Sign in to follow this  
dsqpr

CPL Attendances

May as well get this topic going early with some numbers from England for comparison purposes.

English Non-League (2017-18 Season):

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveengnl.htm

English Football League and Premier League (summaries for many seasons):

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

Edited by dsqpr

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

We're looking at

• League 1 attendances in the short term

• Championship level in the long term.

That is what we are hoping for anyway! Might be a bit optimistic though, for the start at least. Growth is the key.

In Spain terms, we would be ahead of 2B or third tier, in almost its entirety, with few exceptions, but would really struggle to meet the averages of the second tier. 

I know money is important when speaking about attendances, but really for me, it is having great home crowds and good ambiences, across the league what matters the most. That means right pricing, too, since a main stand half empty isn't any goo either, as too many MLS matches prove.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

We're looking at

• League 1 attendances in the short term

• Championship level in the long term.

Some clubs may be closer to League 2, but that's OK.  Agreed, Championship in the long term and that''s the best league in the world.

9 hours ago, Alex D said:

The interesting question is what will be higher, CPL average or Ottawa Fury?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

This could get ugly. But just speaking from experience as a fan of FC Edmonton; don’t be surprised if actual attendance isn’t what you hoped. Even if lots of season tickets are sold, expect an empty stadium every once and a while. Sometimes people can’t come to games, sometimes it is raining, and sometimes it snows... As far as comparing Ottawa and the CPL, some CPL teams will be extremely successful, and others will take time to build a fan base. I think the average CPL and Ottawa attendances will be strikingly close.

Considering the USL only had roughly half its 30+ teams get over 4000 average, I think 4-5000 would be spectacular.  All I am hoping for is a decent product on the field with lots of CDN exposure, and enough attendance that we dont lose any clubs before year 2 starts.  

Article on USL Attendance 2018:

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-usl-attendance/

2018:   USL Avg: 4,916;   USL Median: 3,976.

2017:   USL Avg: 4,301;   

2018 USL Average was of course skewed upwards by Cincinnati, who according to the article are leaving for MLS.

2018 USL Avg without Cincinatti: 4,266

2018 USL Avg without Cincinatti & TFC2: 4,377

Edited by dsqpr

I weeded out any "2" clubs (left in out of town affiliates) and any club dangling the MLS carrot infront of fans and got a league average of 3,800. Las Vegas was the highest at 7,266 and Charlotte the lowest at 1,659. 

4 hours ago, Alex D said:

I weeded out any "2" clubs (left in out of town affiliates) and any club dangling the MLS carrot infront of fans and got a league average of 3,800. Las Vegas was the highest at 7,266 and Charlotte the lowest at 1,659. 

Which is quite close to the 2018 median! This does make sense when considering that you have removed the teams that are most likely to skew the average up or down.

I imagine the league will average about 2,500 - 3,000 in its first season. It's probably a big push to imagine League 1 level attendances. But I would love to be proved wrong come the end of 2019!