Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

Voyageurs Coins - Membership Item

Looking at two things for base of the membership package. 

Voyageurs Passport (for your first membership year)

Voyageurs Coins. 

These can be easily mailed without hitting package pricing and will fit through what is known as the 'slot of doom' at the post office.

Annual collectable coins, and speciality coins as well to mark events and milestones. 

Some examples below. 

Cheap-Zodiac-Talisman-Token-Coin-Antique-Custom.jpg

Professional-Custom-Cheap-Metal-3D-Challenge-Coin.jpg

Sexy.

To be hones I would rather a pin (for the membership anyway).  Lapel pin kinda thing.  Can get some reasonably priced high quality stuff made up and they'd be more than a keep-sake in a drawer somewhere.

Had a couple of Winnipeg Fury pins from back in the day and would kill to have one around still but lost them here and there.  They were that smart and would be a bit of a novelty now (to those who knew what they were seeing).  

Yeah, no idea what I would do with coins.

Small pins would be better.

We are doing embroidered membership patches for the Lake Side Buoys.

Pins may be an issue with the mail slot and thus shipping cost.  Not sure if there is such a thing as a low profile pin that would be secure.  I would not be apposed to an annual patch - which would also lend itself to collection and display.  Maybe we could sew them onto our proprietary jean jackets.

The coins are sort of odd, but they are also unique.   They can be collected without taking up much space.  

We however are old, and I can see how it is (even for myself, not particularly interesting).   The goal was to give kids and other people something to collect with little to no financial impact on the membership fee.

Pins would up to 6 times more expensive than the coins.   50 cents Canadian vs 2.50 US.

It is also not clear if the pins will fit through the slot of doom.   Some measure as much as .75 inches in depth, the slot of doom is 0.8.  Add in the envelope and anything else in it and you are close to it not working. Worse, it works at your end but X% of them don't get through picky slot checkers at the other end.  Don't know if these are random or not... but it does happen apparently.

I like pins too. 

Ideally patches but they present some of their own problems you end up downloading on other people. 

If the coins really do turn out to be that cheap, I might just do them anyway in addition to a pin or patch. 

10 hours ago, ted said:

Yeah, no idea what I would do with coins.

Small pins would be better.

We are doing embroidered membership patches for the Lake Side Buoys.

What will they put them on, or will they just collect them? 

Where did you get them done?  Are they sew on or iron on?   If they have an adhesive you need to make sure you are getting the retail grade adhesive and not commercial or a regular iron may not put it on properly and people will lose them. 

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Sexy.

To be hones I would rather a pin (for the membership anyway).  Lapel pin kinda thing.  Can get some reasonably priced high quality stuff made up and they'd be more than a keep-sake in a drawer somewhere.

Had a couple of Winnipeg Fury pins from back in the day and would kill to have one around still but lost them here and there.  They were that smart and would be a bit of a novelty now (to those who knew what they were seeing).  

I'll take a bunch of lapel pins to the post office and do a test.  My guess is they would barely fit through. 

Perhaps there are some lower profile ones we could get.

25 minutes ago, socceronly said:

What will they put them on, or will they just collect them? 

Where did you get them done?  Are they sew on or iron on?   

We designed our 2019 scarf to be very plain on one side as a place to sew each year's badge on going forward. Some of us have talked about putting them on our jerseys or jackets or vests.

We got our patches from Zone West. They are a huge supplier to Scouting groups which is where I knew them from. They do great work very fast and for reasonable prices.

I think they are just sew on. You can also buy something like Badge Magic which works really well at any Scout Shop across the country. 

4 minutes ago, ted said:

We designed our 2019 scarf to be very plain on one side as a place to sew each year's badge on going forward. Some of us have talked about putting them on our jerseys or jackets or vests.

We got our patches from Zone West. They are a huge supplier to Scouting groups which is where I knew them from. They do great work very fast and for reasonable prices.

I think they are just sew on. You can also buy something like Badge Magic which works really well at any Scout Shop across the country. 

Have you actually tried sewing one on a scarf yet?

When they embroider those, they don't do it through  and through (at least they shouldn't)  it's part of the manufacturing. 

How do you sew it on without mangling the front?

Also the poly in the scarves shrinks, badly if you try to head press/iron it.  It also mangles the crap out of your scarf so don't try that.

8 minutes ago, socceronly said:

Have you actually tried sewing one on a scarf yet?

Not yet. Thanks for the tips.

I'll probably put mine on my jersey. I like the plain wavy bars too much to obscure them.  ;)

3 hours ago, ted said:

Not yet. Thanks for the tips.

I'll probably put mine on my jersey. I like the plain wavy bars too much to obscure them.  ;)

Next problem... ;)    Now you see the process I have to go through....

If you put it on your jersey, before you do, check with the company that made them if they will block dye migration.

It most likely it will, as it is thick, however.... and is a bit of an edge concern but....  the soccer jerseys we buy are all sublimated.   

It is possible if the dye will re sublimate in the application or even in the dryer/wash and stain the patch.   So if you put it on a red jersey, the white part of your patch becomes pink.