Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

CPL OPENING DAY SUPPORT

Recommended Posts

On 10/22/2018 at 4:39 AM, Robert said:

While we're on the topic of attendance, like what part of marketing one's product doesn't the CSA get? We just had a televised "B" international against a nothing country like Dominica. The crowd of 10,253 Torontonians that showed up to watch this little more than an exhibition match looked pretty sparsely distributed in the 30,000 seats at BMO Field. That's two out of three seats that are empty! Like for a meaningless "B" international, why doesn't the CSA express its gratitude to the Voyageurs by having them sit right in the middle section facing the TV cameras for $10 a seat? Their gonna make the same gate revenues anyway, and at least the place would look like its rocking, as the CSA always tries so desperately to make these matches appear in their doctored-up promotional pictures.

Or play the games in a place where they will sell out aka not Toronto or Montreal. Or maybe they just really don't care about the optics of the matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Or play the games in a place where they will sell out aka not Toronto or Montreal. Or maybe they just really don't care about the optics of the matches. 

Major cosmopolitan centers, like Toronto and Montreal, are great for international matches when it comes to playing against the "big ticket" opponents like Mexico and the United State. However, due to our international ranking, we're lucky if we get to host one match like that every 4 years. Wouldn't it be great for Canadian soccer if we managed to qualify for the Hex and get at least two of those matches every four years?

Anyhow, while we're still competing in "B" internationals against countries like Dominica and Haiti, it would hurt the CSA financially to have a Voyageurs Appreciation Day and give everyone who buys a ticket on this board a great seat at a reduced price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert said:

Major cosmopolitan centers, like Toronto and Montreal, are great for international matches when it comes to playing against the "big ticket" opponents like Mexico and the United State. However, due to our international ranking, we're lucky if we get to host one match like that every 4 years. Wouldn't it be great for Canadian soccer if we managed to qualify for the Hex and get at least two of those matches every four years?

Anyhow, while we're still competing in "B" internationals against countries like Dominica and Haiti, it would hurt the CSA financially to have a Voyageurs Appreciation Day and give everyone who buys a ticket on this board a great seat at a reduced price.

If the progression of the National team continues, reaching the Hex this cycle I do not believe is out of the question.  Our backline still needs a lot of work but that is for another thread.  I think as the CPL grows and builds on the fan base foundations that the 3 MLS clubs have helped build,  attendance will start to creep up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blindside16 said:

If the progression of the National team continues, reaching the Hex this cycle I do not believe is out of the question.  Our backline still needs a lot of work but that is for another thread.  I think as the CPL grows and builds on the fan base foundations that the 3 MLS clubs have helped build,  attendance will start to creep up.  

Progressing from an all-time low 117th in the FIFA/Coca-Cola world rankings 2 years ago, to moving up to 76th in the latest ranking is one thing. Cracking the top 6 in CONCACAF World Cup HEX qualifying is quite something else. It really doesn't matter how well do against minnows like Haiti, when we can't knock-off countries like Honduras, Jamaica, etc when it really matters. Until the national program improves to the point where Canada becomes one of the three CONCACAF nations below Mexico, the United States and Costa Rica, there will be no real growth in support and interest for soccer in this country. Hopefully, the launch of the CPL will allow more Canadians an opportunity to reach that level. However, with the three major Canadian soccer markets being committed to a league that is independent of the CPL, with the exception of a possible club in the province of Quebec, I see CPL growth as something that will be very difficult to achieve in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To date I have not seen any visible evidence of Pacific FC anywhere in Victoria. No banners, no posters, no shirts, no caps, no nothing. What's it like in the other CPL cities? How about some pictures? (No selfies, Ted)!😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Robert said:

Major cosmopolitan centers, like Toronto and Montreal, are great for international matches when it comes to playing against the "big ticket" opponents like Mexico and the United State. However, due to our international ranking, we're lucky if we get to host one match like that every 4 years. Wouldn't it be great for Canadian soccer if we managed to qualify for the Hex and get at least two of those matches every four years?

Anyhow, while we're still competing in "B" internationals against countries like Dominica and Haiti, it would hurt the CSA financially to have a Voyageurs Appreciation Day and give everyone who buys a ticket on this board a great seat at a reduced price.

You really have no concept of how the Nations League works, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RS said:

You really have no concept of how the Nations League works, do you?

YOU'RE RIGHT!

GOTTA STAY FOCUSED!

GOTTA STAY ON TOPIC!

CPL ATTENDANCE!

GOTTA BE NICE TO THE CSA!

YEA! I THINK I GOT IT!!!

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit, the president of CONCACAF met with officials from one of the member associations! Stop the presses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Robert  you were so close.

over a page of somewhat relevant coherent discussion on a topic that made sense . 

now it’s looking like you are trying to change the topic from canpl attendance to just another anti csa conspiracy .

Although it’s always fun to see a ROBERT post (especially one that is almost coherent and logical) I think you would get more interaction if you stayed on topic  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 8:48 AM, ted said:

I am expecting a sellout on opening day for PFC.

Is that a sellout for the 1,718 existing seats?

As of yesterday, with exactly 6 months to go until the last weekend of April 2019 (the last Saturday and Sunday are the 27th & 28th), there is no sign that a 7,500 seat Westhills Stadium will exist for the Pacific FC home-opener.

Don't you think that until the additional 5,782 seats are actually realized, the official capacity for Westhills Stadium, in Langford, BC should continue to be reported as 1,718 seats?

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/stadium-profile

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Robert said:

As of yesterday, with exactly 6 months to go until the last weekend of April 2019 (the last Saturday and Sunday are the 27th & 28th), there is no sign that a 7,500 seat Westhills Stadium will exist for the Pacific FC home-opener.

You may have missed my report from the pub night. The stadium expansion is modular and is being built in Italy. Once finished it will be disassembled and shipped to Victoria where it will take something like six weeks to reassemble on site.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You'll have a clear picture very soon when season ticket sales start.

Good point. If Pacific FC fails to sell 1,718 season tickets there's not much point to expanding the capacity of Westhills Stadium.

This is precisely why I find it so odd that with only 6 months to go before the inaugural CPL season kicks off that I've seen no evidence whatsoever in Victoria of the club's existence. Two or three articles in the Times/Colonist in the year leading up to this momentous event in Canadian soccer history does not draw a lot of public attention. I realize that Pacific FC will be playing in a somewhat remote, industrial part of Langford, and that is why I drove out there this past week, to see how the club is being promoted in the suburb. I was quite surprised that there were no road signs to guide me to the stadium, however, the greatest shock of all was that there wasn't a single banner, flag, poster, sign or sticker with the Pacific FC logo on it, at Westhills Stadium.

Unfortunately/Fortunately my pub nights have long since past, and aside from this forum, how is word of Pacific FC getting out into the soccer local community? Personally, I think that I will wait another four months or so until this modular stadium gets put together before I consider buying season tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 4:23 PM, Robert said:

To date I have not seen any visible evidence of Pacific FC anywhere in Victoria. No banners, no posters, no shirts, no caps, no nothing. What's it like in the other CPL cities? How about some pictures? (No selfies, Ted)!😜

My wife and I wear York 9 FC gear pretty often, but outside of the York 9 mobile (which I’ve seen three times), I haven’t seen much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wore my York 9 t-shirt this summer walking along St. Clair West in Toronto. A guy standing outside a bar having a cigarette looked up at me and said, "Nice shirt", nodding his head !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the Voyageurs could agree on a symbolic time, like "420," "Remembrance Day Poppy," or "Pink Shirt Day," to wear a baseball cap, t-shirt or jacket with the colours and logos of the CPL team they support to generate greater attention and awareness.

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hamilton is capped at 10k, Winnipeg only has one side of IGF available for seating/standing. York 9 has 8 supporters...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 12:13 PM, Robert said:

Progressing from an all-time low 117th in the FIFA/Coca-Cola world rankings 2 years ago, to moving up to 76th in the latest ranking is one thing. Cracking the top 6 in CONCACAF World Cup HEX qualifying is quite something else. It really doesn't matter how well do against minnows like Haiti, when we can't knock-off countries like Honduras, Jamaica, etc when it really matters. Until the national program improves to the point where Canada becomes one of the three CONCACAF nations below Mexico, the United States and Costa Rica, there will be no real growth in support and interest for soccer in this country. Hopefully, the launch of the CPL will allow more Canadians an opportunity to reach that level. However, with the three major Canadian soccer markets being committed to a league that is independent of the CPL, with the exception of a possible club in the province of Quebec, I see CPL growth as something that will be very difficult to achieve in the foreseeable future.

Relax, this current team hasn’t even been tested yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Relax, this current team hasn’t even been tested yet.

It's hard to relax when you're as excited as I am about the prospect of being tested beating the current World Champions on November 16th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

 

All right! HALIGONIAN POWER!!!

Now why can't Victorians show that same kinda pride and spirit???

HFX Wanderers FC - 1

Pacific FC - 0

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Actually we are having a very cool event this Friday. All members can drop by and get a free Wanderers flag to fly. Looking forward to seeing these pop up all over the city. This is the kind of promotion clubs need to get the name out there. 

 

 

Are you planning a road trip to Victoria for the first Pacific FC vs. HFX Wanderers FC match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Robert said:

It's hard to relax when you're as excited as I am about the prospect of being tested beating the current World Champions on November 16th.

I believe the Dutch are playing France on November 16'th.

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Are you planning a road trip to Victoria for the first Pacific FC vs. HFX Wanderers FC match?

Not unless they're willing to utilize two weeks worth of vacation for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×