Jump to content
Sébastien

General - CONCACAF Nations League

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, matty said:

How if they have to play Haiti? Are they going to beat or draw Haiti? Are two teams that play each other going to go forward? Have you actually looked at the draws or are you just saying shit to say shit?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think 3 wins and a draw could get those teams through. I don't think I would pick them both to go through, but it's certainly possible.

Man I can't wait for this to start. I'm all for our home games to be held in places that haven't had games in a long time/ever, but if the October game ends up in Toronto I've got interest from a pretty big group of coworkers to go to the game. Hopefully their interest doesn't die down as World Cup fever subsides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kent said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to think 3 wins and a draw could get those teams through. I don't think I would pick them both to go through, but it's certainly possible.

Man I can't wait for this to start. I'm all for our home games to be held in places that haven't had games in a long time/ever, but if the October game ends up in Toronto I've got interest from a pretty big group of coworkers to go to the game. Hopefully their interest doesn't die down as World Cup fever subsides.

It's possible but it's to reliant on perfection from a super weak Cuban side who also have to beat D.R..

Can't wait either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to think 3 wins and a draw could get those teams through. I don't think I would pick them both to go through, but it's certainly possible.

Man I can't wait for this to start. I'm all for our home games to be held in places that haven't had games in a long time/ever, but if the October game ends up in Toronto I've got interest from a pretty big group of coworkers to go to the game. Hopefully their interest doesn't die down as World Cup fever subsides.

Canada's games I could definitely see being in the aforementioned World Cup 2026 cities of Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton as far as home games for the Nations League games with Vancouver also getting to host games at BC Place for Nations League games. At this point it is anyone's guess as for where Canada will play their games for the Nations League because it could really be anywhere in Canada but I was just throwing out names for cities that I think Canada could play their home games in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 1:48 AM, An Observer said:

I am continually amazed at how people keep responding to people like him on this board?  Ignore is a wonderful feature.  I think it says as much about the posters as those that respond to them.  The responders just can't help themselves and must argue or counter every point that even a clear imbecile makes.  I feel sorry for their wives. It must be hell living with them (and don't interpret that as me saying their wives are imbeciles as that is not my point).,

I used to love reading and posting on here. Lately when I read posts (similar to the garbage you see on Facebook) I just get disheartened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What should Canada’s expectations be I know we expect them to qualify for the Gold Cup, and make League A but after that should we expect them to at least make the semi finals, or to not get relegated to League B?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

What should Canada’s expectations be I know we expect them to qualify for the Gold Cup, and make League A but after that should we expect them to at least make the semi finals, or to not get relegated to League B?

Making league A is definitely a must. Anything less would be a complete and total disappointment. Should we do that, I'd say expectations would be not to get relegated. Knowing disappointing results in the past, I wouldn't want to put my expectations so high as to say we should be in the final championship. We do have a lot of good, young talent playing in great form at their clubs though so we can hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

Making league A is definitely a must. Anything less would be a complete and total disappointment. Should we do that, I'd say expectations would be not to get relegated. Knowing disappointing results in the past, I wouldn't want to put my expectations so high as to say we should be in the final championship. We do have a lot of good, young talent playing in great form at their clubs though so we can hope!

Ya that is what I was thinking as well I guess it all depends on which group we get placed in. If we draw In League A with Mexico I’d say be competitive and at least get second but I think if we draw USA (Just because with the US I don’t think they are as strong as they used to be) we could hope for a shot but in my opinion if we draw Costa Rica, or Panama we should think we could win the group if they play well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Ya that is what I was thinking as well I guess it all depends on which group we get placed in. If we draw In League A with Mexico I’d say be competitive and at least get second but I think if we draw USA (Just because with the US I don’t think they are as strong as they used to be) we could hope for a shot but in my opinion if we draw Costa Rica, or Panama we should think we could win the group if they play well.

Big factor in general is Central America. We just can't win there (unless its Belize or another crappy team like that). I know it's gotta give at some point but its crazy how much trouble we have there. Having Costa Rica, Honduras, etc in our group would still make me lean more towards us getting second in the three team group, avoiding relegation. Hoping things change though, we're gonna need it for the next round of FIFA WCQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Big factor in general is Central America. We just can't win there (unless its Belize or another crappy team like that). I know it's gotta give at some point but its crazy how much trouble we have there. Having Costa Rica, Honduras, etc in our group would still make me lean more towards us getting second in the three team group, avoiding relegation. Hoping things change though, we're gonna need it for the next round of FIFA WCQ

Ya I agree but I guess I’m just hopeful with a lot of our players having career years (Davies, Osorio) and players playing at new top levels (Hoilett, Larin, Cavallini) and with new up and coming players who show great promise (Millar, David) we can maybe overcome that just need to improve our defence I still think if only Ferreira would commit he is not the savour but would bring a massive boost to the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Ya I agree but I guess I’m just hopeful with a lot of our players having career years (Davies, Osorio) and players playing at new top levels (Hoilett, Larin, Cavallini) and with new up and coming players who show great promise (Millar, David) we can maybe overcome that just need to improve our defence I still think if only Ferreira would commit he is not the savour but would bring a massive boost to the roster.

Has anyone watched Ferreira play on a consistent basis? I have only seen him play a few times in UEFA and while he seems like a strong tackler and good on the ball he seldom moves past his own 3rd of the field and looks a tad slow. This concerns me. Then again a small sample to judge from. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has watched him play a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Has anyone watched Ferreira play on a consistent basis? I have only seen him play a few times in UEFA and while he seems like a strong tackler and good on the ball he seldom moves past his own 3rd of the field and looks a tad slow. This concerns me. Then again a small sample to judge from. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has watched him play a lot.

He is still young, 25 years old but playing at a way higher level then what unless I’m wrong any other defender we have is playing, so it depends he is used to playing higher quality teams so I think he would be maybe not an elite but I’d say great for CONCACAF play and surely would slot in as our number 1 defender, which is the position we are in the most need for quality players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Has anyone watched Ferreira play on a consistent basis? I have only seen him play a few times in UEFA and while he seems like a strong tackler and good on the ball he seldom moves past his own 3rd of the field and looks a tad slow. This concerns me. Then again a small sample to judge from. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has watched him play a lot.

I see the same thing but I also have watched him as much as you by the sounds of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Has anyone watched Ferreira play on a consistent basis? I have only seen him play a few times in UEFA and while he seems like a strong tackler and good on the ball he seldom moves past his own 3rd of the field and looks a tad slow. This concerns me. Then again a small sample to judge from. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has watched him play a lot.

Yeah in the handful of games i've seen him play he looks like a big (6'3", 200lb-ish) guy. good in the air, good positioning but not the most mobile guy around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What should we expect out of these qualifying matches? I know we should win all the games and that should be a minimum, but should we also have an expectation to have all clean sheets as well as win by at least 3-4 goals against pot 2-3-4 teams and maybe by 2 at minimum against French Guiana we beat the 4-2 on neutral ground in the gold cup though I thought we lapsed and should have got out of that game with a clean sheet.What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

What should we expect out of these qualifying matches? I know we should win all the games and that should be a minimum, but should we also have an expectation to have all clean sheets as well as win by at least 3-4 goals against pot 2-3-4 teams and maybe by 2 at minimum against French Guiana we beat the 4-2 on neutral ground in the gold cup though I thought we lapsed and should have got out of that game with a clean sheet.What do you think?

3 wins and a greater than +10 GD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 9:24 AM, Tg11 said:

Canada's games I could definitely see being in the aforementioned World Cup 2026 cities of Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton as far as home games for the Nations League games with Vancouver also getting to host games at BC Place for Nations League games. At this point it is anyone's guess as for where Canada will play their games for the Nations League because it could really be anywhere in Canada but I was just throwing out names for cities that I think Canada could play their home games in.

I would pray for the men’s national team to come to Edmonton although very unlikely but one could hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

What should we expect out of these qualifying matches? I know we should win all the games and that should be a minimum, but should we also have an expectation to have all clean sheets as well as win by at least 3-4 goals against pot 2-3-4 teams and maybe by 2 at minimum against French Guiana we beat the 4-2 on neutral ground in the gold cup though I thought we lapsed and should have got out of that game with a clean sheet.What do you think?

Honestly, I think Canada got the best draw for this. I fully expect 4 wins and only one match not already being comfortable by halftime, that one likely being against French Guyana.

Even though the competition is not fantastic and I won't be able to attend any Canada matches, I am freakishly excited to watch the CMNT play some meaningful soccer once again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that the first 2 games will be fairly comfortable, but that game 3 could very easily be a 1 goal game. I would be satisfied with 10 points and a plus 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never ever underestimate anyone of Canada's opponents but they should destroy USVI by at least 7 goals if they play a decent lineup. Neutral ground (No home advantage) 5 wins in the past twenty years and recent loses to Curaco and French Guyana by seven goals.. They need to start off the NL with a convincing victory and I'm predicting Canada's largest victory in their history. The only thing Canada needs to overcome is a slow start because of the lack of emotion, ambiance etc.. Two early goals and we'll win 8-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching our U23B team run over Guyana and Grenada it’ll be interesting to see how the full squad does here.  They always seem to underwhelm aside from that one match in st Lucia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Addona said:

I suspect that the first 2 games will be fairly comfortable, but that game 3 could very easily be a 1 goal game. I would be satisfied with 10 points and a plus 8.

You are more worried about the St. Kitts game then the French Guiana game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously if we have to worry about ANY of these teams we are in worse shape than I thought. We'll win all 4 games with a min. + 10 goal difference. You heard it  first here.😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 10:12 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

3 wins and a greater than +10 GD.

There is 4 games just an FYI, we play USVI, Dominica, St. Kitts, and French Guiana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×