Jump to content
Ansem

FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

We will see how it all goes I guess. It can be risky, I agree. But that is why they brought in a guy like Lars as coach. He will be the “veteran presence” even though he can’t play. In a salary cap league, with only 7 internationals allowed, I am perfectly fine with taking a slight risk on these guys. 

This isn’t like they don’t have any experience. These are guys who have played a lot of games at a high level. If they aren’t quite pro quality the first year, the will be awfully close. Jeff Paulus knows what he is getting in these keepers much more than any of us do.

There are plenty of MLS keepers who are clearly below the average level of the league, and of the players around them: you consistently see them sign scrub between the posts, and then teams just work their way around it, or through it, or whatever. 

It seems to be a standard roster sacrifice in North America, and I don't know why, since play is sloppier and looser they actually end up having a lot of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

We will see how it all goes I guess. It can be risky, I agree. But that is why they brought in a guy like Lars as coach. He will be the “veteran presence” even though he can’t play. In a salary cap league, with only 7 internationals allowed, I am perfectly fine with taking a slight risk on these guys. 

This isn’t like they don’t have any experience. These are guys who have played a lot of games at a high level. If they aren’t quite pro quality the first year, the will be awfully close. Jeff Paulus knows what he is getting in these keepers much more than any of us do.

And they have shown to have a fairly good eye on goalkeepers before with Oekel, Smits and Farago for instance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are plenty of MLS keepers who are clearly below the average level of the league, and of the players around them: you consistently see them sign scrub between the posts, and then teams just work their way around it, or through it, or whatever. 

It seems to be a standard roster sacrifice in North America, and I don't know why, since play is sloppier and looser they actually end up having a lot of work.

I’m not necessarily talking just about keepers. Goal Keeper is an important position. I would have been fine with signing 2 college and PDL standouts at striker too. I have different priorities than lots of people I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I’m not necessarily talking just about keepers. Goal Keeper is an important position. I would have been fine with signing 2 college and PDL standouts at striker too. I have different priorities than lots of people I guess.

You have to mix it up, I think. Experience is important, journeymen can do a lot for a young team. All young guys could be frustrating because you are learning on the job and results may come hard, especially at the start. I don't see why FC Edmonton has to be a development squad as a priority, for me it's always better to put together a roster to win, and then develop as a consequence of that.

The advantage of those two keepers, from what I see, is that they know they are competing, not one is clearly ahead of the other, and they know the coach will change if one does not respond well. So they'll grow together, and beside a top-notch pro with real knowledge. No one doubts that Lars will have a huge impact on the entire team from that post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I’m not necessarily talking just about keepers. Goal Keeper is an important position. I would have been fine with signing 2 college and PDL standouts at striker too. I have different priorities than lots of people I guess.

I think you are right, it is probably a bit of a personal opinion. Personally, I would like more a experienced player in goal (though an experienced centre back could organize and protect an inexperienced keeper). Maybe these guys have shown they are supremely talented though. I don’t claim to know anything about them, nor do I pretend to know more than the coaches at the club. As I’ve said, it’s just my view that this currently appears a bit risky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I think you are right, it is probably a bit of a personal opinion. Personally, I would like more a experienced player in goal (though an experienced centre back could organize and protect an inexperienced keeper). Maybe these guys have shown they are supremely talented though. I don’t claim to know anything about them, nor do I pretend to know more than the coaches at the club. As I’ve said, it’s just my view that this currently appears a bit risky. 

I got to see Powley play for Foothills and I thought he was very good. I thought he was potentially the most pro-quality player on the pitch the day I saw him. 

However, against PDL teams he might look good but then not as much against pro teams. Time will tell, but I found his game to be reasonably impressive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×