Gian-Luca

TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

10 hours ago, Free kick said:

Good to see that TFC seems to have finally a decent draw in CCL.  Openning against CAI of Panama is surely an improvement from last year. Last year they got the toughest possible opponent in every round.

For sure. At the very least it will be nicer in terms of weather and probably surface as well. It mustn't have been very nice playing on that frozen pitch in Colorado.

Don't know much about the opponent, but we shouldn't underestimate them. I think FCD fell at the round of 16 to a team from Panama last season, didn't they?

The Panamanian teams can certainly surprise.

How can they not add a CB?? Last year when Moor, Mavinga etc were all injured at the same time the hind site guys were whining that they should have seen it coming, should have had another starting CB etc.  How can they not beef up the CB spot again this year?? Mavinga doesnt seem to be very durable, Moor is just another year older (i thought he might retire).  I dont think you can bet on those 2 being much more healthier this year.  Zav and Hagglund are decent salary cap league squad fillers but not starters.  They need to do something to strengthen the back line as it was the big problem last year.  

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

We can end the speculation about Waston coming to Toronto - he got traded to WKRP in Cincinnati

And it looks like Fabian Johnson, who they annoyingly give the nickname "FabJo", may be following him there.

FCC (even more stupid) owners have not give up on him, and they hold the top spot in the allocation order.

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

How can they not add a CB?? Last year when Moor, Mavinga etc were all injured at the same time the hind site guys were whining that they should have seen it coming, should have had another starting CB etc.  How can they not beef up the CB spot again this year?? Mavinga doesnt seem to be very durable, Moor is just another year older (i thought he might retire).  I dont think you can bet on those 2 being much more healthier this year.  Zav and Hagglund are decent salary cap league squad fillers but not starters.  They need to do something to strengthen the back line as it was the big problem last year.  

I would really like to see the club bring in a good communicator to fill Moor's spot.

Let Drew play the Jason Hernandez role.

At 350k he's a little expensive to be used sparingly, but his contract is what it is.

Drastically cutting back his minutes will not only prolong his career, but will also make room for the transition to begin in ernest.

And if Drew wins the minutes on merit, so be it, but please bring in a big piece who'll be expected to lead the defence.

Edited by Obinna

They were playing VDW at CB and he looked pretty good there.

VDW and Mavinga start

Moor fills in for either of them when they need a day off. Then we have Hagglund, Zavaleta and Dunn. 

Five CB’s on the roster seems like enough. Meanwhile we dont have a RB on the roster that I can think of? We also need another striker/winger. 

Auro and VDW both played RB last season (is it final that Auro wont be back?).  If you move VDW to CB, then you need someone to fill in at RB.  Stealing peter to pay paul.  If they are going to  use VDW at CB, then you need another fullback. They need to bring in someone, defense was the biggest problem.  

5 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

They were playing VDW at CB and he looked pretty good there.

VDW and Mavinga start

Moor fills in for either of them when they need a day off. Then we have Hagglund, Zavaleta and Dunn. 

Five CB’s on the roster seems like enough. Meanwhile we dont have a RB on the roster that I can think of? We also need another striker/winger. 

What about 3 at the back? 

Sure, Mavinga-Moor-VDW make for a good combination. A great combination in fact.

But losing Moor again means:

- Bradley (not a CB/too valuable in MF)

- Zavaletta (not good enough)

- Hagglund/Dunn (not that type of player)

Or, Vanney is forced to revert to a back 4.

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

3 at the back has been our most effective formation. And if Vanney wants his nephew on the field he better stick to it.

There's no evidence that he "wants" his nephew in the field. When everyone was healthy Zavaleta wasn't a guaranteed starter.

3 hours ago, RS said:

There's no evidence that he "wants" his nephew in the field. When everyone was healthy Zavaleta wasn't a guaranteed starter.

Zavs was awful last year but so was HAgglund outside of his headers. We had no other options either. He’s just overpaid to be a 4th CB. 

So we claimed Nick Deleon in the re-entry draft a midfielder/RB from DC. Apparently he makes 275K so I out Auro is back and VDW will be playing CB most likely. 

I agree that De Leon is a good player - hopefully he can stay healthy as that's been the big issue for him. I agree though that with that salary pick up it seems that Auro isn't coming back after all, which is a shame.