ted

Local affiliates?

6 minutes ago, socceronly said:

The question is what are you disenfranchised about exactly?   What within my control or ability to do could be different? I hope to see you in Calgary next year if all goes well. Thank goodness the show isn't in Saskatchewan or I might have to see Jeff. 

What is so different in Victoria? Saskatoon? Regina?  Ect....

I think the points I mentioned earlier sum up my frustrations. You mentioned it earlier; this group is nothing more than a forum with games in between. But I can't convince people to join this cause when the forum, which serves as the public face, is the way it currently is. There are a lot of great voices that want to support Canadian soccer. Don't have them continue to be drowned out.

Communication with local SGs is the second point. I keep having to ask about the results of CanPL 2018 t-shirt plan, and your post earlier stating that the plan made $1300 and that you're going to use it to promote local SGs is the very first I've heard of it. The plan itself is great, but how is it that I, as the guy largely running things out of a CPL city, am just finding out now? Unless there's someone else in Calgary that you are working with? 

Also, the last time I saw Jeff he tried to convince some Egyptian girls the pyramids were built by aliens...

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

I think the points I mentioned earlier sum up my frustrations. You mentioned it earlier; this group is nothing more than a forum with games in between. But I can't convince people to join this cause when the forum, which serves as the public face, is the way it currently is. There are a lot of great voices that want to support Canadian soccer. Don't have them continue to be drowned out.

Communication with local SGs is the second point. I keep having to ask about the results of CanPL 2018 t-shirt plan, and your post earlier stating that the plan made $1300 and that you're going to use it to promote local SGs is the very first I've heard of it. The plan itself is great, but how is it that I, as the guy largely running things out of a CPL city, am just finding out now? Unless there's someone else in Calgary that you are working with? 

Also, the last time I saw Jeff he tried to convince some Egyptian girls the pyramids were built by aliens...

We love you Jeff.

Sending you a PM regarding the CanPL stuff.

49 minutes ago, socceronly said:

Because a merch revamp, depending on how you do it will not be cheap.

1. Because we need to be legal.  Have real bank accounts, sign agreements, trademark assets and if those voyageurs underpants you keep asking for cut someones testicles off you won't lose your house liability wise.

2. Strengthens the identity & legitimacy of 1.  

3. Legitimizes 2 and provides an avenue of identity for people to associate with everywhere.

4. 1-3  & 6 don't matter if you can't reach anyone.   Right now we can't reach anyone. 

Sorry,  I should have been more clear.

I just want better designed merch in group orders.

Small orders of fun products, with a group set to design and have a break even point. 

5 minutes ago, Califax said:

Sorry,  I should have been more clear.

I just want better designed merch in group orders.

Small orders of fun products, with a group set to design and have a break even point. 

Let's think of this as two separate things. 

1. Core products.

2. The Factory.  User generated madness like Towrads shirts. Jeff Mugs ect...  this would be fun. 

I don't think the forums being a half circle jerk and half a place where new members get screamed down is keeping or anything (that's basically any internet discussion space). I would guess the men's national team sticking to T.O. (mostly) and not being the team one follows in the big one is. Will probably change in the next few years once things actually get rolling with CPL, World Cup and all the Euro-based guys. Those if successful will bring in too many new people to yell at and make an even larger circle jerk of egos. We'll have a dozen BBTBs and Ansems and Mattys for every city in the country. Affiliates all around.

There's also the women's team not being discussed in as much detail as the men's team despite having the biggest star and playing more often and in non-Toronto cities but no one here seemed to think that was an issue when I mentioned it last year.

Reading through this thread, the idea that Shermanator's frustrations might actually have to condition the general tone of the board is a bit much. I think the overall attitude of sourpuss criticism is totally over the top. But it is like, okay, let's let Calgary have one spokesperson, he is them, and the whole tone of the board has to be conditioned by him. 

Hopefully, it is not going to go that way and that the one-sidedness of this thread will be taken with a bag of salt. 

The idea that people don't go onto a forum because of the odd behaviour of other human beings, I mean, it i totally silly. If that were the criteria then Facebook, Twitter and Reddit would have all failed. 

On 10/13/2018 at 3:11 AM, matty said:

I don't think the forums being a half circle jerk and half a place where new members get screamed down is keeping or anything (that's basically any internet discussion space). I would guess the men's national team sticking to T.O. (mostly) and not being the team one follows in the big one is. Will probably change in the next few years once things actually get rolling with CPL, World Cup and all the Euro-based guys. Those if successful will bring in too many new people to yell at and make an even larger circle jerk of egos. We'll have a dozen BBTBs and Ansems and Mattys for every city in the country. Affiliates all around.

There's also the women's team not being discussed in as much detail as the men's team despite having the biggest star and playing more often and in non-Toronto cities but no one here seemed to think that was an issue when I mentioned it last year.

There is no 'issue' wrt a lack of parity on women's vs men's team posts.  It just is.  My mind control satellite is broken so I can't ensure equanimity of thought and interest among all.   I'll get that fixed asap  :)  

There are posters on here that know more about the women's team, and women's soccer in general than, I would wager, almost anyone on this planet. 

People seem to be searching for issues that are mostly not there.

3 minutes ago, socceronly said:

There is no 'issue' wrt a lack of parity on women's vs men's team posts.  It just is.  My mind control satellite is broken so I can't ensure equanimity of thought and interest among all.   I'll get that fixed asap  :)  

There are posters on here that know more about the women's team, and women's soccer in general than, I would wager, almost anyone on this planet. 

People seem to be searching for issues that are mostly not there.

That part was more about women in general on these forums and the suspected lack there of which is an issue if you're looking to grow.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

That part was more about women in general on these forums and the suspected lack there of which is an issue if you're looking to grow.

It's ok if women (in general) choose to support the game differently than men.  

Let's put an end right now to the implication that we here are cause of the differences, when those differences are reflected across the board in far more complicated ways than even some very simple soccer related explanations could point to.

There is a board dedicated to the Women's NT called Big Red. The WNT fans and likely the females who would otherwise have posted here are over there.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

There is a board dedicated to the Women's NT called Big Red. The WNT fans and likely the females who would otherwise have posted here are over there.

Is that still alive? I couldn't find it the other day.

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

yea there's a crossover of mnt and wnt fans. we all know there is. it doesn't show.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

yea there's a crossover of mnt and wnt fans. we all know there is. it doesn't show.

The women are playing in front of sell out crowds. 

If those fans don't use forums, that is ok.   Most fans don't use forums no matter who they are. 

Many regular V's who go to games don't even have accounts on this site.  

1 hour ago, matty said:

Based on what evidence? From where i'm standing it's not quite as self-evident as you've stated.

14 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Based on what evidence? From where i'm standing it's not quite as self-evident as you've stated.

in terms of documented evidence, there is one demo list for a canadian team. it estimates 40% of those at tfc games are women http://www.coremedia.ca/tfc/demographics

the number is slightly better than the average of 33% of fans being female for mls.

it's safe to say from that that there is some kind of interest from women into the men's game in canada unless you want to just brush that off as nothing.

i do think the csa did a fan survey a year or so ago which would likely have more detail but has not been released.

So you are saying that women, at TFC, are almost equally delinquent in buying tickets to men's national team games.

I also suspect they are equally as ignorant of our existence as the men in that stadium. 

Forums in general are for nerds. This forum is a festival of soccer nerds.  Trying to find demons in a lack of parity as it relates to the 'real' world is not going to be productive and only have people react badly.   

You don't speak for the women in that stadium, read their minds or determine what their interests are.  

1 hour ago, matty said:

in terms of documented evidence, there is one demo list for a canadian team. it estimates 40% of those at tfc games are women http://www.coremedia.ca/tfc/demographics

the number is slightly better than the average of 33% of fans being female for mls.

it's safe to say from that that there is some kind of interest from women into the men's game in canada unless you want to just brush that off as nothing.

i do think the csa did a fan survey a year or so ago which would likely have more detail but has not been released.

So basically extrapolating Apples from Oranges. Cool.