Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

Hitting the reset button on songs and chants.

**** this is not a thread for song suggestions ****

This is not a thread for suggesting songs, we need a broader conversation first. In no particular order I'm just brainstorming some questions.

1. Why do we sing songs? 

1a. When is it a song, and when is it a chant, when is it straight up taunting the other team?

2. What actually gets other people to participate?  In the case of the viking clap, people in the stadium clearly respond to visual cues and participate when they can.  This should be a clue to something greater.  We need to find a way to do something like this but make it our own.

3. What is actually good for players? 

4. What makes a song work?  What makes it good and why?   The songs that supporters groups do sing, are copied all over the world. Why? 

5.  How do you teach people a new song?

6.  What audio/ visual cues can you use in the stadium to coordinate people in our own sections, but also beyond?

7.  Fuck all conventions.  We are not tied to what is ultra or cool or anything.  I don't give a shit what is considered kosher supporters culture. 

8. How would you feel, if possible and most importantly genuine, about the involvement of any kind of celebrity/professional aspect to helping out in this department.  I must stress, genuine interest only and not PR.

9.  Choir practice.  We need to arrange these a few weeks before a game where possible.   This would be akin to a beer bender with mandatory singing.

I’m certain I don’t have the answer to what is good for players. But I’m terms of atmosphere, inclusion, and enjoyment I think I have a bit of an idea. 

There seems to be two distinct approaches 1) Capo led - The obvious benefits are coordination and potential to be the loudest for the longest. But there are clear drawbacks as well. First the chants tend to be disconnected from the game. If there’s a particular play that could use a response (singing a players name after a good play) it’s a regular thing that the opportunity is missed. Finally, chants can get a bit ‘vanilla’ as games go on. After the fifth time doing Allez Les Rouges, it doesn’t have quite the same jump. 

2) Spontaneous/no Capo - Similarly there are good and bad features. It’s super fun to invent something and have the rest of the section pick it up. You can be very plugged in and responsive to the play. Occasionally people can stumble on some real gems that become instant classics. But the coordination suffers as does the pure level of sound. 

I think the idea we should try is a HYBRID of these two ideas. 

Have a Capo. But have the Capo go forward with the understanding that if they hear something started spontaneously that they pick up on it and translate it to the rest of the supporters. It would give others a chance to lead a bit, be spontaneous, and have fun. But it would also mean that the Capo and supporters would need a different understanding of how to operate. Supporters would have to understand that if you hear something (from somewhere else but the Capo) to try and pick up on it, join in, and support it. The Capo would need to be on their toes too. But then we all would still have to be willing to pick up on something the Capo starts too. It simply wouldn’t be all on that email Capo to lead and everyone else follow. 

I am totally down with the hybrid thing. 

I think we need more things that directly intract with the game in some manner.   

90 minutes of participationg shouldn't mean 90 minutes of capo driven repetitive songs. 

They energy they put in is awesome and always appreciated. But we do need to do somethign new.  We need to reach beyond the the section, as clearly the will is there to participate. 

It's what and how.

This is a good discussion to have. But I don't have the time or patience to commit a couple of hours to write out my responses with the proper nuance. Given my experiences of working with various groups, there are no simple answers.

11 minutes ago, masster said:

This is a good discussion to have. But I don't have the time or patience to commit a couple of hours to write out my responses with the proper nuance. Given my experiences of working with various groups, there are no simple answers.

Doesn't have to be perfect or answer every question.