Gian-Luca

TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Looks like here in Toronto with no TFC in the playoffs or of course MLS Cup final this year there has been next to nothing in all Toronto daily papers about the MLS Cup playoffs or tonight’s MLS Cup final in Atlanta. Nothing in the Toronto Sun and the Toronto Star Toronto’s two leading papers in their Saturday editions . While I didn’t expect  any of the daily papers to cover any of the rounds leading up to the MLS Cup final without TFC you would think some coverage of tonight’s final in the two Toronto papers for tonight’s final but nothing. TFC hosting the past two MLS Cup finals and winning last year has done nothing in terms of improved coverage of the MLS in the mainstream media when it comes to Toronto’s newspapers. However, plenty of coverage of US college football expecially in the Toronto Sun today lol!

Media coverage is a reflection of the no interest in MLS when no Canadian team involved. It isn't a good enough league to warrant casual interest when there is no rooting interest.

Confused at the US college football coverage today int the Sun as the big weekend was last week. Nothing going today other than Army/Navy which is more of a symbolic interest than football interest. 

I understand no coverage when no Canadian team is involved and the MLS not being a good enough league and all that I’m not disagreeing, however not have any coverage at all nothing in the Sun and the Star about tonight’s MLS Cup final in a sold out 70000 stadium in the US is strange expecially after Toronto hosted the past two finals and won last years MLS Cup final. I think it’s still a bit indicative of the mainstreams media’s bias towards soccer after all these years here in Canada. Once again I don’t expect coverage of non Toronto MLS games in the regular season or even any rounds of the MLS playoffs that don’t include TFC but the actual final of a league TFC plays in and has hosted the past two years and won last year you would think would at least get a mention with a few lines in both major Toronto newspapers but nothing not a word I find a bit troubling as a general soccer fan never mind as a TFC fan.

As much as I disagreed and debated with Kurt Larson I must say that if he was still with the Sun I'm sure there would have been more than a little coverage of the play offs and final! I think it is a combination of part time soccer writers and part time soccer fans as well as lack of interest in MLS!

It is well into December and Toronto have still done nothing to upgrade the squad.

Meanwhile, Vancouver has acquired Crepeau, PC and a keeper from Colorado. Juninho is now rumored now to be joining also.

Montreal just acquired Urutti from FCD and last week a Martinique international who previously was in the Lyon system iirc.

I am growing more and more concerned we haven't seen Toronto strengthen, aside from the young Sao Paulo keeper...

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It is well into December and Toronto have still done nothing to upgrade the squad.

Meanwhile, Vancouver has acquired Crepeau, PC and a keeper from Colorado. Juninho is now rumored now to be joining also.

Montreal just acquired Urutti from FCD and last week a Martinique international who previously was in the Lyon system iirc.

I am growing more and more concerned we haven't seen Toronto strengthen, aside from the young Sao Paulo keeper...

Vancouver lost Alphonso Davies so even though they added those guys they are probably still worse off. 

Urutti isn’t worth 750 k a year.I would rather bring back Jansen. Juninho was in town and we passed on him.

Be patient I doubt TFC will make many moves until the Jan window. 

24 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Vancouver lost Alphonso Davies so even though they added those guys they are probably still worse off. 

Urutti isn’t worth 750 k a year.I would rather bring back Jansen. Juninho was in town and we passed on him.

Be patient I doubt TFC will make many moves until the Jan window. 

With CCL starting on February 19th, there's not much time to integrate any new signings. The squad is still strong and I'm sure the rest will help Toronto to a bright start in both champions league and MLS, but I am still nervous when Atlanta just won MLS cup and Pity Martinez, who scored the winning Copa Libertadores goal, is imminent. 

I just get the feeling Toronto is going to have to invest wisely if they want to reclaim the title of best MLS team - and I think it would be wise to bring players in sooner than January.

Edited by Obinna

These signings of Montreal and Vancouver are not necessarily sure starter or sure upgrade signings..time will tell..there should be some moves soon as there are a few drafts this week and free agency begins tomorrow

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

These signings of Montreal and Vancouver are not necessarily sure starter or sure upgrade signings..time will tell..there should be some moves soon as there are a few drafts this week and free agency begins tomorrow

True, but you need depth guys and at least both clubs are active in improving their team. By contrast, Toronto has been inactive (for now). That makes me feel a little uneasy, considering it is already December and other clubs are already getting busy.

Edited by Obinna

There was only a 4 hour trade window and free agency hasnt started so doesnt mean they havent been active..they could be close to finalizing signings without being able to announce them

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I mean, there was a single half-day trade window and the transfer window doesn't even open until Feb. 7 so maybe "well into December" isn't exactly the best way to describe the situation.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, red card said:

Media coverage is a reflection of the no interest in MLS when no Canadian team involved. It isn't a good enough league to warrant casual interest when there is no rooting interest.

Confused at the US college football coverage today int the Sun as the big weekend was last week. Nothing going today other than Army/Navy which is more of a symbolic interest than football interest. 

The reason the MLS gets no coverage is because the people who make those decisions dont want to give MLS any coverage. Simple as that IMHO.  And this problem is isolated to Toronto, it not a problem in other canadian cities.  There are ample storys and topic that never get discussed around the water cooler and at the coffee shop but they still get coverage and mention.  And to the point that a certain writer who coverred soccer departed, i would say:  well what about the other writers who still work there?

Sports media is unique because,  unlike the regular news,  when you cover a certain team, event or sport, it means your promoting that team, event or sport.  You are helping make that sport topical and it raises awareness for that event, sport and team.  That makes icket selling easier.  Even negative coverage is good;  the worst is no coverage.    Thats because to the majority of individuals who are casually involved or casually engaged, coverge of one team or one sport vesus another helps them decern what is more important or pretigious,  thats what branding is.  So, the mainstream generalist media is your best marketing tool.  And the people in that business know this just as they know that awareness translates into revenues for those local clubs which yield more $$$ for talent and ultimately better results. 

Getting back to why the MLS final is ignored.  I have my theory.  I believe that the people in editorial positions are mostly baby boomer who became aware as kids at the time the cable television arrived in Canada.   There tastes and preferrances were defined by american culture which for sports means baseball and football.  These are the same two sports whose season run concurrently with MLS.  Given that a market is pie that can only be sliced differently,  I’ll bet that the numbers at MLS games in TO must bother some people.  By the way,  if you look at whats happening in Other canadian cities,  you are more likely to to come accross coverage that spans the full spectrum of basic news, tactical  discussions and editorial content.  Whereas in Toronto,  unless you go to soccer specific media, you really just get the basic news. 

Edited by Free kick

15 hours ago, RS said:

I mean, there was a single half-day trade window and the transfer window doesn't even open until Feb. 7 so maybe "well into December" isn't exactly the best way to describe the situation.

Didn't stop other teams from making moves. There's been a flurry of activity which Toronto has been largely absent from.

At least moving up the allocation order is something, I guess.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Didn't stop other teams from making moves. There's been a flurry of activity which Toronto has been largely absent from.

Just because other teams made moves doesn't mean Toronto should. Every team has their own needs and improvements they want to make, but I'm not convinced any of the moves made by other teams so far (listed here) would have improved Toronto's roster.

We're not talking about earth-shattering transactions here. For example, the Whitecaps acquiring yet another player from Orlando isn't exactly awe-inspiring but it may be necessary for their plan.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A move is coming soon, there’s a reason they traded up in allocation order. I predict they grab a CB off the Allocation List. 

With another defender I think Auro will be let go for cap reasons and Hagglund will be traded to Cincy. 

LEtting Ricketts and Hamilton go must mean Jansen will be back. 

Starting 11

Bono

GVW-CB FA-Mavinga-Morrow

Vasquez-Bradley-Osorio

Gio-Altidore-Jansen

Looks good to me. 

If we go back to the 3-5-2

GVW-FA-Mavinga

Delgado-Vasquez—Bradley-Osorio-Morrow

Gio-Altidore

We need a winger for that formation, I think Telfer could be a good one. I was impressed with his speed an crosses in the limited time he played. 

20 minutes ago, RS said:

Just because other teams made moves doesn't mean Toronto should. Every team has their own needs and improvements they want to make, but I'm not convinced any of the moves made by other teams so far (listed here) would have improved Toronto's roster.

We're not talking about earth-shattering transactions here. For example, the Whitecaps acquiring yet another player from Orlando isn't exactly awe-inspiring but it may be necessary for their plan.

Yeah, of course. Toronto shouldn't make moves because other teams are doing so. Toronto should be making moves because it needs to strengthen.

I don't care that other teams have acquired players that would not help Toronto. That's not the point. The point is that Toronto haven't made the moves (yet) that it needs to help itself.

27 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

A move is coming soon, there’s a reason they traded up in allocation order. I predict they grab a CB off the Allocation List. 

With another defender I think Auro will be let go for cap reasons and Hagglund will be traded to Cincy. 

LEtting Ricketts and Hamilton go must mean Jansen will be back. 

Starting 11

Bono

GVW-CB FA-Mavinga-Morrow

Vasquez-Bradley-Osorio

Gio-Altidore-Jansen

Looks good to me. 

If we go back to the 3-5-2

GVW-FA-Mavinga

Delgado-Vasquez—Bradley-Osorio-Morrow

Gio-Altidore

We need a winger for that formation, I think Telfer could be a good one. I was impressed with his speed an crosses in the limited time he played. 

I think Auro definitely is a must keep and so is Jansen and I expect both will be back. I also suspect that negotiations for both is retarding Toronto's ability to make additional moves.

Hagglund to Cincy would be great for both parties. Hope to see it happen.

Aside from the CB upgrade that is definitely needed, I would like to see one more winger. A quality winger that could be had for TAM, if room is available.

The article mentions Geoff Cameron who is presently on loan at QPR, he hasn't played much CB there because he's been used as a defensive midfielder where he has been very impressive, he was injured last Saturday and if I'm not mistaken he is on a season long loan, he would definitely give TFC more defensive options!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

He might be a better fit than a CB if we move GVW inside and resign Auro. 

20 minutes ago, gator said:

The article mentions Geoff Cameron who is presently on loan at QPR, he hasn't played much CB there because he's been used as a defensive midfielder where he has been very impressive, he was injured last Saturday and if I'm not mistaken he is on a season long loan, he would definitely give TFC more defensive options!

I’ve been pondering a move for Cameron the day the season ended. Would look great in the centre of a back 3 sandwiched between VDW and Mavinga. Moor could also play in that spot and Cameron could take up the RCB spot and VDW could play as a fullback. Or, Cameron could give Bradley a break from time to time at CDM.

Edited by Obinna

Good to see that TFC seems to have finally a decent draw in CCL.  Openning against CAI of Panama is surely an improvement from last year. Last year they got the toughest possible opponent in every round.