shamrock

Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

Apologies in advance for the slight tangent, but Pacific should be careful for how they treat Issey, in particular if they are ever in a position where they want to get rid of him. The last thing he did with TFC was score the game winning penalty in a shootout in Vancouver in the 2014 Canadian Championship. Then they traded him away on his birthday and it occurred to me last weekend as I watched TFC miss yet another penalty, that maybe he put a curse (I don't actually believe in curses, but this is fun) on the team. TFC have been involved in 2 shootouts since they traded Issey and I imagine a lot of people here know how they turned out in the 2016 MLS Cup final and the 2017 CCL final.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also says he did not understand the trading system and had been happy at TFC before being sent to Impact.

Given he has been very vocal about this in the past, I imagine he would have gotten some assurances this wouldn't happen in the CPL. I wonder if we can assume there will be no trades in CPL (at least without the consent of the player).

56 minutes ago, Kent said:

Apologies in advance for the slight tangent, but Pacific should be careful for how they treat Issey, in particular if they are ever in a position where they want to get rid of him. The last thing he did with TFC was score the game winning penalty in a shootout in Vancouver in the 2014 Canadian Championship. Then they traded him away on his birthday and it occurred to me last weekend as I watched TFC miss yet another penalty, that maybe he put a curse (I don't actually believe in curses, but this is fun) on the team. TFC have been involved in 2 shootouts since they traded Issey and I imagine a lot of people here know how they turned out in the 2016 MLS Cup final and the 2017 CCL final.

omg we have a sports curse. someone quick right a blog about this. i am 100% serious

i will right the blog if someone will publish it.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:33 PM, masster said:

I've been a little disappointed in how Pacific FC has covered their training camp and trip to Tofino. Absolutely no articles or news on their website. Just a few pictures and clips on twitter. Who is in camp? Any trialists? (Even if you don't want to name them, give us a number). How hard is it to give a daily recap?

I'm dying here for news. You have a new team and you want to create a connection between the fan base and your club. Keeo feeding them information.

Did they do this just for me? :-)
http://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/pacific-fcs-tofino-training-camp-comes-to-a-close

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Correction, 2018 CCL final. So the shootouts were 2014, 2016, and 2018. Seems to be gearing up for a 2020 shootout with Pacific in the Voyageurs Cup. I wonder if Issey scoring against TFC in their 3rd straight shootout loss will end the curse (bringing it full circle) or cement it for all time.

Posted (edited)

http://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/pacific-fc-returns-to-training-with-draft-picks-trialists-in-the-mix

Pacific FC trialists.  Obviously a number of defenders.  Ruby was a very good Whitecaps prospect and played for U17 CMNT, still only 18.

Hundal was a stud at University of Victoria  and had looks once upon a time from MLS teams as well as training stints in Europe.  

Camara obviously turned an excellent Simon Fraser career into an MLS combine invite, then drafted by San Jose.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

I like that while other CPL clubs have already released their U-Sports draftees, Pacific is still working them in, not putting them in a position to grab a key roster spot but one that is further down in the pecking order. Also giving them more time to prepare and ease in.

Although I would also hope that a released draftee would then be able to try for another CPL team.

I am just hoping that Pacific does give at least a few of them a shot. If they have players from a lower level university league, they should have a spot for them.

12 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Camara obviously turned an excellent Simon Fraser career into an MLS combine invite, then drafted by San Jose.

Yeah if you're top50 (40?) college player one would assume you could play in CPL. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

probably better for the team now than later as they can adjust but it sounds like he's out for the season. hope there's cap relief or something for the team but really hope this isn't as bad as it sounds for marcel's sake.

Edited by matty

Man thats brutal news. He was without a doubt one of the highlight signings. I was excited to see him feature in the Gold Cup this summer too (presumably).  Figured he had one of the best shots  to represent CPL in a Canada jersey. 

Even though I was nervous to see HFX line up against him, this news brings no pleasure. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

We have been told Marcel is going into surgery today. He is reportedly gutted about disappointing the fans. We are hoping to arrange a delegation(s) to visit him ASAP and offer him support and wish him a full recovery.

19 minutes ago, ted said:

We have been told Marcel is going into surgery today. He is reportedly gutted about disappointing the fans. We are hoping to arrange a delegation(s) to visit him ASAP and offer him support and wish him a full recovery.

Be sure to tell him not to rush his recovery. We'd rather he come back long-term and healthy, than early and take the chance of undoing all the healing.

25 minutes ago, ted said:

Let him know that coast-to-coast (seriously, I'm in Newfoundland) people are feeling for him, and wishing him a speedy recovery. As the poster above mentions - don't push it. He can make it into the tail-end of the season still, and he has many more years ahead of him.