Sign in to follow this  
Ansem

Canada Soccer unveils its 2019-21 Strategic Plan

Here's a summary for those who didn't have time to watch:

They are happy with the results of the previous (2014-18) strategic plan, which sought to:

• Invest in technical leadership (appointment of a Director of Development, Jason de Vos)
  • Achieve consistent world-class NT results (CWNTs having repeated success at Olympics and Youth World Cups)
  • Launch a national professional league (CPL)

The new strategic plan will consist of three pillars with three elements each:

Develop:

1. Continue to work with pro clubs on EXCEL pathway (new version of development pathway to be unveiled in future)
  2. Focus on coaching development (expand coaching courses and licences)
  3. Continue to work on club development (club licencing program)

Govern:

1. Align the objectives of Canada Soccer, provincial associations and pro clubs to ensure all are working together toward the improvement of soccer in Canada
  2. Achieve financial stability so that Canada Soccer can continue to provide consistent funding and human resources to its technical staff
  3. Technological innovation (establishment of a National Soccer Registry, new marketing and communications strategies)

Grow:

1. Continue to build on soccer's high participation rate in Canada with national development programs
  2. Achieve consistent world-class NT results
  3. Continue to work with all members of the Canadian soccer community to ensure future growth and success

The second link provides the most info yet.  It at least sets some decent goals.  I see a lot of strategic plans, and as far as documents go it presents a good structure.  The main thing will be if they actually pursue aggressive strategies to improve player development pathways and supports.  The actions they take - like increased camps to improve development, or increased friendlies for better preparation - will determine if it is ultimately successful.  

12 hours ago, Zem said:

Here's a summary for those who didn't have time to watch:

They are happy with the results of the previous (2014-18) strategic plan, which sought to:

• Invest in technical leadership (appointment of a Director of Development, Jason de Vos)
  • Achieve consistent world-class NT results (CWNTs having repeated success at Olympics and Youth World Cups)
  • Launch a national professional league (CPL)

Can't question this if you don't play world class matches.  Very strategic...

I believe that CMNT has done a great job with identification over the last 4 years - I think that has improved over past attempts tremendously - particularly with convincing fence-sitters to play for Canada. As far as the technical leadership, I'm not sure De Vos is actually all that technical but from what I hear and see, Canadian youth players appear to be more skilled than they have been in the past - probably due to the tech coaching staff. I still disagree with taking away the basic idea of the game which is to score and win (to concentrate on technical ability) at a grass roots level. I was also very vocal on the marketing behind the game which Montagliani (at the time) directly disputed and said that it should not be a focus. However... Canada has evolved over social media at a great pace and has been promoting young talents (Alphonso Davies and more) and it feels that CMNT has not only embraced but is now understanding that the power of marketing can do really good things. I fully expect that this charge will start putting more bums in seats at international matches, sell more merchandise  (I will be buying a Davies jersey) and so the momentum will keep shifting... Let's Go Canada!!!