Sign in to follow this  
Stryker911

CPL Power Rankings

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As PFC can be training outdoors now and have that advantage (including on the pitch at Westhills within a few weeks I'd say)

Pretty sure they could train on the pitch today if they wanted, but I believe they are in Tofino for camp there before heading  to the Caribbean.

1 minute ago, ted said:

Pretty sure they could train on the pitch today if they wanted, but I believe they are in Tofino for camp there before heading  to the Caribbean.

Tofino? Is there a reason to spend money taking players out of town, to worse weather, and a place where you barely have a field, when what you are paying could make a significant impact on improving salaries of your players? I don't get it. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tofino? Is there a reason to spend money taking players out of town, to worse weather, and a place where you barely have a field, when what you are paying could make a significant impact on improving salaries of your players? I don't get it. 

I think the idea was to take them somewhere a little bit isolated for team-building and physical training. They will have to get used to travelling together and Tofino is not crazy expensive in the off-season. It also sends a message to the players about their status that places them above the USL/PDL/L1O/BL4/etc if they are treated as professionals.

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

York 9FC- Full disclosure, I’m biased, I’m a SSH... that being said, I legitimately feel that they could be a contender. Telfer and Porter will be among the better wingers in the league. Aparicio is an underrated young midfielder with good experience. Di Chiara is another guy who never quite panned out but who is used to high level stuff and could spark his career back to life here. Gasparotto is yet another in the same vein. Also, as much shit as Brennan gets, the man knows soccer. He’s played at the highest level, and he is a qualified (albeit inexperienced) manager. I’m also confident that one or two of the others in the squad could surprise us in a good way. 

I'm thinking similar. I think their a real dark horse with a lot more raw talent than people are giving them credit for. Like Forge, they seem to have built a team with more balance than pzazz. I actually think most teams have done this so I think the season will be pretty competitive, but York and Forge look a little more balanced right now.

I don't see any Pacific signings that I'd consider particularly weak. There are some young players on the squad, but a few of them have a fair bit of professional experience and others are quite highly touted.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

I don't see any Pacific signings that I'd consider particularly weak. There are some young players on the squad, but a few of them have a fair bit of professional experience and others are quite highly touted.

keeper situation is possibly the weakest in the league (not counting york who have only 1 keeper atm). that's the one thing that really stands out. it's somewhat surprising.

i'd add they while there's a lot of pro experience amoung the youth, i would say many are somewhat raw (many weren't featured last year). i think they're great signings but not sure if their a champion team if they lose a key player to injury. could go either way. i'd like so see them sign more 2 or 3 guys like starostzik or fisk.

Edited by matty

Posted (edited)

Presently, as this has already changed from a few months ago:

1.Hamilton   - Still think they have the edge and a coach that knows most of the players and vice versa. Tough call between them and Pacific.

2. Pacific       - Their roster is getting stacked no doubt. Question marks on central defence still even with the two signings today. The manager is also an unknown quantity. 

3. York           - Another good looking roster, the addition of Telfer is huge! Again the coaching side is potentially a bit of an unknown but he has tons of playing experience and some great players to work with. 

4. Valour        - Solid coach, solid signings they will be competitive. Shame they didn't get both Gutierrez boys but they have a nice mix of players with a quality coach. 

4. Halifax       - The most experienced coach with the most eclectic mysterious squad. They weren't put together by accident and Hart knows how to manage. 

5. Edmonton   - From what I thought was the weakest squad to maybe a dark horse. Tons of energy and pace and like Forge players that know the coach and vice versa.

6. Cavalry        - They came in strong at the start of the roster build and I suspect will finish strong but things have somewhat mellowed out. Lots of potential and players with lots to prove but maybe the weaker of the squads so far? Just to fuel the fire in the players bellies with something to prove ;) 

Looking forward to returning in a few weeks once the rosters have been finalized to completely revise the order!

Edited by toontownman

Figured I would update my rankings since it has been a few weeks. Ranking shown followed by previous ranking in the brackets

1 (2). Pacific FC - Recent big signings Nakajima-Farran, De Jong, Fisk and Starostzik have pushed them ahead of the pack by a margin

2 (6). Valour FC - The big mover and shaker. Gale seems to have put together a pretty impressive roster. Hopefully he is more impressive than he was with the U20s. They are pretty well balanced with no one really above the rest, except maybe Arguinarena. Would still like to see them sign Danto, which is what would truly put them ahead of Cavalry, otherwise it is fairly even

3 (4). Cavalry FC - The base of Foothills signings gives them a strong foundation. The addition of some extras like Buscher, Trafford, and hopefully the signing of Eustquio will help them climb

4 (1). Forge FC - Over-reliant on Sigma signings. International signings so far underwhelming

5 (3). FC Edmonton - Some good high end talent for sure but with a heavy reliance on unproven young players. Will likely bode well for the future, but not enough to be a top team in the first year

6 (5). York 9 FC - They have over-relied on League1 for their base. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they haven't even managed to get the top League1 players from the past few years. Lots of good young Ontario based talent seems to have moved westwards looking for opportunity, and while they have made a couple "good" signings, their "good" signings really should have only been depth for them. Who is their starting keeper??

7 (7). HFX Wanderers - They have added some good pieces, but it just seems like too much of a mixed bag. A lot will depend on the Trinis they have signed that are a bit of an unknown, so they could be much better than 7th. Would like to see them add a few of their Maritimes trialists like Gaudet, Craig, and Greedy to the roster to give them a distinct feel

Alright, I'm going to give it a go. Mostly just pulled out of my rear end since I think I've only seen about 20 of these players ever play, and almost all of those (exceptions being the highly capped Canadians, from Bekker up) I have only see very limited minutes.

1. Forge - I feel like they have a solid team. Not as much star power as Pacific in particular, but they seem to be more evenly distributed.

2. Pacific - may be lacking in depth, but their high end talent should be the class of the league.

3. Wanderers - purely based on my faith in Stephen Hart.

4. York 9 - based on their roster they would probably be lower, but I'm giving them a little Carmine Isaaco bump. His bump is reduced by having Jim Brennan as his head coach, but I think Isaaco's positive contribution outstrips Brennan's negative. Plus there is a bit of my bias since this will be my home team.

5. Edmonton - They should be pretty solid, especially since this isn't their first ever season.

6. Cavalry - Might get off to a hot start because of pre-existing chemistry, but ultimately I don't think their roster seems that great.

7. Valour - it seems like they are moving up people's lists, but I'm not totally sure why. I'm not confident in Rob Gale's abilities. Someone has to be on the bottom unfortunately, so I'm putting his team on the bottom.

I'm going to try to make this my only ranking (at least before the season, we'll see what happens if there are weekly threads or something). Looking forward to looking back at this and seeing how wrong I was at the end of the season!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kent said:

7. Valour - it seems like they are moving up people's lists, but I'm not totally sure why. I'm not confident in Rob Gale's abilities. Someone has to be on the bottom unfortunately, so I'm putting his team on the bottom

Unlike some of the other teams there is nothing that jumps out as an obvious possible Achilles heel and they have fewer bizarre looking signings from very low levels in countries like Australia, Belgium and Sweden, so they may have got the balance right. Think certain parts of Latin America and the Caribbean are a good place to look in bang for your buck terms when you can only offer something like a $40k contract to somebody, so think the Valour and the Wanderers might be on the right track on the use of imports. Time will tell basically.

I'd go for:

1. Forge - may have overdone it a bit on the Sigma angle but waiting for late cuts and loans has paid off. A possible 86ers in the making, unfortunately, as this league needs a reasonable level of parity to be stable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

not much to choose between the next four as you can see good things happening as well as some possible weaknesses, but for the sake of argument:

2. Pacific - if the German centre back works out that might do enough to firm things up at the back, if not could drop down from here. Being the only BC team has helped them a lot in recruitment terms.

3. York 9 - should have been in poll position for GTA talent but haven't closed the deal as effectively as they should have with signs of some misplaced favouritism towards former players of a not very good L1O team, but still some very solid looking players thanks to being the league's Toronto team.

4. Wanderers - the imports are the key to making this franchise work because Nova Scotia won't provide enough local talent and Stephen Hart seems to have a reasonable looking plan in place.

5. Valour - see above. Losing out on the other Gutierrez was a setback as is the absence so far of David Edgar, who I suspect probably isn't planning on coming back if things go well at Hartlepool, but seems to have been very much in their plans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

think these two might struggle

6. FCE - not sold that they can do a Sigma style strategy with Edmonton academy players as effectively as Bobby Smyrniotis can given Sigma's superior track record on getting players signed at a pro level and some of the import moves have looked a bit odd.

7. Cavalry - bizarre use of imports has probably not sufficiently bolstered what is looking very like last year's Foothills roster.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I believe the league is going to be extremely tight, with any team able to beat any other team. I would predict 15-20 pts difference from top to bottom.

1. Forge - The best midfield in the game will show its quality. Forge will be unbeaten at home which will make all the difference.

2. Pacific - Will win the Spring season. High quality signings will make a huge difference. But won’t have the depth to last the whole season on top. 

3. FC Edmonton - I know I am biased, but this team will have very quick ball movement and a successful high press that will exhaust competitors. Will be the most fun team to watch, but will be inconsistent.

4. Valour - have a very balanced team front to back. I think Valour will be consistent throughout the year as a whole. Will be the best away team in the league, but will drop crucial points at home.

5. HFX - Will have a great back line and midfield, but will lack in finishing touch. There will be a lot of set piece goals that will save them from being lower in the table. 

6. York 9 - I dont think they have the defensive ability that many other teams have. I also don’t believe Brennan will be successful in implementing a playing style. I see this team scoring many goals, but also having the most goals against in the league.

7. Cavalry - Won’t quite have the quality of other teams in midfield and up front. The lack of offence will cause problems I think. They will be well organized in defence, but I predict a lot of draws which won’t work well in the CPL in my opinion.