in Euro qualifiers for Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LAFC: "an eye on the future".. what is that even supposed to mean?

For the quality of players that are being added to take the spots of Americans (let's be honest, we've given up on Canadians now we're even behind internationals) it's just not worth it.  There are more than enough international spots, if they can't fill one maybe they just aren't good enough.  

MLS is becoming like China in that they are growing but it's a complete farce.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RS said:

Except many of them can't as they're already cap-tied or provisionally cap-tied to other countries.

For example, all three of the NYCFC trio that got green cards in the story above already have caps for other countries. Jesus Medina played for Paraguay's youth teams in official competitions so he's provisionally cap-tied, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi appeared for Libya in AFCON qualifying, and Anton Tinnerholm has played in Euro qualifiers for Sweden.

I think JPG meant the CSA would be hoping some of these guys coming to CPL with tenuous or non existant ties to canada might become citizens etc and commit to us.  I really thought we would have seen a few MLS players jump to us after playing here for 5 years.  It hasnt really worked out (check nationalization countdown thread).  We dont have the depth the USA has so any pro that might jump (Bush et al) would make a difference.

But this is definately a slippery slope for USA, trying to bring the level of the league up, letting teams bring in more foreign stars, but also not sacrificing chances for domestic players.  In the long run I think it will backfire, if NYC can just stock the team with a bunch of foreign players with DP and TAM money and subvert the spirit of the rules with a ton of green cards where is the incentive to even try and develop any local talent??  

Edited by Bison44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RS said:

Except many of them can't as they're already cap-tied or provisionally cap-tied to other countries.

For example, all three of the NYCFC trio that got green cards in the story above already have caps for other countries. Jesus Medina played for Paraguay's youth teams in official competitions so he's provisionally cap-tied, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi appeared for Libya in AFCON qualifying, and Anton Tinnerholm has played in Euro qualifiers for Sweden.

As Bison said, i wasn't speaking specifically of these 3 players, but of the entire foreign pool as possible prospective future MNT players as an explanation for the status quo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say it again as an American but I can't believe I'm jealous of Canadian soccer and its much better CSA compared to the incompetent shambles that's USSF and MLS. MLS is not a real league, it's shoddy quality entertainment like WWE that just plays soccer. The league doesn't care about developing American players and whatever half-assed piss poor efforts get praised by league shills as "progress" and academies could be called world class without producing any successful exports. 

Just focusing on development could easily put CPL ahead of MLS, so to avoid my trolling threads on CPL surpassing MLS I'll say that will happen when the league produces enough quality homegrown players that they don't need to over-pay for foreign ones to raise the quality.

And the Green Card counting as "domestic" is bogus and now you have to be amused on why the US isn't producing new talent and the national team is slipping in world rankings. As recently as just 4-5 years ago the US was ranked in the teens and on the verge of breaking the top 10, but now it's close to dropping out of top 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Image may contain: 2 people, text

     

    Ticket Deadline

    Sunday March 17th

    Get your tickets here

     

    Pre Game Events

    Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

    You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

    Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

    Our pre game party will start at 11am 
     

     

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...