Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

New shirt - Ship Of Fools

Recommended Posts

Ship Of Fools

  • 100 % rignspun cotton, Canadian made
  • 3.5" Voyageurs logo on back below collar
  • Maple leaf on sleeve

EDIT: Left this out. This shirt is intended for kids, and as a generic Canada shirt It is not replacing any Voyageurs soccer stuff.  It is for another store I am creating for Canada shirts.  Just thought some people might like it here or for their kids (despite the beer hat...lol)

I could have these available for Oct 16th, but only if people are positive they want them.  Otherwise there is a lot to do before that game. 

 

ship-of-fools.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be the first to say these remind me of gift shop store shirts you would see in any major Canadian city hotel, or like the ones you would see in Niagra Falls.

I think these shirt/sweater designs have to be more strategically trendy, where it's worth more than supporting towards whatever the proceeds go to. They have to have style, swag - you can wear it on a night out were friends will ask "what kind of shirt is that". The memorabilia have to be something that could be branded to the masses or better yet the millennials. 

But this is just my opinion, and like ass holes everyone's got em. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'll be the first to say these remind me of gift shop store shirts you would see in any major Canadian city hotel, or like the ones you would see in Niagra Falls.

I think these shirt/sweater designs have to be more strategically trendy, where it's worth more than supporting towards whatever the proceeds go to. They have to have style, swag - you can wear it on a night out were friends will ask "what kind of shirt is that". The memorabilia have to be something that could be branded to the masses or better yet the millennials. 

But this is just my opinion, and like ass holes everyone's got em. 

I tend to agree with this.   I like the idea of getting some V gear, but I am not a fan of the front pic.  I mean, I think it is kind of neat in a Facebook-meme sort of way, but I don't really see myself wearing that shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'll be the first to say these remind me of gift shop store shirts you would see in any major Canadian city hotel, or like the ones you would see in Niagra Falls.

I think these shirt/sweater designs have to be more strategically trendy, where it's worth more than supporting towards whatever the proceeds go to. They have to have style, swag - you can wear it on a night out were friends will ask "what kind of shirt is that". The memorabilia have to be something that could be branded to the masses or better yet the millennials. 

But this is just my opinion, and like ass holes everyone's got em. 

It's for kids.... I forgot to say that. 

You can ask the people I showed this to before posting it, I had reservations about it.   It isn't right for a soccer shirt, just a cute Canada shirt.  This shirt is actually intended for Canada Is Playing, a general Canada shirt store.

Most of what people see they take for granted in ads, team merch stores and soccer shops ect would be very difficult for us to sell.  

For style and swag you hit several problems immediately. 

Quantity:  Securing inventory consistently. Ability to secure the actual items you are thinking of.  Umbro shirts, Adidas trainers ect....  may simply not be possible.  Umbro in Canada isn't exactly Umbro, it is RMP Athletics.  They don't have access to the full product line, and the minimum numbers for a purchase would be like getting a mortgage.  

Customization:  We need to make things on demand which limits what we can do.    Since I  make it on demand, it is also possible to make errors. I learned the hardway with USector gear killing $45 trainers for a $10 margin was untenable.  So was selling them for regular retail markup of $90 (which was never the goal, and neither is it here).

Stock:  Since I front all the money for this, buying 500 Umbro shirts, customizing them and sitting on the inventory for 5 years isn't possible.  After customizing them it would be a minimum of $25K. 

Process:  We can't just copy things. Everyone, me included has wanted that white/red version of the 1912 shirt since day one. It's the best Canada shirt ever made.  I can't just order Umbro shirts to copy and Umbro shirt.   Many of the different products you see are sublimated poly/Jersey material.  So you can't easily heat press them without destroying them which limits what you can do with them.  Take the case of the white jersey above, you need a fabric cutter for the leaf and a 20K embroidery machine that does applique.   This is why we have silk screened cotton shirts.  

Space: Stock requires space.  As it is my apartment is a really neat place, but basically unlivable with equipment, banners, inventory, ect... and this is only going to get worse if the upcoming projects I have in mind see the light of day.   This isn't a complaint,  I have been doing this for years and I choose it.  But I'm really not keen on loads and loads more stock taking up space in here.  I've looked, storage would be about $350 a month.  Another $4200 a year that would go bye bye. 

 

So a lot of people say lets make this or that, but are not calculating in all the factors that make a given item possible.  Two things on the surface may seem similar, but are worlds apart for me to deliver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, socceronly said:

This is the one I would like to make into a V's jersey, but it's simply not financially viable. 

Pretty confident it would sell, and eventually sell out, but the risk would be high.   

 

Image result for johnny collar umbro red

Not to over complicate things, but I am seriously limiting the number of jerseys I buy from now on simply because I don't wear them much.  It is about the fabric and wearability - give me cotton over nylon for actual wearing any day.  I have probably 15-20 jerseys in my closet and almost never wear any of them.  Plus they are all apparently shrinking.

Now, do something like that in a cotton (like a golf-style shirt but with footie graphics) and I would be all over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to over complicate things, but I am seriously limiting the number of jerseys I buy from now on simply because I don't wear them much.  It is about the fabric and wearability - give me cotton over nylon for actual wearing any day.  I have probably 15-20 jerseys in my closet and almost never wear any of them.  Plus they are all apparently shrinking.

Now, do something like that in a cotton (like a golf-style shirt but with footie graphics) and I would be all over it.

Jerseys are polyester. Generally sublimated poly.    

I suspect this would be like the 1912 shirt, it would feel like cotton. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I was misunderstood. 

I'm not talking about getting branded clothes, like Nike, Umbro, Adidas etc. I give two shits about something being designer brand... If it looks good, it looks good. 

Im simply talking the design. I'm talking about $25 tees, where you can afford to run a batch of let's say a hundred, and it will be desirable as more people get exposed to it. "hey where'd you get that shirt? It's a Vs, shirt order it here" type conversations. To me there shouldn't even be a difference between kids shirts and adult shirts. I could be wrong, but is there a demand for that? 

I have some examples that I've been putting together, for reference. Because I personally hate giving suggestions without tangible or visible actions. 

Will post later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I think I was misunderstood. 

I'm not talking about getting branded clothes, like Nike, Umbro, Adidas etc. I give two shits about something being designer brand... If it looks good, it looks good. 

Im simply talking the design. I'm talking about $25 tees, where you can afford to run a batch of let's say a hundred, and it will be desirable as more people get exposed to it. "hey where'd you get that shirt? It's a Vs, shirt order it here" type conversations. To me there shouldn't even be a difference between kids shirts and adult shirts. I could be wrong, but is there a demand for that? 

I have some examples that I've been putting together, for reference. Because I personally hate giving suggestions without tangible or visible actions. 

Will post later. 

Don't post anything here.

https://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/forum/35-graphics-and-tifo-designs/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×