Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

How many viewing parties are too many?

I really want to build momentum on viewing parties and events across the country.  The CSA is behind helping us with this. 

But, really... how many is too many?  

U20 Mens
WNT CONCACAF
Nations League games
Next year will be a lot of games too.

How do we strike a balance? 

Do them all? 

We are looking at least 10 games in the next two months, possibly (and likely) more.

32 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Nations League and Gold Cup are the only ones I'm looking at. I don't think there's any real interest in our youth teams outside of the hardcore support, and not sure about women's qualifying either.

Was thinking later stages of those two.

If we end up playing the USA on the women's front, and likewise with USA and Mexico on the u20.

I will do Nations League & Women’s WCQ. The Nations League games are far enough apart that people will be interested again by the time the next one rolls around. 

With women’s WCQ, I think I’ll have to be more selective. With so many games in a row, targeting the higher profile games might be more worthwhile. 

For U20s, I suspect having a couple buddies over for a beer might be more likely. 

I've been thinking about this a lot.  For the Women's qualifiers, there are a lot of games in a short period, and I think getting people out to the early games against Cuba, Jamaica and Costa Rica will be tough.  It makes sense to host semi and or final viewings but those matches also bookend the October Nations League game.  I will be watching all of the games, but I'm not likely going to want to go to a bar three times in 4 days.  I might do two times though :) 

30 minutes ago, MrsC said:

I've been thinking about this a lot.  For the Women's qualifiers, there are a lot of games in a short period, and I think getting people out to the early games against Cuba, Jamaica and Costa Rica will be tough.  It makes sense to host semi and or final viewings but those matches also bookend the October Nations League game.  I will be watching all of the games, but I'm not likely going to want to go to a bar three times in 4 days.  I might do two times though :) 

And here I was hoping to go to the bar 5 times in those 4 days. :)

For what it's worth, I would say nations league, gold cup and wcq are a must. Friendlies (if we still have those), would be of interest to me.

On the women's side, obviously major tournaments are a must, regardless of stage. Not sure where I stand on qualifiers. We always qualify with ease anyways. 

Perhaps a good rule of thumb would be: If it's televised, let's get a viewing party going.

There is the potential for Sinclair to thump a few goals in against the minnows in the group stage in October.  I doubt she scores 11 goals this tournament to tie the record, but she could be within 5 or 6 goals by the final.  I feel like once it gets that close, people are going to be paying attention to every women's game.  Some of the pre-world cup friendlies in the new year could have more importance than usual friendlies.