Sign in to follow this  
BLennard

TOKYO 2020

I decided to create this topic cause I think we are due one. The Olympics are approaching fast and the qualifications even faster (guessing early 2020). I don't want to start too many rumours as nothing has been made official yet, but we should get a good look at what the initial squad will look like in the coming months. 

Which U23 players would you like to see represent our country? I'd say a front 3 of Davies-Tabla-Millar is a good start. 😬

Only trouble here is teams are not, at least I don't think, required to release players. 

If any of those players are seeing first team action, it seems unlikely they will be on a U23 team. 

In all honesty, all three are playing at arguably the 3 best clubs in the world. I could not see how the Olympics would hurt their cause. If any of the three became a first team player, even more to celebrate!

When do we think the best timing for us would be?  April 2012 we had a strong team but we didnt have players at big euro clubs.. I think the only guy missing was Straith.  

October 2015 was garbage.  Literally made no sense that we left off certain MLS guys only to call them to the senior game against Ghana in the same month.  Fall as we also saw this past year is an awful time for us as we won’t get first team european or MLS players.  I think April 2020 would be ideal as there will be no overlap with the senior team and MLS teams will likely be okay with releasing guys.

There are so many factors that will contribute to determining which players will be attending.  There are also a number of young players who may emerge in the next 12-18 months.  

The cutoff is January 1, 1997 which would mean that of current MNT rotation players you could have:

Pantemis - 1997

Twardek - 1997

Godinho - 1997

Cornelius - 1997

Fraser - 1998

ZBG - 1998

Tabla - 1999

Millar - 1999

David - 2000

Busti - 2000

Phonsie - 2000

As we know, there are many other young talents that could make this squad but this is just based around our current Senior team.

Also interesting to note that Fikayo Tomori is eligible.

8 hours ago, Corazon said:

There are so many factors that will contribute to determining which players will be attending.  There are also a number of young players who may emerge in the next 12-18 months.  

The cutoff is January 1, 1997 which would mean that of current MNT rotation players you could have:

Pantemis - 1997

Twardek - 1997

Godinho - 1997

Cornelius - 1997

Fraser - 1998

ZBG - 1998

Tabla - 1999

Millar - 1999

David - 2000

Busti - 2000

Phonsie - 2000

As we know, there are many other young talents that could make this squad but this is just based around our current Senior team.

Also interesting to note that Fikayo Tomori is eligible.

That could be a very good squad:

-------------David----Millar------------

Davies------------------------------Tabla

----------------Fraser---?-------------------

?------------Cornelius--?-----------ZBG

--------------------Busti--------------------

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cristián Gutiérrez !!!!!

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

You could also add in 3 overage players into those positions to fill the gap, unless the rule on that has changed.

43 minutes ago, Corazon said:

You could also add in 3 overage players into those positions to fill the gap, unless the rule on that has changed.

That’s only in the Olympics, not qualifying. Anyway, it’s depressing even looking at @Obinna ‘s XI and realizing we have virtually no shot of getting that team together. Let’s hope in the future as our pool continues to expand we get a u21 continental competition that falls on international dates so we can actually have matches for young players.  The issue is that the rest of our region is too poor to afford such a competition.  

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I know a little young but if he develops well over the next couple months, it would be interesting to see that super tall Okello kid next to Fraser in that lineup

I also think Tabla moved more infield as an attacking midfielder is an option 

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I know a little young but if he develops well over the next couple months, it would be interesting to see that super tall Okello kid next to Fraser in that lineup

I also think Tabla moved more infield as an attacking midfielder is an option 

I agree. I think Okello has the potential to be a breakout player, but he must improve to be in that conversation.

As for Tabla, yes for sure. I would be very interested to see him in that role.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

That comment above from hdhzwhatever looks like spam. Is there a way to report it? Is the way to report it just to tag @socceronly?

Use the flag icon at the top right of each post.