Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

2019 CPL All-Star game.

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know when and where the 2019 CPL All-Star game is going to be played?

Does the CPL intend to showcase its star players?

Can the CPL afford to pass-up the opportunity to promoting its product?

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am actually in favour of having a game that could be rotated between venues, but the league looks like it has scheduling problems, with the short window to play in. That is the only drawback as I see it. You add another date and more travel for the stars and that could put undue pressure on them. 

I personally like the idea of pitting your CPL all-stars against a visiting team, like a classic Scottish PL side or an English championship side. You have to have a name to draw a bit, it could be an Italian Series B team in pre-season too, like a Venezia or Palermo.  I realise they are all probably better by far than what the CPL will have, but you have to have a team that is recognized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Robert said:

Does the CPL intend to showcase its star players?

 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

personally like the idea of pitting your CPL all-stars against a visiting team, like a classic Scottish PL side or an English championship side.

I think it would be a great marketing decision to name an 18 to go up against a recognized European club.  In year 1 though, as tight as the schedule is going to be, I can't really see where you'd squeeze the match in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm in favour of it, but i don't like the mls style. would prefer a sort fan 18 vs league 18 or all-stars vs season champions affair done after the season is done (pro bowl style).

also think if this is an a/c style league, every team should book a friendly against a noted outside league during the break. or the league bring in a few euro teams to do a 2-3 city canadian tour during it

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Please no All-Star nonsense. Let the gimmicky retirement league MLS keep that joke of a game and let CPL focus on real soccer. It's a waste of time, energy, and money for a match that doesn't count.

You wanna hear some awesome music? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am definitely in the please don't do it camp.

I mean we have seven teams, so we would basically need 2/7 (29%) of the league to have a within league game. Or we have to do it like MLS, which I also do not like. 

I think they should have like a First Eleven team at the end of the year, and perhaps a Second Eleven (not the same as having two teams play each other as you do not have a full bench). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would like to see a CPL All-star game after the season has concluded, featuring the 2919 CPL champions versus a team of players selected from the six remaining clubs. This would; 1) avoid interfering with any league matches, 2) be played when interest in the CPL is at its highest, 3) and be truly representative of the best players based on their overall performance during the entire season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Robert said:

Personally, I would like to see a CPL All-star game after the season has concluded, featuring the 2919 CPL champions versus a team of players selected from the six remaining clubs. This would; 1) avoid interfering with any league matches, 2) be played when interest in the CPL is at its highest, 3) and be truly representative of the best players based on their overall performance during the entire season.

I’m just not sure that there’s much value to the excercise though. Why not just have the champ host a big international club? Better yet, just don’t do it! As Nancy Raegan used to say (I think it was Nancy) 

“Just Say No!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m just not sure that there’s much value to the excercise though. Why not just have the champ host a big international club? Better yet, just don’t do it! As Nancy Raegan used to say (I think it was Nancy) 

“Just Say No!”

What if the All-Star game was a charity game with the Champ vs League 18 (ala first NHL all-star game)?

Re big club, I think organizing tours for bigger teams would be more useful than a single game with one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the season?   Then you'd be playing in the cold weather that would limit the attendance.  

Let's get through one season first.  

Yes I think it was a blessing that CPL got a CCL league spot a year before we expected although the selection process of who gets to go is sketchy.  However unlike some who say don't go until 2020, if that spot is given to somewhere like Belize for 'just the one year' it will be hard as hell to get it back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, we can't all live in Victoria, BC:

Weather averages

Month                 High / Low(°C)

October               14° / 9°

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert said:

Unfortunately, we can't all live in Victoria, BC:

Weather averages

Month                 High / Low(°C)

October               14° / 9°

I thought the season was going to end near the end of October?  Meaning an 'All Star Game' would then have to wait until the beginning of November.  

One of the benefits of NOT renewing my TFC tickets for a 13th year is I won't be going to their CCL game next Tuesday with a temperature of -10C (of course the game is at night)...not as bad as -17C which I'd heard someone say 14 days ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I thought the season was going to end near the end of October?  Meaning an 'All Star Game' would then have to wait until the beginning of November.  

One of the benefits of NOT renewing my TFC tickets for a 13th year is I won't be going to their CCL game next Tuesday with a temperature of -10C (of course the game is at night)...not as bad as -17C which I'd heard someone say 14 days ago.  

Winnipeg Forecast for next Tue 26 Feb: Mainly sunny High -17°C Low -22°C / Feels like: -24°C / POP: 20% / 24h Snow: 0cm / 24h Rain: 0mm / Wind: SW12km/h

Averages and Extremes:

Average High: -5°C Average Low: -13°C Extreme High:8.3°C [1938] Extreme Low:-42.2°C [1879]

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I thought the season was going to end near the end of October?  Meaning an 'All Star Game' would then have to wait until the beginning of November.  

One of the benefits of NOT renewing my TFC tickets for a 13th year is I won't be going to their CCL game next Tuesday with a temperature of -10C (of course the game is at night)...not as bad as -17C which I'd heard someone say 14 days ago.  

As I proposed, an annual season-ending All-Star game in Victoria, in conjunction with the CPL's AGM and player banquet awards evening at the Empress Hotel, seems like a great way to cap-off the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, matty said:

What if the All-Star game was a charity game with the Champ vs League 18 (ala first NHL all-star game)?

Re big club, I think organizing tours for bigger teams would be more useful than a single game with one

That might be cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...