Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

How to handle membership prices at a pre game party?

Thoughts on how to cover this? 

Let's say a hoodie costs $35, with a member price of $20.  

The membership prices for merch are going to be steeply discounted.  

How do you implement this on game day?  There usually isn't a lot of space as it is, and it gets pretty hectic as game time approaches.

monkey wrench GIF

Also does member A buy stuff for non member B who they brought to a game? 

I think so. 

But at what point is that just being exploited vs making new fans which is the whole point of our existence. 

I think the only solution to this is to pre order it through the site for pick up at the event for member discount pricing.  That solves several problems at once. 

The only trouble here is people are really really unreliable in this department.  Getting to a pre game party on a Tuesday 7pm Kick Off in Toronto for example can be impossible at times. 

Why do we have two prices? Are we really going to be selling a lot of merch to non-Voyageurs? If people want some "exclusives" for members we can do those by pre-sale.

But if we must have two-tier pricing, getting the member discount for pre-paying seems reasonable. One price for cash at the merch table makes things easier.

10 hours ago, ted said:

Why do we have two prices? Are we really going to be selling a lot of merch to non-Voyageurs? If people want some "exclusives" for members we can do those by pre-sale.

But if we must have two-tier pricing, getting the member discount for pre-paying seems reasonable. One price for cash at the merch table makes things easier.

The trouble is we are not a club SG.  Attendance in those sections and at those events are mostly very stable. 

If you took the numbers from this site for the sake of reasoning as 'Voyageurs', then most of what we sell is to non Voyageurs. 

Let's say we do extremely well and sell 300 memberships.  Let's be pricks in our scrap paper math brainstorming and say Jeff scared away everyone in the prairies and we are evenly split between Toronto and Vancouver.   That is 150 in each city for a section in which we sell over 2000 tickets, or more for a bigger game. 

Who is a Voyageur?  It's an age old question that is about to get more defined.   We need to keep that definition palpable and not drive people away.

There will be reasons to join beyond trinket x y or z.   Real benefits wrt to ticket price and merch are financial incentives but they are not the reason you want people to join.  You want people to join to feel part of something, to support something and build something. 

The merch has never really been sold at a profit.  Embroidered hats $10, t-shirts 3 color silk screened $10 ect. 

What the membership revenue does is stabilize the financials rather than rely on merch sales at a higher price which is at best simply random.   The cheaper merch price is our easiest membership win for people that is tangible. 

3 minutes ago, socceronly said:

The merch has never really been sold at a profit.  Embroidered hats $10, t-shirts 3 color silk screened $10 ect.

I guess as someone who will be a member and pay the membership, I don't expect to get a discount at the pre-game merch table.

I'd like access to some member exclusives but general game-day merch? I'd rather support the Vees by paying "full price". But as we all know I'm odd. ;)

1 minute ago, ted said:

I guess as someone who will be a member and pay the membership, I don't expect to get a discount at the pre-game merch table.

I'd like access to some member exclusives but general game-day merch? I'd rather support the Vees by paying "full price". But as we all know I'm odd. ;)

Well the discount would be in the online store, and held for pick up at the pre game party.  Not a discount at the table itself. 

Game day merch is super problematic.   One car accident on the QEW on a weekday and our pre game attendance is cut in half.   Our numbers are so dependent external variables like venue, location, game day, time, opponent, competition....

EDIT: oops, read that as game day specific merch. 

What is full price for the merch?  Outside of scarves (ours are still $20 in 2018) they are the only thing we really 'make' money from. 

Now that we are legit, and will have an accountant going over things we can 'make' monkey off of merch.  For example

Scarves remain the same:  $20 for members, $30 for non members.

Shirts  Currently $10,  $15 for members, $20 for non members.

Maybe this is all just too damn complex, or seems so. It is very easy to do in the online store. 

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

Would it be possible to have 1st item at X 2nd+ at X+Y and non-V's at X+Y+Z? I'd put it at resetting every 6 /12 months.  That's an idea. 

There are a few ways you could do that or something similar.

I think all of this is being overthought.

Just going to keep it simple.

Support the site, and membership discounts in the store and on tickets.