Jump to content
Olympique_de_Marseille

CONCACAF WCQ -Texas Tournament - Oct 4th-17th

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

I've never paid much attention to where our CWNT players come from. 13 from Ontario, 5 from BC, 2 from Alberta, 1 from Manitoba, 1 from Quebec, and 1 from Colorado.

 It's surprising to me that there is only 1 from Quebec. Are they usually this underrepresented? Is Quebec too busy working on winning all of our Olympic medals to play soccer?

I think there are some Quebec players good enough. However, they aren't getting any looks. I think someone like Évelyne Viens who was ranked top 20 by top drawer soccer. I'd argue that she's good enough to make the 20-player roster now.  However, she never got a look. They'd rather have a 16 year old than her or an unattached Maegan Kelly. (I'm looking at the preliminary roster of 35)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kent said:

I've never paid much attention to where our CWNT players come from. 13 from Ontario, 5 from BC, 2 from Alberta, 1 from Manitoba, 1 from Quebec, and 1 from Colorado.

It's surprising to me that there is only 1 from Quebec. Are they usually this underrepresented? Is Quebec too busy working on winning all of our Olympic medals to play soccer?

A trio of players from Quebec retired in 2017 (Wilkinson, Nault, Belanger).  But I agree, I am also surprised that there aren't more players from Quebec on the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 12:37 PM, nstarsfan said:

Does anyone know what will be streamed live or televised?

Nothing in the TV listings as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 4:11 PM, NickH said:

A trio of players from Quebec retired in 2017 (Wilkinson, Nault, Belanger).  But I agree, I am also surprised that there aren't more players from Quebec on the roster.

Games too. Quebec is almost 25% of the country but since 2004 the WNT have played just one single women's game in Quebec (and that was the World Cup). While playing almost 10 in France in the same period. Perhaps that is our way to show we support linguistic equality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 2:27 PM, Kent said:

What are you advocating for? Only have the best from Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta compete and whoever wins are national and also world champions?

I digress one last time, because this is killing a great topic. 

We split the atom 100 years ago and put a man on the moon 50 years ago. I'm advocating for a fair system of competition that optimizes the meager resources we have. I don't see that as more difficult than the former. We can't change the world but we can change ourselves.

I remember the German guy who coached their youth teams for 20 years. He came to North America and someone asked him what our biggest problem was. His answer had nothing to do with coaching or the technical part of the game. He said you can only have one organization in charge of the game.

With political correctness comes inefficiency and waste. I guess you pick your poison. You're always savage one way or another. I'd just rather not have a system with national youth team players on club teams opposite people who can barely kick a ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Desiree Scott misses out due to injury (out 6-8 weeks).  Excited to see what this squad can do.  I would've liked to see Hellstrom involved in the tournament, as I've never actually seen her play for Canada (and she was listed as a FB, a position where we could use more depth).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad about Desiree Scott, she was quality and a key piece of the puzzle. Will be interesting to see the adaption to her absence.

GROUP A - 143 ranking points

USA 1 
Mexico 24 
Trinidad & Tobago 52
Panama 66

GROUP B - 191 ranking points

Canada 5 
Costa Rica 34
Jamaica 64
Cuba 88

USA/Mexico play right out of the gate in the first tournament game so we'll know our crossover opponent right away which will avoid a lot of drama.

CONCACAF tournaments are a bit of a gift in that you usually play a couple soft teams and can maximize your players sharpness for the big games. We don't meet anything higher than 34 while the Mexicans have to play the world #1.

Mexico and Costa Rica have played a half dozen times in the last five years and the Ticas have actually stolen two of them.

Edited by Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vic said:

Too bad about Desiree Scott, she was quality and a key piece of the puzzle. Will be interesting to see the adaption to her absence.

GROUP A - 143 ranking points

USA 1 
Mexico 24 
Trinidad & Tobago 52
Panama 66

GROUP B - 191 ranking points

Canada 5 
Costa Rica 34
Jamaica 64
Cuba 88

USA/Mexico play right out of the gate in the first tournament game so we'll know our crossover opponent right away which will avoid a lot of drama.

CONCACAF tournaments are a bit of a gift in that you usually play a couple soft teams and can maximize your players sharpness for the big games. We don't meet anything higher than 34 while the Mexicans have to play the world #1.

Mexico and Costa Rica have played a half dozen times in the last five years and the Ticas have actually stolen two of them.

I think Quinn can play Scott's position and maybe add a little more offence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always thought that the team took a major step forward when Scott took that defensive midfielder role.  We were too easy to score on before that, and not even Sinclair could make up the goal difference against the top-flight teams.  Scott's defensive positioning and awareness are impeccable, and she is deceptively quick.  Quinn may be more offensively minded, but she's less defensively responsible.  I'm nervous about returning to those days when we were more porous on defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me Scott's lost her fastball the last couple years. To be honest, in a competition where we can make a couple mistakes and still succeed I don't mind seeing Canada forced to make gameplans without her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, nstarsfan said:

Does anyone know what will be streamed live or televised?

I wonder if the new sports streaming service 'DAZN' will show any? They carried the UCLA vs Stanford women's game last week and showed all the women's FIBA games. Nothing on their schedule now though, but not too sure how far in advance they list things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jith12 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4848040

Sinc makes a very good point, but an internal rift is not what we need right now. 


Christine Sinclair is a house hold name in Canada. Atiba Hutchinson is not. The men's team is in need of some big time promotion/advertising. I think its fair the CSA is pushing hard on this game. 

Edited by Bully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are one of the extremely rare countries in the world where the amount of promotion for our women's team is generally equal to that of our men's team.  And that spends almost all of it's women's funding on it's national team, and pays the players salaries.

 As opposed to intolerance, it may have been more positive to say honest and heart-felt good luck to the men (who as opposed to a cakewalk gifted WC qualification have a huge battle) and we know next year during the 2019WWC for months we will be far and above the huge focus of the CSA marketing team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think her point is that it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  Both teams can be hyped at the same time, assuming that the CSA has the resources to double it's low number of tweets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Canada Soccer website:

How to watch Canada’s group stage
 
In Canada, the Concacaf Women’s Championship will be broadcast by Concacaf on ConcacafGO.com. Direct links to Canada’s games are as follows:
 
Friday, October 5, 2018 at 20:30 ET (17:30 PT): Canada Soccer Women’s National Team v Jamaica
 
Monday, October 8, 2018 at 20:30 ET (17:30 PT): Canada Soccer Women’s National Team v Cuba
 
Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 22:00 ET (19:00 PT): Canada Soccer Women’s National Team v Costa Rica
 
In addition, exclusive behind-the scenes content and post-match commentary is available on Canada Soccer’s digital channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rkomar said:

I think her point is that it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  Both teams can be hyped at the same time, assuming that the CSA has the resources to double it's low number of tweets.

The CSA is hyping the men's game because it's a home game that they are trying to sell tickets for while the women's games are just being streamed. When the ladies have home games, they get plenty of hype. This is all about driving ticket sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good point.

Does Ballou Tabla now tweet about the massive promotional backlash to the women's team in the past day or two?  Has any guy on the men's team in the history of the men's program and the internet ever complained when the women had more of the focus?

In Europe you often see the men's and women's players and sometimes teams out at each other's games and supporting each other and often with great relationships (... seem to remember the Danish men gave some of their money to the women last year). Beyond the synergy it creates it's beautiful to see when there is mutual respect and appreciation and the goodwill when it happens.

Imagine if Sinclair had picked up the phone or emailed or DM'd the CSA marketing folks (or her team manager) and said hey you need to up your game on the WWCQ and then tweeted something really positive like "Way to go MNT and can't wait to see your game and we're all fully behind you!" That probably achieves both and a better outcome and without the drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sting said:

The CSA is hyping the men's game because it's a home game that they are trying to sell tickets for while the women's games are just being streamed. When the ladies have home games, they get plenty of hype. This is all about driving ticket sales.

I have no problem with the CSA hyping the men's game like they are.  The problem is not hyping the women even though they start their WCQ tournament this week.  Again, what's wrong with doing both?  Do they sell fewer tickets for the men's game if they tweet something about the women, too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×