Sign in to follow this  
Kent

CPL players with senior Canada caps

Posted (edited)

I thought it would be fun to see which players on CPL rosters are capped. Here is the list as of January 9th.

Canada    
Nik Ledgerwood Cavalry 50
Marcus Haber Pacific 27
Kyle Bekker Forge 18
Randy Edwini-Bonsu Edmonton 10
Kyle Porter York 9 6
Manny Aparicio York 9 1

Foreign    
Jan-Michael Williams Trinidad & Tobago 79
Bertrand Owundi Cameroon 2
Akeem Garcia Trinidad & Tobago 1
Elton John Trinidad & Tobago 1

Teams Canada caps Total caps
Wanderers 0 81
Cavalry 50 50
Pacific 27 27
Forge 18 20
Edmonton 10 10
York 9 7 7
Valour 0 0

I'll probably stop keeping track when the season kicks off and maybe revisit before season 2.

Edited by Kent

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I thought it would be fun to see which players on CPL rosters are capped. Here is the list as of January 9th.

Nik Ledgerwood 50
Marcus Haber 27
Kyle Bekker 18
Randy Edwini-Bonsu 10
Kyle Porter 6

If/when there are teams with more than one capped player, I'll start putting the team totals as well. I'll probably stop keeping track when the season kicks off and maybe revisit before season 2.

nice, i hope each team has at least 1 guy for kick off.

also should include non canadian senior capped players as well as they pop up

14 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I’ll be especially excited to see how long it takes for the first previously uncapped player the get their first CMNT cap, particularly if a CPL club is their first professional club. 

Agreed. This will be a additional (very) interesting stat to watch 

Look forward to the first post filling half the page in a few years .

It's a good start. Cant see too many being added to the list this year but maybe we will be surprised or better still some uncapped CPL players earn them.

What about the Fury's Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare (5 caps), Nana Attakora (10), Chris Mannella (1), David Monsalve (1), Maxime Tissot (12), and Jamar Dixon (3)? Shouldn't you add them to your list? 😋

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’ll be especially excited to see how long it takes for the first previously uncapped player the get their first CMNT cap, particularly if a CPL club is their first professional club. 

This is one of the reasons I want to stop updating when the season kicks off, and start again next offseason. I want to see year to year the changes. Both in terms of signing capped players, and players getting capped based on CPL.

The other reason I want to stop then is laziness.

32 minutes ago, Initial B said:

What about the Fury's Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare (5 caps), Nana Attakora (10), Chris Mannella (1), David Monsalve (1), Maxime Tissot (12), and Jamar Dixon (3)? Shouldn't you add them to your list? 😋

Maybe next year ;)

4 hours ago, matty said:

nice, i hope each team has at least 1 guy for kick off.

also should include non canadian senior capped players as well as they pop up

I considered that. Since there is at least one person interest, I can do that if/when it happens.

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

I considered that. Since there is at least one person interest, I can do that if/when it happens.

I was just about to jump in to talk about Franco-Ontarian Zakary Sukunda having been capped but then I wiki'd the kid and turns out he hasn't been capped yet. I got to see him when he was with FC Montréal and he's actually really, really good. I can't imagine he'll be off the list for long. 

Almost certainly Jackson Farmer will be added in the coming weeks. 

Maybe Manny Aparicio although he just joined a club in lower league Spain, dropping down a division in the process which is a shame. Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, Caleb Clarke, Jordan Hamilton, Quillan Roberts?

Tyler Rosenlund, Evan James- do they even play anymore?

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Maybe Manny Aparicio although he just joined a club in lower league Spain, dropping down a division in the process which is a shame. Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, Caleb Clarke, Jordan Hamilton, Quillan Roberts?

Manny Aparicio is out of contract now I believe.  

Few other capped names that could/should be realistic: Matt Stinson, Stefan Cebara, La'vere Corbin-Ong, Issey Nakajima, Tomer Chencinski, Ben Fisk, Ben McKendry, Haidar Al-Shaïbani, Mason Trafford.  A few of those guys may not play anymore but I know they were active as late as 2017.   

Issey has always said he would be interested. I think most of those guys will likely stick for this season while keeping an eye on the leage but we could easily see the likes of those names but even Tesho and AJH if they don't get more playing time this season. Edgar of course might be on the list soon too. Hopefully.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

This is one of the reasons I want to stop updating when the season kicks off, and start again next offseason. I want to see year to year the changes. Both in terms of signing capped players, and players getting capped based on CPL.

The other reason I want to stop then is laziness.

Dude we play how many matches a year? Keep it up ; )

Edited by hamiltonfan

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Manny will be playing for York9...haven’t heard much on the other names

Updated the original post. Next time I update I'll probably put the club teams beside the Canadian players' names. But you know, that laziness thing again.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Updated the original post. Next time I update I'll probably put the club teams beside the Canadian players' names. But you know, that laziness thing again.

If you want all the fame and glory that comes along with maintaining a good V thread, you have to put the effort in.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If you want all the fame and glory that comes along with maintaining a good V thread, you have to put the effort in.

I’d rather forfeit that fame so I can walk down the street without the paparazzi breathing down my neck.

I've added Bertrand Owundi even though transfermarkt doesn't have any caps listed for him. The CPL release mentioned he was capped by Cameroon so I consulted Wikipedia and he has 3 caps according to them.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

I've added Bertrand Owundi even though transfermarkt doesn't have any caps listed for him. The CPL release mentioned he was capped by Cameroon so I consulted Wikipedia and he has 3 caps according to them.

Transfer Markt (and FIFA maybe) might see his caps as being unofficial as the tournament is kind of for the best of the domestic leagues rather than traditional national teams

Edited by matty

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

Soccerway tends to be more accurate for stats

https://us.soccerway.com/players/bertrand-owundi-ekoo/532069/

He has two caps, not three and yes - they’re official caps.