Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

Membership brainstorming

Recommended Posts

What we know.

Annual single payment through site/PayPal.  Manual options for sensible people who eschew technology.
Cost:  $19.86

What it will include

  • Significant discounts on tickets. (our almost at cost model)
  • Membership benefits we can create with partners.  As the numbers grow, so would the benefits. 
  • Special event access
  • Voting access for things like tifo, merch, awards
  • Increased or maintain site feature access - ignore, blocking, blog, gallery ect....
  • Full site access - We can decide what that means, but definitely member only access to planning forums
  • Separate V's store with discounted merchandise and member only merchandise
  • Trips and away games - This is actually necessary to sell trips legally in most of Canada. 
  • plus THING

 

What we don't know

What is THING?  Whatever thing is, it needs to be sent by regular mail.    10.5" x14.9"  x 0.6" inch maximum size. Go beyond this and you hit package shipping and it is game over.   All size t-shirts will fit into this package.

I am largely stuck on thing.  Scarves are out unless you are charging $25+ for membership, and people have A LOT of scarves.

Whatever thing is, it must be able to be sent by regular mail, and be something I can make or not invoke some serious capital cost for an unspecified number of things.  It should be something 'collectible' in nature I think. 

Annual patches?
8x10 team photo glossies?
Annual V's pennant you can hang and be a super nerd?
Annual tshirt?

 

Ideas?
 


 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T shirts are always useful, but I am not sure if is the best way to use the funds.  I have no idea what they cost you, but at minimum there are inputs (T shirt and logo materials) and postage.  That has to chew into the $20 paid in to support the V's.  Even if you can move them out the door for as little as $5 shipped, that would amount to immediately giving up 25% of the potential revenue right away.  

Personally, if I am buying a membership (and I will), I would be fine knowing it was all going to the organization.  Recognizing that opinions will vary, I don't think $20 is excessive, so I don't need a tee as incentive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

T shirts are always useful, but I am not sure if is the best way to use the funds.  I have no idea what they cost you, but at minimum there are inputs (T shirt and logo materials) and postage.  That has to chew into the $20 paid in to support the V's.  Even if you can move them out the door for as little as $5 shipped, that would amount to immediately giving up 25% of the potential revenue right away.  

Personally, if I am buying a membership (and I will), I would be fine knowing it was all going to the organization.  Recognizing that opinions will vary, I don't think $20 is excessive, so I don't need a tee as incentive. 

I would like to bump the quality of the shirts in general.  I can't see moving to the Canadian made ones, they are fantastic shirts but more than 3 times the cost of our current ones.  I think it makes sense to use them, but it won't work for somethign like this where cost is bigger factor than something you simply sell. 

If we were to use a middle ground shirt, on that basis, shipping, shirt and printing would be on the order of half, so coming in at just under $10.

The other option would be to just charge $10, same net, no work. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To give people an idea of what we are trying to hit.

Hosting - Cloud based SaaS for this site & sister site CSN getting rebooted when I go back to Vancouver

Current: $200US a month, $3,200CAD / year -> come 2026  -- $25,600
Expected growth: $460US a month, $7340CAD / year -> come  2026 -- $58, 720

Based on the expected growth, we would need based solely off of memberships 500 people at $19.86 to hit $10k with 100% net on the membership value. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

What about overseas folk? I am guessing postage would cost too much? 

That's easy to fix.  But postage for what?   Do you mean things from the store? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

above you mentioned a "thing" being included and it needing to fit within a certain size to save on postage.

Ah sorry.

Not if that thing fit the shipping guidelines. The difference would be ok. As a package it would be ugly, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be on board with $20.26 - look to the future, not to the past.

I like the annual patch idea out of all of them.  The pennant isn't a bad idea, but it's not exactly associated with soccer (seems more baseball) and it starts getting close to a scarf.

The idea of an annual scarf intrigues me but that would get expensive (plus old stock would become useless).

Edited by Gopherbashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be okay with paying $20.26 for the membership & getting nothing mailed, but it probably would help sell the membership to some people.  A patch seems easy to mail.  Maybe you could include a tick box when people buy the membership to allow people to opt out of the 'thing' and have the full membership fee go toward the Voyageurs costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrsC said:

I'd be okay with paying $20.26 for the membership & getting nothing mailed, but it probably would help sell the membership to some people.  A patch seems easy to mail.  Maybe you could include a tick box when people buy the membership to allow people to opt out of the 'thing' and have the full membership fee go toward the Voyageurs costs.

Or give them a choice by having a huge discount in the store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'd be on board with $20.26 - look to the future, not to the past.

I like the annual patch idea out of all of them.  The pennant isn't a bad idea, but it's not exactly associated with soccer (seems more baseball) and it starts getting close to a scarf.

The idea of an annual scarf intrigues me but that would get expensive (plus old stock would become useless).

I think by pennant i was thinking, not pennant specifically but the concept.  A kind of annual collectible thing that is similar in style but unique every year.   Something you can hang or collect like a small flag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 10:08 AM, socceronly said:

I think by pennant i was thinking, not pennant specifically but the concept.  A kind of annual collectible thing that is similar in style but unique every year.   Something you can hang or collect like a small flag. 

Yeah I like the small annual thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×