Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

What is your pub's capabilitly for streaming games?

Can your local pub for viewing parties stream games? 

Will they let you plug in a Chromecast?

Nothing is guaranteed yet, but a stream is highly likely.

I don't want us to create, and the CSA to promote viewing parties if it is an A/V shit show.

I'm not planning anything for Calgary for any streamed games. To add to this, I'm no longer using the Voyageurs as the vehicle to promote Calgary watch parties for national team games either. 

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

I'm not planning anything for Calgary for any streamed games. To add to this, I'm no longer using the Voyageurs as the vehicle to promote Calgary watch parties for national team games either. 

Switching to CanPL SG stuff then? 

1 hour ago, socceronly said:

Switching to CanPL SG stuff then? 

Yup. The Voyageurs are not a known entity in Calgary outside of maybe a dozen people, given that they've never actually been in Calgary in their truest form (e.g. as a supporters section at a Canada game). That doesn't mean I won't advertise Canada watch parties on the Facebook group, but it will be through our CPL supporters group.

37 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Yup. The Voyageurs are not a known entity in Calgary outside of maybe a dozen people, given that they've never actually been in Calgary in their truest form (e.g. as a supporters section at a Canada game). That doesn't mean I won't advertise Canada watch parties on the Facebook group, but it will be through our CPL supporters group.

Well we do need to grow from coast to coast for what is coming.

We always use the local SGs when creating those supporters sections.  It isn't one or the other. 

We will help you however we can, just don't cut us out of the loop.    The CSA will help us promote these things and we are working on standards to help them support events ... even if it's just a few plates of nachos the will is there going forward to make these things better. 

1 hour ago, socceronly said:

Well we do need to grow from coast to coast for what is coming.

We always use the local SGs when creating those supporters sections.  It isn't one or the other. 

We will help you however we can, just don't cut us out of the loop.    The CSA will help us promote these things and we are working on standards to help them support events ... even if it's just a few plates of nachos the will is there going forward to make these things better. 

Appreciating that you can't exactly control this, what exactly is coming? All I see are more games nowhere near Calgary. If there's ever a national team game in Calgary, give me a shout. But given that it hasn't happened in my lifetime, I'm not holding my breath.

In the 3 years I've organized the watch parties in Calgary, we've grown from 5 people around a 4 person table in a strip mall pub watching a small tube TV with no sound, to a dedicated section in the busy entertainment area, with multiple big screens and sound with 30+ people. Every bit helps, but I don't know how much promotion from official Voyageurs avenues does more than what I'm already covering. Unless the Voyageurs are the source of the CSA promotion, which I think reaches a far bigger audience than I can.

Perhaps my view is blurred somewhat given the fact that a lot of the national team supporters are also Calgary Foothills / Cavalry supporters. However the best platform to me in growing the interest around national team games has been word of mouth and social media (Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Calgarypuck). I really think that using the supporters scene at CPL game to get further word of mouth will be the best way to build on this. 

Our usual pub here in Victoria is already booked for the Seattle Seahawks season opener at the same time. Yep, US pointy-ball. :(

Working on an alternative.

14 hours ago, shermanator said:

Appreciating that you can't exactly control this, what exactly is coming? All I see are more games nowhere near Calgary. If there's ever a national team game in Calgary, give me a shout. But given that it hasn't happened in my lifetime, I'm not holding my breath.

In the 3 years I've organized the watch parties in Calgary, we've grown from 5 people around a 4 person table in a strip mall pub watching a small tube TV with no sound, to a dedicated section in the busy entertainment area, with multiple big screens and sound with 30+ people. Every bit helps, but I don't know how much promotion from official Voyageurs avenues does more than what I'm already covering. Unless the Voyageurs are the source of the CSA promotion, which I think reaches a far bigger audience than I can.

Perhaps my view is blurred somewhat given the fact that a lot of the national team supporters are also Calgary Foothills / Cavalry supporters. However the best platform to me in growing the interest around national team games has been word of mouth and social media (Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Calgarypuck). I really think that using the supporters scene at CPL game to get further word of mouth will be the best way to build on this. 

This is what is supposed to happen. 

Calgary is not alone in this country for not getting any games.  It is though in a better position than most in proximity to Edmonton.   There will be a men's World Cup game in Edmonton, an incredible prospect, and that is closer to you than anyone else in the country and I am, on many levels starting to organize that supporters section now.

If you look at a Vancouver game, you see set up on our site South Siders, Raincity, Curva ect...  and similar for Toronto.  This is supposed to be a win win situation, not an either or.   There are many people in V's that are not part of a local SG, and many people in the SGs who emphatically do not support the national team.   As joint events they bridge the gap both have benifted from the crossover with people joining each way. 

Viewing parties are always hosted at a local supporters bar.  This is true in Regina, Torono, Vancouver, Winnipeg ect...  If we can grow the local CanPL SG's that are now on the scene, that is fantastic. 

Whatever you do, we will always help you promote it.  We set up the list for the CSA to publish and act as the intermediary between all the groups for national team games so it isn't a mess of people contacting them which was the case in the past. 

So many of the things I have always wanted to do are now possible and will hopefully be realised over the next few years.   I have no doubt we will have people in Calgary we can push to your supporters group, and will. 

Not very tech savvy. The main soccer bar in Windsor is adding streaming due to Champions League otherwise if it’s during the day the guy just streams through his laptop. Small local pub I go to I stream stuff off my phone and push it to their Apple TV like  for the V Cup stuff. But as usual pretty much only me down here and the odd friend who I can rope into watching 

On 8/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, Rheo said:

Not very tech savvy. The main soccer bar in Windsor is adding streaming due to Champions League otherwise if it’s during the day the guy just streams through his laptop. Small local pub I go to I stream stuff off my phone and push it to their Apple TV like  for the V Cup stuff. But as usual pretty much only me down here and the odd friend who I can rope into watching 

Right, any half decent footy bar should be getting ready for streaming as the Champions League will be on DAZN only.