Jump to content
Big_M

Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This article gives the Sigthorsson story, and links if you scroll down to the Venuto signing, and the rumour of a young Tunisian centre back, Benzaza.

Nothing to get really wild about, and certainly, until now, not a single real draw for fans. 

This...when fans of the world game like us are scratching our heads and asking, "who?" I wonder what the casual supporter makes of all this B-Grade  bargain-hunting in a market that was expecting some return entertainment-wise after losing some pretty exciting and valuable puzzle pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Most teams in MLS play on grass. Still, home games are pretty darn important.

Whitecaps practice on grass so basically 90% of soccer played on grass.. probably more. MDS during media day said mark the day down and then completely de bunked the turf myth, called out Canada hockey culture obsessed with goaltending, compared fans transfer expectations to buuing jeans at Zara, said Anthony Blondell will absolutely hate hkm because ge doesnt except laziness etc etc. He's a complete quote machine and is really endearing himself to the media and fans in a short period of time. The guy is so honest, maybe to a fault but its sure entertaining 

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clips i see looks like a Korean Eden Hazard.. kid looks like a possession machine.

Not sure its been mentioned but the main concern about him playing Div 2 is misleading. He was serving his mandatory military service and the military has a team in div2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't care if he's a quote machine or as boring as Bill Belichick.  The only thing that should matter are the results and the on field product.

Brave comment. Yah of course

 

The important part that has people impressed are these signings seem to have real purpose with lots of upside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Brave comment. Yah of course

 

The important part that has people impressed are these signings seem to have real purpose with lots of upside. 

Yes, mine is a Captain Obvious statement but I can look back through the archives and find glowing statements about Robbo's and Rennie's signings in the very early days of their tenures.  What I like most about this guy is his c.v. and the situations in which he has plied his trade and honed his craft.  He might be the perfect fit and I hope he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Yes, mine is a Captain Obvious statement but I can look back through the archives and find glowing statements about Robbo's and Rennie's signings in the very early days of their tenures.  What I like most about this guy is his c.v. and the situations in which he has plied his trade and honed his craft.  He might be the perfect fit and I hope he is.

If i look at 5 years of Robbo in totality i give it a passing grade. Rennie wouldn't know a decent footballer if they walked up and shook his hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Clips i see looks like a Korean Eden Hazard.. kid looks like a possession machine.

Not sure its been mentioned but the main concern about him playing Div 2 is misleading. He was serving his mandatory military service and the military has a team in div2

I read that he was released from military service early due to some good performances for the youth national teams. His home club is definitely D2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If i look at 5 years of Robbo in totality i give it a passing grade. Rennie wouldn't know a decent footballer if they walked up and shook his hand

Looking at it in retrospection, I don't disagree with this but I think posters at the time were generally optimistic about their early tenure signings, as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 1:54 AM, BearcatSA said:

Looking at it in retrospection, I don't disagree with this but I think posters at the time were generally optimistic about their early tenure signings, as well.  

Aren't they always?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing for certain: This team is shaping up to be one of the shortest in all of MLS. Henry and Corenelius and Rose are tall, but many of the new guys, not to mention Tiebert, Felipe, Reyna et al., are on the shorter side.  Most of these guys seem to have incredible engines, much like Tiebert. It is going to take a while for this team to gel under MDS, what with so many new faces and a new system, but there is no doubt this team will not look--in any way--like the team we've watched under Robbo for 5 years. They might be more akin to how Dallas has played for the last 5 or 6 years. Cannot wait to witness the evolution. Only a month before the hope opener!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports out of Argentina Caps got on loan 25 yr old cb Erick Godoy from Colon. From his clips seems mds keeping his word about mobile nimble players. All 4 of our cbs not your big bruising cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Sutter signed..still a solid player

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/30/vancouver-whitecaps-sign-former-orlando-city-right-back-scott-sutter

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of January 30, 2019:

FORWARDS:

  • Bair, Theo

 

MIDFIELDERS:

  • Baldisimo, Michael
  • Bangoura, Lass
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Erice, Jon
  • Felipe
  • Juarez, Efrain
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell
  • Venuto, Lucas

 

DEFENDERS:

  • Cornelius, Derek
  • de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Sutter, Scott

 

GOALKEEPERS:

  • Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MDS says they will sign two forwards. I presume the Sutter signing means the Cordova deal is fully dead.

Once they sign the two forwards and Hwang, the roster must be pretty close to done, no? What else are we missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

MDS says they will sign two forwards. I presume the Sutter signing means the Cordova deal is fully dead.

Once they sign the two forwards and Hwang, the roster must be pretty close to done, no? What else are we missing?

They must rate Theo Bair pretty highly if they are only going to sign two forwards in addition to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

They must rate Theo Bair pretty highly if they are only going to sign two forwards in addition to him.

I think they do rate him highly, but I wonder if they might also play someone like Reyna up top, in a pinch. I want to see Bair play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caps Twitter account is suggesting they will announce a "big" signing by 4pm PT today.  I am guessing it will be Hwang, but let's see. 

From the various player interviews on the Caps site it sounds like MDS is wasting no time in establishing a very clear and strong culture. Sounds, too, like the intensity level at training is higher than it was under Robbo. This is deliberate, of course. MDS wants his players to train with the same intensity as he expects to see on game day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Caps Twitter account is suggesting they will announce a "big" signing by 4pm PT today.  I am guessing it will be Hwang, but let's see. 

From the various player interviews on the Caps site it sounds like MDS is wasting no time in establishing a very clear and strong culture. Sounds, too, like the intensity level at training is higher than it was under Robbo. This is deliberate, of course. MDS wants his players to train with the same intensity as he expects to see on game day. 

Confirmed.  That looks like a smart signing:  a young guy on the rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we add the CB from Argentina and a couple of bona fide goal scorers, then MDS has pretty much filled out the roster, no?

So, GlassCity, is MDS still pursuing the Icelandic fellow? Who else up front? Camillo? Cavallini? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hwang In-beom signed as a Young Designated Player

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/30/vancouver-whitecaps-ink-south-korean-international-midfielder-hwang-beom

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of January 30, 2019:

FORWARDS:

  • Bair, Theo

 

MIDFIELDERS:

  • Baldisimo, Michael
  • Bangoura, Lass
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Erice, Jon
  • Felipe
  • Hwang In-beom
  • Juarez, Efrain
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell
  • Venuto, Lucas

 

DEFENDERS:

  • Cornelius, Derek
  • de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Sutter, Scott

 

GOALKEEPERS:

  • Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Beaver said:

MDS says they will sign two forwards. I presume the Sutter signing means the Cordova deal is fully dead.

Once they sign the two forwards and Hwang, the roster must be pretty close to done, no? What else are we missing?

CBs?  There are two rumours out there but no confirmations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Image may contain: 2 people, text

     

    Pre Game Events

    Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

    You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

    Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

    Pre Game Party & March to Stadium
    Voyageurs will be there from 11am
     

     

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...