4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was very tempted to put Kaye ahead of Piette. Kaye can also play multiple positions. Piette wins out on experience though. 

Larin in for Tabla, eh? Interesting. On one hand, we have wingers already, so we could drop Tabla - but due to our historical lack of creative players, my bias leans towards Ballou :)

Quality depth is intoxicating isn't it? This is what we have been missing for decades and man does it feel good!

If we are setting up our best XI and subs then we should assume we are playing the top 3 in Concacaf...Mexico, USA/Costa Rica. Anything else is pure fantasy. With our present depth it will come down to who is getting minutes with their club; which is how most top teams select their squads. Notwithstanding experience,  some of our senior players like De Jong are sadly not going to be able to keep up with the pace of International soccer. Other than Hutch and Arfield, Eustaquio has played at the highest level of any CM in our squad..top flight Portugal and now Cruz Azul in Liga MX. Just a reminder that Osorio won about every trophy he could given TFC's performance last year including top scorer in CCL. I know that David is looking good and I am a massive fan but I am not sure we can leave out  Osorio. This is going to be a big year for our players. Competition will be fierce....fun times to be a CMNT fan.

Edited by Kadenge

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Godhino does starts often at RB for Hearts, just keep that in mind

Today is his third start out of 7 possible league games for hearts in 2019. 

(his minutes are being managed due to his previous injury).

Edited by BrennanFan

On 2/26/2019 at 8:04 PM, kacbru said:

This. This. This.  

Arfield is arguably our best player at the moment.  There's no scenario where he doesn't start.

+10000000

There is a reason he has already worn the armband for us and it's not just based on skillset.

A few on here criticized his move to a lower league.  I always felt for CMNT it was a great move for us. At Burnley he was not always playing the full 90 and often pushed out wide on the wings.

The reality is, week in and week out, he's asked to play a central midfield role and completely boss the middle of the park.  He will and should be asked to have an almost identical role for the CMNT.    The fact he is playing this role week in and week out is massive for us.

He is having an excellent season and will be one of the best player's for us on the field in countless games over the next few years. How anyone leaves him off our best XI, I simply have no comment.

Edited by apbsmith

This is who I'd select if I were John Herdman, my Best XI and depth chart 

Few things to say:

- Leutwiler beats Thomas as the 3rd choice GK due to being in the English Championship and Simon in the Norwegian 2nd tier, it's a no brainer.

- De Jong (32) Jakovic (33) and Edgar (31) simply do not have what it takes to keep up with the he demands of International Football. They lack pace, level and continuity, I simply don't see them in the future plans

- Levis deserves to be in the contention for Left Back; After Adekugbe who last year player 25+ matches in the Norwegian Top Tier, we will see who plays more this season Brett or Ashtone (Morgan) In the MLS 

- Right now for RB it's hands down Godihno, followed by Cordova who's season in chile has just started and been on the bench thus far. ZBG on loan at Montreal Impact inches him closer if he plays that is, as of right now it's Bacary Sagnas place to lose! Petrasso is unnattached at the moment and just trialed in January with a League one club which ended up not signing. He needs to find a team to even be in the conversation 

- With Hutchinson retiring after the Gold Cup and Eustaquio recently commiting to the NT the timing is perfect as Stephen will only be able to play as early as September as he is recovering from Injury 

- Chapman also another option in CM position

- Ricketts and AJH are in the outside looking in although should they have good seasons they could challenge for a spot on the team, especially Jackson Hamel, since Tosaint is in Lithuania which is one of the lowest ranked European leagues 

- Wotherspoon as the extra player to round up the 30 man roster 

- Raheem Edwards with Chicago Fire and Tesho Akindele with Orlando City should play a key role in their respective clubs and deserve to be considered 100%, if they put up strong numbers for sure is worth taking a look at, so let's not forget about them.

- In addition to the previous point,  Millar now in the Scottish premiership and Tabla in the Spanish segunda Divisíon are getting a taste of first team football, especially for Liam who has just 4 appearances as a pro footballer and all as subs. Ballou in the other hand has experience with the impact in the MLS and last year when Barcelona B were In the segunda. Anyhow they have high potential and the sky is the limit for both extremely talented wingers but are recently in a transition period wi their new loan clubs as opposed to Edwards and Akindele who are older, more experienced, Will be cool to see the battle between mid age and youth!

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

This is who I'd select if I were John Herdman, my Best XI and depth chart 

Few things to say:

- Leutwiler beats Thomas as the 3rd choice GK due to being in the English Championship and Simon in the Norwegian 2nd tier, it's a no brainer.

- De Jong (32) Jakovic (33) and Edgar (31) simply do not have what it takes to keep up with the he demands of International Football. They lack pace, level and continuity, I simply don't see them in the future plans

- Levis deserves to be in the contention for Left Back; After Adekugbe who last year player 25+ matches in the Norwegian Top Tier, we will see who plays more this season Brett or Ashtone (Morgan) In the MLS 

- Right now for RB it's hands down Godihno, followed by Cordova who's season in chile has just started and been on the bench thus far. ZBG on loan at Montreal Impact inches him closer if he plays that is, as of right now it's Bacary Sagnas place to lose! Petrasso is unnattached at the moment and just trialed in January with a League one club which ended up not signing. He needs to find a team to even be in the conversation 

- With Hutchinson retiring after the Gold Cup and Eustaquio recently commiting to the NT the timing is perfect as Stephen will only be able to play as early as September as he is recovering from Injury 

- Chapman also another option in CM position

- Ricketts and AJH are in the outside looking in although should they have good seasons they could challenge for a spot on the team, especially Jackson Hamel, since Tosaint is in Lithuania which is one of the lowest ranked European leagues 

- Wotherspoon as the extra player to round up the 30 man roster 

- Raheem Edwards with Chicago Fire and Tesho Akindele with Orlando City should play a key role in their respective clubs and deserve to be considered 100%, if they put up strong numbers for sure is worth taking a look at, so let's not forget about them.

- In addition to the previous point,  Millar now in the Scottish premiership and Tabla in the Spanish segunda Divisíon are getting a taste of first team football, especially for Liam who has just 4 appearances as a pro footballer and all as subs. Ballou in the other hand has experience with the impact in the MLS and last year when Barcelona B were In the segunda. Anyhow they have high potential and the sky is the limit for both extremely talented wingers but are recently in a transition period wi their new loan clubs as opposed to Edwards and Akindele who are older, more experienced, Will be cool to see the battle between mid age and youth!

image.jpeg

I think you have to find a way to get David on the field, maybe not as a starter but at least as a sub for Junior.

And I disagree about De Jong, he hasn't shown anything that says he definitely a worse option than Adekugbe.

I do agree it's time for Jakovic to move on. Edgar, depending on where he lands, could still be useful.

I would also add Hainault into the mix. Not sure if he makes the 18 but he has to be considered.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think you have to find a way to get David on the field, maybe not as a starter but at least as a sub for Junior.

And I disagree about De Jong, he hasn't shown anything that says he definitely a worse option than Adekugbe.

I do agree it's time for Jakovic to move on. Edgar, depending on where he lands, could still be useful.

I would also add Hainault into the mix. Not sure if he makes the 18 but he has to be considered.

Yeah, I don't think David displaces anyone in that starting line up Yet) but there is no way Edwards or Akindele should be considered above him for a spot on the bench. 

At 33 this year, Hainault hasnt played for the NT for almost 3 years now.... How he is making it into people's starting XI/ 18 is beyond me. 

If he's in I want to see Massih Wassey 😏

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Osorio hasnt great in either of TFCs games yet this year. Hopefully he turns it around, but I would like to see David in his place. A front 5 of Cavallini up top, Davies and Hoilett on the wing. David behind Cav and Arfield as the CM.

Edited by Stryker911

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Osorio hasnt great in either of TFCs games yet this year. Hopefully he turns it around, but I would like to see David in his place. A front 5 of Cavallini up top, Davies and Hoilett on the wing. David behind Cav and Arfield as the CM.

I debated that one as well, but didn't want to rehash the "Oso won everything last year" debate.  I am a fan of his for sure, but there is no denying that David, at a younger age, is really pushing for a starting spot.  As others have noted, it is a nice problem to have. 

13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

At 33 this year, Hainault hasnt played for the NT for almost 3 years now.... How he is making it into people's starting XI/ 18 is beyond me. 

If he's in I want to see Massih Wassey 😏

AH has played 20 of 25 games for his club this season including the last 5 as captain. Considering we have very little depth at the position he has to be considered. Realistically he's what our number 4 or 5 CB? Behind Henry, James, Cornelius and Vitoria? I would put him ahead of Edgar, Straith, Kapor and Didic.

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

David is playing regularly and scoring at arguably the highest level of anyone on the team, he has to start, and the higher up the pitch the better.  Seems a perfect player to compliment Cavallini up top.

I don't see us using two up top because that means we'd need to play with two central midfielders, and we have too many good ones to only use two. If we go with an attacking 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 then he could slot in the hole behind Cavs. Otherwise the front three should be locked in at Cavallini at FW with Hoilett and Davies flanking him. Larin and David would be fighting for that sub appearance.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

It's interesting that everyone's starting XI has only 1 or 2 MLS players and if Tomori or Ferreira join that could fall to Zero...just saying.

Interesting, but not really that surprising.  MLS provides lots of folks with high quality local footy, but most on here aren't under any delusion about where the league sits in relation to others.  It isn't among the top leagues for sure (EPL, la Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A), and it isn't really in what I think of as the 2nd tier (France, Portugal, Mexico, Netherlands, etc.) so it is a fair bit down the pecking order.  Simply playing at that level may have been good enough a few years ago, but we now have a level (and calibre)  of player depth that I have haven't really seen before.  Just getting minutes is no longer sufficient to make the starting 11.  We don't yet have that kind of depth at the back, but in mids and forwards, you had better be playing pretty well in MLS if you want to play for the Nats at this point.  

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

AH has played 20 of 25 games for his club this season including the last 5 as captain. Considering we have very little depth at the position he has to be considered. Realistically he's what our number 4 or 5 CB? Behind Henry, James, Cornelius and Vitoria? I would put him ahead of Edgar, Straith, Kapor and Didic.

Why put him ahead of Straith who is 5 years younger and in his prime. Straith might actually play another full cycle. He's playing in the same league, he's played more minutes this season, he's captained his squad throughout, and he's represented Canada only one less time than Hainault.

24 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Why put him ahead of Straith who is 5 years younger and in his prime. Straith might actually play another full cycle. He's playing in the same league, he's played more minutes this season, he's captained his squad throughout, and he's represented Canada only one less time than Hainault.

Because I don’t rate him as highly. I haven’t seen either play in a while but I’ve always felt Hainault was a better defender, better positionally and better 1v1. Although I would probably put them very close. Age isn’t a factor as I took this to me our best 11 now, not while looking ahead.

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't see either Hainault or Straith being in Herdman's plans, immediate or longer term.

How could they not if we go back to our usual formation with two CBs? We'll be calling 3-4 CBs each camp, 1 or 2 injuries/omissions and they'll have to be considered.