BLennard

Axel Desjardins

This is the kid they brought in to train with the u20 squad from Italy last week. A lot of people were wandering why he traveled that far just to train as he is not eligible for the qualifications, and I suggested it was probably because they did not have enough information about him and wanted to test him out. He has made it to the bench for the first team (Serie B) in quite a few games as the second keeper (albeit in an injury plagued team), but usually is considered as the 3rd or 4th goalie. Here is the paste of what I wrote on the other topic: 

"Ive had the chance of seeing him play against my brother when he was younger and still playing in Canada, and this guy, Im telling you, is something else. I started following his stats back then, and he would not let in more than 3-5 goals a season, and then boom, he suddenly disappeared and I forgot about him. It s only a year back somebody on this forum found him again and Ive been following him since. Yeah I know his stats from last season arent the most impressive, but who are we to judge, maybe his team in front of him isnt all that good. 

Im also following the AC Spezia page on Instagram and he seems to be regularly training with the first team. The team and the fans seem to like him a lot too. They even wished him a good training camp in Florida, and the post got relatively a lot of likes compared to their other posts. I wouldnt be surprised if he eventually took over the first spot as GK (u20 team). I think the management forgot about him as did i, and that s why he has only been invited to the camp now. He s also the fifth most valuable Canadian born in 2000 according to transfermarkt. "

Then people started comparing MLS academies with Serie B academies, and who should be on the squad, Hasal or Desjardins. And the main argument was that we did not have enough footage for the latter. So I dedicated this whole day in searching the deepest parts of the internet for some primavera Spezia footage and made a quick compilation. This compilation was made with basically only three games and the rest is filled with what I call potato footage (footage that looks like it's been filmed with a potato).

By the looks of it, he looks like a solid, confident keeper and isn't afraid to jump into the action. He seems pretty good at penalties too, which is always important in Finals. He also has that weird Neuer feel to him. I would love to see more of Axel, and maybe one day he can lead the senior squad. :) (sorry for the 360p)

This is good stuff. Thank you for putting it together. Him being called in for training is a good sign. Flashback to summer 2018...Herdman et al. had heard about this Busti kid playing at Juve...so they called him to Toulon, he impressed and is now capped at senior level in less than 6 months.  

CSA has known about Desjardins. CSA peeps also seem to rate Hasal very highly, so to those that follow youth teams his selection is not a surprise. IIRC he played as underage in last U20 qualifiers  

That  Herdman / Biello / Olivieri have taken the opportunity to bring in another keeper prospect that they rate highly enough to fly across the pond for an in person assessment is great news to me and a very positive move in the scouting department compared to the likes of Zambrano and Floro. With all the usual clamouring about budgets etc, this move shows me the brass are seriously about assessing players in person. IIRC we learned after he fact that Breza was in Toulon for a bit as a training keeper?

I hope Desjardins is impressing this week. If he does, who knows, maybe we’ll see him called in for March Nations League or more likely Toulon if Canada ends up going back next year (assuming he is age eligible as Toulon is U21 I think). 

1 hour ago, soccer.shocker said:

CSA has known about Desjardins. CSA peeps also seem to rate Hasal very highly, so to those that follow youth teams his selection is not a surprise. IIRC he played as underage in last U20 qualifiers   

Yes, Hasal played all 3 games in 2017 CONCACAF U20 Championship.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:42 PM, jpg75 said:

Busti doesn't play for the Primavera team because he would be behind Italian youth keeper Leonardo Loria. He has been moved up to the Reserves to train with older players until likely next season when Loria will be too old for Primavera and Busti will get his chance as #1 with the youth team.

Axel Desjardin played 15 matches for Spezia Primavera last season in the 2A division (2nd tier) and let in 25 goals. He was replaced for the last 3 games of the season which Spezia won all 3 to qualify for the Primavera play-off with Ascoli. Desjardin played the away leg which Spezia lost 2-1 and forced to remain in 2A this season. He has played once this year and let in 2 goals in a loss. His rival, Francesco Mazzini has let in 2 goals in 3 games (2 wins 1 loss).

Posted the above in the Busti thread

Edited by jpg75

I think these stats aren't so reliable. The reason why Axel didn't play in the last the 3 games was because he was called into the first squad. And as you can see, his defence seems to be making somewhat a lot of turnovers. There are actually some highlights from the Ascoli game  in my video.

I personally would prefer him and Hasal as the two main goalies for our u20 squad, because whether or not we like it, Busti spent only 10 months as a child in Canada, and there is a language barrier. Communication is key with the team in front of him, and if there is a lack of it, things can go south really quick. 

And looking at goalie stats isn't all that reflective of who's best. I'll give you a few examples:

Spurs have a better win rate and let in less goals on average when Gazzaniga is in nets, but would you pick him over Lloris?

Jordan Pickford was playing for relegated side Sunderland and beat the transfer record for a keeper the same summer. 

Ederson won the Premier League title with the best defence in the league, yet Alisson was picked in front of him for the WC.

As Canadians we can also see this phenomenon in hockey, where the back up goalie tends to have better stats in the short run. What is important is how consistent and reliable the player is. 

This is my opinion. If you have anything to add, I am open to discuss.

1 hour ago, BLennard said:

I think these stats aren't so reliable. The reason why Axel didn't play in the last the 3 games was because he was called into the first squad. And as you can see, his defence seems to be making somewhat a lot of turnovers. There are actually some highlights from the Ascoli game  in my video.

I personally would prefer him and Hasal as the two main goalies for our u20 squad, because whether or not we like it, Busti spent only 10 months as a child in Canada, and there is a language barrier. Communication is key with the team in front of him, and if there is a lack of it, things can go south really quick. 

And looking at goalie stats isn't all that reflective of who's best. I'll give you a few examples:

Spurs have a better win rate and let in less goals on average when Gazzaniga is in nets, but would you pick him over Lloris?

Jordan Pickford was playing for relegated side Sunderland and beat the transfer record for a keeper the same summer. 

Ederson won the Premier League title with the best defence in the league, yet Alisson was picked in front of him for the WC.

As Canadians we can also see this phenomenon in hockey, where the back up goalie tends to have better stats in the short run. What is important is how consistent and reliable the player is. 

This is my opinion. If you have anything to add, I am open to discuss.

I don't know who I prefer as our u20 keepers as I have never seen any of them play, other than Busti vs Dominica and Hasal for parts of the last u20, neither of which viewing showed me anything to go by. I would guess that there isn't a single person on here that has seen any of the three keepers (Busti, Hasal, and Desjardins) enough to make any sort of reasonable conclusion, let alone all three of them. I don't think an issue like communication is a valid concern.

I do agree those statistics are meaningless.

November 10 - Italian Primavera 2a

Axel Desjardins started and played 90 minutes in goal for Spezia U19 in a 3-2 loss vs Spal U19.

He has played in three matches so far this season for Spezia U19 on October 6, October 20th and this past weekend.

He played for Spezia U19 on Nov 24 in a 1-1 draw with Parma U19.  He also played on Dec 1 in a 3-0 loss vs Bologna U19.

Just found this picture while browsing Instagram. Been a month or so since I last saw or heard anything about him. Nice to see Axel still training with the first team, all smiles most importantly! (3rd from the left)

Edit: It'll also be interesting to see if he'll be invited straight up at the beginning, this time for the Olympic squad.

Edited by BLennard

Missed this yesterday. The club wished him happy birthday on their Instagram and Facebook page. Shows the club and the fans rate him. I'd really wish Primavera games were more accessible, so we'd be able to see what he truly is all about. 

-If I'm right with the little Italian I know, the post says happy birthday to him, celebrating his 19th birthday. They call him the pillar of their primavera squad and mention his U20 tryouts with Canada. And they also mention how he has made his way to the first squad since the summer. 

He has yet to feature in the starting 11.

He has played in 6 matches for Spezia U19 so far this season and has given up 12 goals.

His last match was on December 8 (last match before the winter break) in a 4-1 win over Cremonese.  The next Spezia match is on Jan 19th.