jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

If Davies does join Bayern first team training after the St Kitts (and Nevis..) game, I think the first game he can actually play is in early February. That will give him a couple months of training, getting to know his teammates, new country etc. Couldn't ask for a better situation IMO.

If Davies does join Bayern first team training after the St Kitts (and Nevis..) game, I think the first game he can actually play is in early February. That will give him a couple months of training, getting to know his teammates, new country etc. Couldn't ask for a better situation IMO.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:52 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you want we can do a long list of even more expensive players who have not played or even gotten time with a reserve side, I am game if you are. Every major club has either one or two now, or has in the last few years. You can't just make up statements that are not based in fact: all major clubs have huge investments sitting around, playing for reserves, loaned out, and so on. 

The Germany B3 is probably the best in the world right now, as I see it. Or in there with League One. If you can't give a player minutes on the first team, you don't just sit there stubbornly saying we paid this or that and not keep him game sharp. Not done. You send him down to the B team and he adapts, he learns language, he learns system. He is pushed. I'd love to see Davies spend a month in B3 tearing things up, it would be fun. As long as he is not going to get 1st team minutes on one of the top 8 clubs in the world.

The point I was making is that you cant compare Bayern Munich, whos last biggest $$ signing was Arturo Vidal at 40M back in 2015, and reckless teams like Real Madrid, like you were doing. And no, the "top 8 teams" dont necessarely manage their rosters the same way.

He wont go to the reserves. He will be loaned out if he can't make the first team, but he'll get a serious shot as soon as he's available. Bayern always give a real shot to their young players, especially if they actually paid for them instead of just signing them on a free from another Bundesliga team.

The old wingers are showing their age, the team aint playing so well, and Kovac likes his young dynamic players.

Edited by Shakmur

7 hours ago, Shakmur said:

The point I was making is that you cant compare Bayern Munich, whos last biggest $$ signing was Arturo Vidal at 40M back in 2015, and reckless teams like Real Madrid, like you were doing. And no, the "top 8 teams" dont necessarely manage their rosters the same way.

He wont go to the reserves. He will be loaned out if he can't make the first team, but he'll get a serious shot as soon as he's available. Bayern always give a real shot to their young players, especially if they actually paid for them instead of just signing them on a free from another Bundesliga team.

The old wingers are showing their age, the team aint playing so well, and Kovac likes his young dynamic players.

I'm sure you are right, partly because I was wrong as I admitted: their B team is in 4th tier, not third. So that is no good for Davies.

And having watched a bit of Bayern lately, last weekend, I think he'll get a chance. They have great pieces, play well, but are ageing, as you say. Mind you, vs. Dortmund Ribery was probably their best player, they have other problems to deal with that are perhaps more important. But I think Davies will get a chance.

Hopefully Davies can have the same impact on Bayern as 18 yr old England International Jadon Sancho has had on Dortmund. He tested the Bayern defenders and was a real treat with his speed. Pulisic was left on the bench in the game that Dortmund won.

20 hours ago, masster said:

Hopefully he can continue to get chances to be a kid and relax away from all the pressures and responsibilities of being such a big talent at such a young age.  He shows absolutely everything you'd want to see from a kid thrust into the spotlight, he speaks and carries himself so well as good as he does on the field, really high hopes for him and the combo of talent/personality/maturity is super impressive.  

2 hours ago, villus said:

Hopefully he can continue to get chances to be a kid and relax away from all the pressures and responsibilities of being such a big talent at such a young age.  He shows absolutely everything you'd want to see from a kid thrust into the spotlight, he speaks and carries himself so well as good as he does on the field, really high hopes for him and the combo of talent/personality/maturity is super impressive.  

If you compare him to our Dembele at Barça, I think that Bayern is getting a better deal. I am comparing as I see Davies in the same pack as Dembele and Mbappe, that kind of lightning fast wing with youth and dare. Dembele has a great talent, scores, but his head is not in the game, he loses the ball stupidly, is out of position, normally does not want to defend, and then he goes out and misses training sessions, and arrives late to others...so much so that even Deschamps has said he has problems being a responsible professional, like being on time and paying attention, and then the excuses that he is young, and all that. 

Davies is younger than either and I think is a full-fledged responsible pro, from what I can gather his head is on right and any errors related to youth will simply involve him being in the process of learning the top tier game, nothing more.

The fact he’s going to Bayern and fully focused on Canada at the moment is really saying something.  I can think of quite a few Canadians who, unfortunately, I could see skipping a nations league qualifier in the Caribbean for less than being on the verge of a $20 million move to Bayern Munich.

Edited by Keegan

Which I think it's so key. If you're a player who is not at Davies levels but still might bring a ton of value to our national team and you see Alphonso showing up, I feel like you'd be far more inclined to do the same that if he was not setting this example.

It's been my dream for Davies to be a better player than Christian "Wonder-Boy" Pulisic, soon we shall start being able to have this comparison!

21 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Which I think it's so key. If you're a player who is not at Davies levels but still might bring a ton of value to our national team and you see Alphonso showing up, I feel like you'd be far more inclined to do the same that if he was not setting this example.

It's been my dream for Davies to be a better player than Christian "Wonder-Boy" Pulisic, soon we shall start being able to have this comparison!

I geuinely believe Phonzie has the potential to be much better than Pulisic, he has everything he needs, and more. Pulisic does not have anywhere near the same tools at his disposal

22 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I remember some people were quite sceptic about phonzie’s skill compared to Pulisic’s back when Pulisic was lighting it up in the Bundesliga and phonzie still hadn’t scored a league goal.

Look how far he’s come. Now he will be going up against Pulisic first hand

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

I geuinely believe Phonzie has the potential to be much better than Pulisic, he has everything he needs, and more. Pulisic does not have anywhere near the same tools at his disposal

I really like Pulisic, but I tend to agree with this.

He has outstanding pace, but Davies is just an absolute freak athlete. 

Leading up to 2026, if both reach their potential, I think they can be two of the premier players in our region, although you can make the case Pulisic already is. 

That will be great for a US/Canada rivalry that hasn't really gotten off the ground in recent years. We're to blame for that, I suppose.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies is younger than either and I think is a full-fledged responsible pro, from what I can gather his head is on right and any errors related to youth will simply involve him being in the process of learning the top tier game, nothing more.

He was a much more disciplined pro than several of his senior Whitecaps teammates this past season. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I really like Pulisic, but I tend to agree with this.

He has outstanding pace, but Davies is just an absolute freak athlete. 

Leading up to 2026, if both reach their potential, I think they can be two of the premier players in our region, although you can make the case Pulisic already is. 

That will be great for a US/Canada rivalry that hasn't really gotten off the ground in recent years. We're to blame for that, I suppose.

Pulisic is arguably the second best player in the region after Chucky Lozano as of right now.  Look Phonzie has a huge ceiling and is doing great right now and has way more athleticism, but Pulisic has already shined in the Bundesliga and the Champions league and has a very good soccer mind already.  I don't want to rush the comparisons, I think Davies can compete and surpass him but there's still a ways to go to catch him and Pulisic has the advantage of already being at a big club and getting to play on the big stage from a young age, Davies will you'd imagine will take some time to climatize.  

12 hours ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Davies will wear #19 at Bayern:

Davies.jpg

As per his Instagram a week or two ago asking his followers which number he should pick. I can't remember the other choice, but I believe it was in the 30s.

Glad no. 19 was his choice though!

8 hours ago, villus said:

Pulisic is arguably the second best player in the region after Chucky Lozano as of right now.  Look Phonzie has a huge ceiling and is doing great right now and has way more athleticism, but Pulisic has already shined in the Bundesliga and the Champions league and has a very good soccer mind already.  I don't want to rush the comparisons, I think Davies can compete and surpass him but there's still a ways to go to catch him and Pulisic has the advantage of already being at a big club and getting to play on the big stage from a young age, Davies will you'd imagine will take some time to climatize.  

As an aside, I agree that it's arguable, because I don't know if Lozano is a clear number 1 ahead of Pulisic. He puts up crazy numbers at PSV, better than Pulisic for sure, but Dortmund are the better club, in a better league. Both are consistently linked to big clubs, but Lozano is 3 years older. I think it probably comes down to if you prefer Mexican or American :)

Edited by Obinna

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

As per his Instagram a week or two ago asking his followers which number he should pick. I can't remember the other choice, but I believe it was in the 30s.

Yet another sign that he'll be getting a legitimate shot at first-team minutes straight away. 

I will be buying that shirt for my football-mad, 10-year old, Swedish nephew soon.

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

More of a question than statement. Hasnt Pulisic kinda been dropped recently from Dortmund?

Kinda.

He seemed to be an everyday starter last season, seemingly at the expense of Gotze. Now the young english boy Sancho from Man City's academy has eaten into his minutes, but Pulisic still gets a lot of minutes regardless.

Some games he starts, some games he doesn't, but I don't think "dropped" is the appropriate word choice.

Edited by Obinna

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

It was 14.