jpg75

MLS Shortening Season

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/mls-goes-to-all-knockout-playoff-format-1.1227836

Play-offs single game elimination, season will end about a month earlier.

Thank god, the playoffs are too drawn out in the current format - especially with Int'l window(s) thrown in.

I am going to miss the two leg matchups.  Some of the most memorable soccer events and matches in canada over the past several years, were two leg matches.   At the same time, I agree that the international window threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. 

But with just one game to win and advance,  it makes the play off matchups almost a coin toss affair.  One team (likely the visiting team) can park the bus for eighty minutes and wait for a lucky break and advance.  The lucky break can also come in the form of penalties during the first ninety or after 120 minutes.  Meaning that a far superior team (with attacking prowess and talent) can be denied their due in favour of a mediocre squad with no faces and stars. 

Edited by Free kick

Compared to other sports,  are mls play offs really that long?  The last game of the season is usually the last weekend of October (ie.; Oct 28 or October 30).   So the play offs start in the first week of November and the final is on something like Dec 3-10.  It was held in TO on Dec 10.   Even with the international window in between,  thats about 5 weeks.  Identical to the NFL.  For basketball and Hockey its April thru end of June (3 months).   Baseball is about three weeks, four max. 

The part where i agree with you guys is that by holding the final so late is the year, it means the off season is way too short for the finalist.  Moreso with CCL play starting in Feb.  hence that was the cause of all the injuries this year.    I understand the need to finish the year sooner.

7 hours ago, Free kick said:

I am going to miss the two leg matchups.  Some of the most memorable soccer events and matches in canada over the past several years, were two leg play off matches.   At the same time, I agree that the international window threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. 

But with just one game to win and advance,  it makes the play matchups almost a coin toss affair.  One team (likely the visiting team) can park the bus for eighty minutes and wait for a lucky break and advance.  Meaning that a far superior team (with attacking prowess and talent) can be denied their due in favour of a mediocre squad with no faces and stars. 

It's a regular season, plus a short FA CUP.  Or a sort of November Madness. Makes the Supporter's Shield more important. And the MLS Cup should really be the secondary trophy after that, like those post Apertura/Clausura playoffs. 

Single game knockouts are fine, but that also cuts deeply into revenue for teams that make playoffs--basically it makes them unprofitable for half the teams.

I like it the season plus playoffs was just way too much with CCL around the corner good teams were almost punished for making deep runs. Now MLS will have to consider teams need more depth with a condensed schedule and should raise the salary cap otherwise some of these games will look like a USL game. 

3 hours ago, masster said:

For non playoff teams, the season is too short. 7 months in MLS compared to 9 months in Europe. 

Doesn’t preseason start in Feb? Feb to Oct isn’t that short. 

5 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Doesn’t preseason start in Feb? Feb to Oct isn’t that short. 

OK, if you want to include preseason...8 months in MLS vs 10 months in Europe. For almost 50% of the players in the league, the season is too short.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:15 AM, masster said:

OK, if you want to include preseason...8 months in MLS vs 10 months in Europe. For almost 50% of the players in the league, the season is too short.

If you don't look at the length of the season but at the number of games, the season is packed. Especially considering the travel that's involved als well.