Jump to content
dbailey62

We've lost Jarrek! :(

Recommended Posts

We've lost Jarrek, one of the original Voyageurs. I've only just found out. Jaroslaw Popowicz is his real name and I met him via the Toronto Lynx many years ago!

He was a great guy and I'm in shock! :(

RIP my friend!

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fturnerporter.permavita.com%2Fsite%2FJaroslawPopowicz.html%3Fs%3D40&h=AT0s5OVlXNYEFBIs2hoNcu3nmmhg13_IAWTVuD91jJN4wmeXAadrN8xlN9it0SyNRUsFXQfhe2a2EU50dufrEDhTywdUjPqUhNGSGmJVSLgRHJYcaaWn67euTTueyqtcRYagJZG348s

 

Edited by dbailey62
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jarrek was not only a longtime Voyageur, he actually ran and funded this very Voyageurs board for years until the keys were given to @socceronly.

Jarrek was involved in our first ever scarf run and personally gave me my first Vs scarf more than 10 years ago.  He was also an original contributor to the Voyageurs Cup trophy fundraising drive. 

He leaves behind many friends in the Toronto soccer supporters scene and especially in U-Sector, the supporters group he helped establish.  

RIP @Jarrek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am absolutely shocked to read of this tonight.

I remember back to when I was quite a bit younger - maybe 15 or 16 and heading to Lynx games at Varsity. A few times Jarrek would drive me down to the city to catch the games. I remember he had a black 300 ZX, which 15 year old me thought was hot shit. Part of 33 year old me still feels nostalgic toward it ; ) ......... I also remember the countless hours he put into building and fostering the soccer supporters community within Toronto, and by extension and Canada as a whole. I lost touch with him over the past years, but fleeting views into his life always showed him as a true family man, and generally a guy of top character. Just as I remember him. Bummer.

RIP Jarrek. My condolences to his brother Pawel - who was also part of those early days - and to Jarrek's young family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never met the man, but remember that he hosted the forum when I first started popping in, and he organised to send me two of the first run of Voyageurs' scarves in Melbourne way back when.

Forty is entirely too young for anybody to go, particularly one with a young family. Do we know how he died?

Just going to throw this out there...perhaps a fundraising table and some collection buckets in Vancouver in March to raise some money for a donation in his honour to a relevant charity, or even for a scholarship trust for his kids, might be in order. Just a small way for the current Voyageurs to express appreciation for one of the pioneers. Just a thought....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just recently reading over some old Voyageurs e-mail correspondence.  One was from Jarrek and I wondered what he'd been doing since.  Sad to here this.

I know he also ran a Canada rugby forum (probably the first) along the lines of the Voyageurs BB forum for a while.  Definitely a pioneer.  Thank you, Jarrek. 👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Thank you for all the well wishes. My brother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Friday. It has been a very difficult time for my family as we are all devastated. Reading your personal memories about my brother however helps ease the pain we feel. I have some of my fondest memories of him when we attended Toronto Lynx, TFC, and Canada matches. @Varsity Tyler your memory of him really matches my memory of him as he would often drive me soccer games in his 300ZX, it brought a big smile to my face. 

I have expressed some thoughts regarding my brother here that really can't do justice as to how much he impacted my life, https://www.facebook.com/pawel.popowicz/posts/10156436598142203. As posted earlier regarding the visitation and funeral information, all are more than welcome to attend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PawelPopowicz said:

Hello,

Thank you for all the well wishes. My brother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Friday. It has been a very difficult time for my family as we are all devastated. Reading your personal memories about my brother however helps ease the pain we feel. I have some of my fondest memories of him when we attended Toronto Lynx, TFC, and Canada matches. @Varsity Tyler your memory of him really matches my memory of him as he would often drive me soccer games in his 300ZX, it brought a big smile to my face. 

I have expressed some thoughts regarding my brother here that really can't do justice as to how much he impacted my life, https://www.facebook.com/pawel.popowicz/posts/10156436598142203. As posted earlier regarding the visitation and funeral information, all are more than welcome to attend.

Deepest condolences Pawel. 

Jarrek's legacy in Canadian soccer will truly live on through the iconic Voyageurs scarf he designed back in 2005.    

 

 

atiba2.PNG

20160904_Borjan_Voyageurs_ww.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stunning news. I live a long way from Toronto, but I think Jarrek has been around longer than I have and I first met him nearly 20 years ago at Varsity. Just thinking about the early U Sector days and how that has evolved and grown to what we see at the Lake Side at BMO. So many people put in so much time and effort for nothing but love and passion for the game in those early days with the Lynx at Varsity. And Jarrek was at the heart of that. He contributed so much over the years.

 

My condolences to Pawel and the rest of his family. RIP Jarrek.

 

matthew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very sad news and my sincerest condolences to his friends and family. 

I didn't know Jarrek beyond this group and the forums but he demonstrated a firm commitment to keeping things running smoothly and was an integral part of the Voyageurs operations for several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is truly a sad sad news. 

It's ironic to feel so much sadness for someone you never met, but I worked virtually  with Jarrek for a number of years as we took Voyageurs V2.0 and turned  it into Voyageurs V3.0.

He spent countless hours to re-build the voyageurs 2nd website and spent a lot of time with the setup of the new site and new forum
and  the logos.

In those early days, when nobody really believes in you and you are more likely to be laughed at rather than taken seriously and when soccer in Canada was still struggling at club level  , it was a measure of Jarrek's character, when he willingly volunteered so much time and skills to something he was passionate about.

It was a pleasure to work with Jarrek and he will be sadly missed.

Rest in peace Jarrek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been thinking about this a bit....wouldn't a memorial scarf, possibly produced as a fundraiser for his child, be a most appropriate gesture? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad to hear about this and condolences to his family. I don't think I ever met him but he has been involved in the Voyageurs a long time and one gets to know the other people on here over the years and consider them as friends even if only online. A big loss for the Voyageurs and an even bigger loss for his family and friends. Here is an old thread about him: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we, as a group, can do?  I have to admit I really have no experience with this kind of thing and have been hesitant to post anything.  I know USector is organizing some flowers for the service.  I was thinking somethign more for the family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, socceronly said:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we, as a group, can do?  I have to admit I really have no experience with this kind of thing and have been hesitant to post anything.  I know USector is organizing some flowers for the service.  I was thinking somethign more for the family. 

How about a plaque something along the lines of what we gave to Radzinski for his service to the national team but in Jarrek's case in honour of his service to the Voyageurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, socceronly said:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we, as a group, can do?  I have to admit I really have no experience with this kind of thing and have been hesitant to post anything.  I know USector is organizing some flowers for the service.  I was thinking somethign more for the family. 

If a lot of Vs are travelling to Vancouver for the game in March, perhaps we could do a pub night, along the lines that a lot of kids' hockey and soccer teams do as fundraisers. They're usually along the lines of the pub letting the host group sell tickets for ten bucks, which include a burger and/or a beer. The group keeps the ticket revenue and the pub gets a packed room of drinkers for the night. The proceeds from tickets, plus a 50/50 and/or prize raffle, could either be given to Jarrek's family, or to a relevant charity in his name.

The match is on the Sunday, so maybe we could try to find a pub that would let us do something like this on the Saturday evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

If a lot of Vs are travelling to Vancouver for the game in March, perhaps we could do a pub night, along the lines that a lot of kids' hockey and soccer teams do as fundraisers. They're usually along the lines of the pub letting the host group sell tickets for ten bucks, which include a burger and/or a beer. The group keeps the ticket revenue and the pub gets a packed room of drinkers for the night. The proceeds from tickets, plus a 50/50 and/or prize raffle, could either be given to Jarrek's family, or to a relevant charity in his name.

The match is on the Sunday, so maybe we could try to find a pub that would let us do something like this on the Saturday evening.

Maybe a banner at the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Maybe a banner at the match.

That would be fitting especially if we could somehow have the team pose for a group photo with the banner and the supporters. Lots of scarves and caps etc etc etc. 

If we can make this happen, I'd make the trip out there!

It would be awesome recognition and it would mean so much to the family who expressed their thanks last night at the visitation to those of us who wore his Voyageurs and U-Sector scarves to the funeral home.

Edited by dbailey62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×