socceronly

The Voyageurs are now officially a federally incorporated non profit

5 hours ago, socceronly said:

Was on board for doing that with the 20th, but I just couldn't put down the amount of money required at the time.

How do you get 30th?  25th I think would be 2021. 

You are right. 25th.   Was not sure exactly when Network54 first started.

7 hours ago, The Beaver said:

not to mention whenever Radzinski would actually say YES to a call-up.

I've posted this in the past so as to curtail any revisionism but in the unlikeliest of scenarios Rad accepted more callups and showed more loyalty when he had the most to lose (when he was in the EPL) with Everton and Fulham.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I've posted this in the past so as to curtail any revisionism but in the unlikeliest of scenarios Rad accepted more callups and showed more loyalty when he had the most to lose (when he was in the EPL) with Everton and Fulham.

Totally agree. It was when he was scoring for Anderlecht in Champion’s League against EPL sides that we were pleading for him to answer the call. He eventually did! One of our best, ever.

6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I remember seeing the UofA site but does anybody remember the site at Canoe.ca SlamSports.  |If I recall correctly and there a good chance I'm wrong both this site and the CSA message board were both killed by trolls. Please correct me if I`m wrong.

I used to get all my Canadian Soccer news from Canoe in the late 90's. Then i started lurking this board in '99.

10 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I used to get all my Canadian Soccer news from Canoe in the late 90's. Then i started lurking this board in '99.

I forgot about Canoe! That was the online source for news and Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggat was my go to TV.

12 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Holy crap. Yup, we are the oldie oldertons!  Still going strong, despite all the scars.

Here's my oldie Vs story, I've almost never had cable TV, by choice, or extreme frugality :)

I would pay for Internet, as to me, it is a multipurpose tool (Kodi anyone?).  Anyway I listened (and nearly had cardiac arrest) to the 2000 Gold Cup tournament and win over Internet radio.  Heady days!

10 hours ago, ted said:

I forgot about Canoe! That was the online source for news and Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggat was my go to TV.

We're going down the same memory lane here.

My first ever internet experience was the Canoe site in 1996 as I was living in Guatemala and wanted to know the score of our WCQ game against Panama as well as our medal total at Atlanta Olympics. My memory says there was a Voyageurs page then, but I could be wrong. 

My first V's  memory is 1997-ish and the Network 54 board. I remember going to check news some months after the Pesch- red card El Salvador WCQ in Swangard. I think the oldtimers were discussing the supporter name still at that point. I think the first post that stands out for me (a little later) is Marc Bircham commiting to Canada, although I might be blending memories together a bit

I remember being around for the discussion on what to name the Canadian supporters group and I think it was 1996..  Unfortuntely, I do not remember the proposed names.  I was also quite active on the North American Soccer Newsgroup.

The first (I think) website dedicated to the Canadian men's national team was made by someone who was from the Channel Islands.  

Edited by Toje

My memory, like Nolando's could be mixing realities.

I think I started to connect to the old Network 54 towards the end of 2000, after we drew Mexico scoreless in Toronto, at the end of the failed WC qualfying campaign. I also remember I had a new studio space and a new desk, computer set up, so I recall where I was when I spent time looking at the board. But I am not sure when I might have started posting. I do know I was hard on the CSA from the start, and critical of the existing set-up, so that suggests I have been consistent in that regard for almost 18 years on this board. 

On 11/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think it was in the 1990s and an Iranian guy in Edmonton called Reza started the forum.

And prior to this, Mehrdad Mousadi (spelling) created Stadium North, on the CSA site.  Mehrdad was a great guy.  He too was from Iran.  Used to make (on his own) CSL newspapers and sell them at the CSL games in Ottawa.  The CSA saw him at an Intrepid match and hired him for CSA Communications.  

He eventually created Stadium North, which had a forum.  This would be around 95.  The Stadium North forum is where the V's seed was planted.  I think that is where we voted on the name, Voyageurs.  Stadium North was a great idea, very well intentioned and way ahead of it's time, but the CSA didn't like the criticism they were taking on their site, so the plug was pulled. From there, we quickly created our own site and the V's were born.

He left the CSA for World Soccer (?), in London in mid to late 90's.

Mehrdad was a great guy.  Very passionate about Canadian soccer and way ahead of his time.  He should be in the soccer Hall of Fame.  His work left a real imprint on Canadian soccer.

I remember us having lunch one time after a Canada match in Edmonton (early/mid 90's) and Mehrdad telling me why soccer had such an impact in his life.  He was a prison guard during the Iran/Iraq war.  He used to assist in organizing soccer games with the prisoners.  He had some very colourful stories around this.  Some not so pleasant.  That was the last time I saw him.

And yes, it was Reza K, in Edmonton that initially was running the show for the V's.  Reza was Iranian and lived in Edmonton.  He got married and suddenly had greater priorities.  Another great guy who I haven't seen or heard from in many years.  

A couple of great individuals who really contributed to the growth of this game in Canada.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

And prior to this, Mehrdad Mousadi (spelling) created Stadium North, on the CSA site.  Mehrdad was a great guy.  He too was from Iran.  Used to make (on his own) CSL newspapers and sell them at the CSL games in Ottawa.  The CSA saw him at an Intrepid match and hired him for CSA Communications.  

He eventually created Stadium North, which had a forum.  This would be around 95.  The Stadium North forum is where the V's seed was planted.  I think that is where we voted on the name, Voyageurs.  Stadium North was a great idea, very well intentioned and way ahead of it's time, but the CSA didn't like the criticism they were taking on their site, so the plug was pulled. From there, we quickly created our own site and the V's were born.

He left the CSA for World Soccer (?), in London in mid to late 90's.

Mehrdad was a great guy.  Very passionate about Canadian soccer and way ahead of his time.  He should be in the soccer Hall of Fame.  His work left a real imprint on Canadian soccer.

I remember us having lunch one time after a Canada match in Edmonton (early/mid 90's) and Mehrdad telling me why soccer had such an impact in his life.  He was a prison guard during the Iran/Iraq war.  He used to assist in organizing soccer games with the prisoners.  He had some very colourful stories around this.  Some not so pleasant.  That was the last time I saw him.

And yes, it was Reza K, in Edmonton that initially was running the show for the V's.  Reza was Iranian and lived in Edmonton.  He got married and suddenly had greater priorities.  Another great guy who I haven't seen or heard from in many years.  

A couple of great individuals who really contributed to the growth of this game in Canada.

I believe Reza was in attendance at the Canada vs China game at the WWC in Edmonton in 2015. He was pointed out to me. I’d intended to go say hi and thank him but never got the chance. 

It must have been pretty cool at least to be able to stand back and watch something still going that he was so instrumental in creating almost 20 years before. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:57 AM, Winnipeg Fury said:

Yeah you almost had it, it was Masoudi, and I can still hear him hawking his rag... "Soccer Canada!  Soccer Canada!  Soccer Canada!"

Can vividly remember watching Mehrdad Masoudi being interviewed at length about his fanzine in Ottawa that drew the attention of the CSA. I doubt that interview  would still be accessible anywhere as I think it was probably during a Rogers Cable broadcast of a Toronto Italia game. Judging by what shows up on google he later got involved with FIFA's Futbal Mundial program:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-iranians-face-their-moment-of-history-1166266.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/insidestory/2011/06/20116281328745454.html

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Can vividly remember watching Mehrdad Masoudi being interviewed at length about his fanzine in Ottawa that drew the attention of the CSA.

Check out this gem from:

The Charlatan • May 25. 1989 

:

Ottawa's soccer nut 

by Joey Purpura 

Charlatan Staff 

For the average Carleton University 
student, juggling a five-course load and 
a part-time job demands a lot of time 
and energy, not to mention aless than 
stellar social life. 

But just ask Carleton student Mehrdad 
Masoudi when his last night out was 
and he cringes to remember. 

Besides being a computer science major 
and holding down two jobs, Masoudi is a 
full-time magazine publisher. No small 
wonder he has no free time. 

The 25-year-old native of Iran, disen- 
chanted with media coverage of his 
impassioned Ottawa Intrepid - or lack 
thereof - lobbied both Ottawa dailies for 
more soccer exposure. 

When he was turned down, he worked 
like a maniac, dug deep into his pockets 
to invest $800, and launched his own 
monthly chronicle, the International 
Soccer News. 

The Soccer News is a 24-page newslet- 
ter which Masoudi writes, sells, produces, 
markets, and advertises for, virtually all 
by himself. 

Baptized as the Ottawa Soccer News 
in its first issue in June, the viability of 
his monthly magazine was uncertain as 
Masoudi learned of the precarious na- 
ture of the publishing business. 

"It was difficult to get advertising be- 
cause I had nothing to show the compa- 
nies," said Masoudi. "I had to fund the 
entire operation out of my own pocket, 
costing me $800." I was going to give it 
up until I learned that Canada and 
Belgium were playing in Ottawa. I went 

ahead with it even though I had only ten 
days to put it together." 

Masoudi planned to sell the publica- 
tion at a dollar per copy on the night of 
the game. Unfortunately, it poured rain 
that night, damaged some of his copies, 
and had fans scampering for shelter 
past his vending stand. 

"I did not sell many copies of the first 
issue and lost $500. I lost $50 on the 
second issue and made $450 on the 
third, which allowed me to break even," 
he said grimly. 

Though financially strapped, Ma- 
soudi's resiliance proved to be as irre- 
pressible as his exuberance for a game 
he grew up playing in his native, soccer- 
crazy, Iran. 

With an aggressive marketing scheme, 
and plans of expanding his market to 
Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, and 
New York, Masoudi hopes to attract a 
loyal following. He has even added a 
subscription form to his monthly publi- 
cation and has solicited Middle East 

j businessmen as sponsors. 

I The October issue hits the racks the 

I first of the month at all Maison de la 

I Presse outlets. 

I But Masoudi who was been working 
i around the clock for months is growing 
i. tired. "I can't remember what a good 
night's sleep is," he said. 

He remains spurred by a love for soc- 
cer and a burning desire to promote the 
game. 

"Now that school has started, it will 
be difficult. I am hoping a company 
sponsors the magazine, then I can even 
circulate for free," Masoudi says. 

His aspirations are big. He claims 
International Soccer News has been fa- 
vourably received by Canada's largest 
market cities. And with the World Cup 
Soccer Championships in Italy next 
summer, he hopes that heightening soccer 
interest and an association with a major 
sponsor will establish his publication as 
Canada's premier soccer magazine. 

When that has been accomplished, 
in two or three years he predicts, then he 
will kick back his feet and, just possibly, 
step out for the evening. □ 

We need to find him and thank him.

Memories. I didn't stumble on the V's Board until 2005, but Canoe Soccer and Graham Leggat..wow the memories. We are so lucky now with the kind of access we have to the game now.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:26 AM, The Beaver said:

In honour of our history, we should name something Net 54. I honestly do not know what, but I just want to plant that seed.  If we had a blog, maybe it would be called "Net 54".  Or something like that.  It is important to maintain links to our history, which is something all good organizations/cultures do. And it is kind of fun. "The Net 54: This Day in Canadian Soccer History." Just spit-balling here.

Aren't we buying a football club or something? 

Network54 FC! :lol:
(eat your heart out TNS!)

I do remember Mehrdad Masoudi from the CSL league and used to buy the newspaper/programs he sold when I was at North York Rockets games.  But that league ended and I saw him again at this Toronto Lynx vs Persopolis (Iran) in 1998.  Dwayne DeRosario had come back to the city and played this one game (he was on the Lynx in 1997).  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/lynx9836.htm   I was tired of Toronto or Canada always being the 'visiting' team in friendlies and internationals held in Toronto.  

I remember getting into the game with my press pass for free and beating the $30 cover after being rejected at one gate then moving downfield and trying another gate and getting through.  That price was almost 4X what a regular Lynx game cost.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/lynx9837.htm   here's a professional writeup about that game from Paul Hendron.  He also mentions the Canada as visitors problem.  

In 1998, BOTH the A-League and the MLS had just got off the ground.     

Mehrdad was a terrific fellow. Sadly I've not seen him since an early TFC home game when he came over from England with a videographer to produce a segment for a tv show.

I believe he is now based in Dubai. Back in 2013, he guested on this Al Jazeera sports chat show discussing goal line technology! He appears at 6:45 and obviously he is a bit of a traditionalist.

Congratulations to him though. He's come a long way from his $1 photocopied magazines!