28 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

That ball came 30 yards untouched to his mitten.  That's a penalty. 

That ball came off a deflection from a few yards away he had no chance to react to.  Agree with panel 100%, handballs of deflections at close quarters where arm is as much at side as a lunging defender's can be, should not be rewarded with penalty.  Completely changed the plot of what should have been a fantastic, tense, nail-biting, hard-fought match.

More pissed off about the blatant Griezmann dive being rewarded for a free kick though.

Just now, nolando said:

That was a hell of good tournament; best in my lifetime by a longshot.

I know right👍💯

26 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

That ball came off a deflection from a few yards away he had no chance to react to.  Agree with panel 100%, handballs of deflections at close quarters where arm is as much at side as a lunging defender's can be, should not be rewarded with penalty.  Completely changed the plot of what should have been a fantastic, tense, nail-biting, hard-fought match.

More pissed off about the blatant Griezmann dive being rewarded for a free kick though.

Eh? Greizmann took the corner and Matuidi straight up missed the knock on.  That ball didn't touch anything but air for 30 yards before it hit the defending players arm. 

KJ made the point it only hit his arm because he was surprised Matuidi didn't make contact with the ball, and I think he's probably right in that but that doesn't somehow let the defending player (Perisic I believe) off the hook. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, BearcatSA said:

As in marathon running, you sometimes just hit the wall at a certain point.  Their central midfield key men (Ratkitic and Modric) are on the wrong side of 30 and weren't as dynamic as they had been in previous matches but they and the rest of their teammates used their experience and superior technique to take over the match from a side that couldn't string together any kind of consistent possession when it mattered most.  The next opponent is a totally different proposition, combining strong technical and tactical skill with speed and younger legs.

This *sshat clearly doesn't know what he's talking out!!!

I thought Croatia was fantastic today.  They were superb.  Very disappointed at the outcome.  But all matches hinge on key moments, controversial or otherwise.  And that's that. 

37 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Eh? Greizmann took the corner and Matuidi straight up missed the knock on.  That ball didn't touch anything but air for 30 yards before it hit the defending players arm. 

KJ made the point it only hit his arm because he was surprised Matuidi didn't make contact with the ball, and I think he's probably right in that but that doesn't somehow let the defending player (Perisic I believe) off the hook. 

To me there's an angle from behind goal I've watched repeatedly that looks like it took a nick off Matuidi's head (hair) and dips.  I may be wrong.  Either way defender has no time to react and it's a call I think it would be better not to make in soccer.  Completely changes the game and plays to France script of sitting back and counterrattacking.

I just don't know how you can penalize the defender for anything he did on that play.  In real time at game speed there is no way he could possibly have intent there.  Arms not outstretched.  

Just bad for the sport IMO.  This could have been a classic match and in the end was kind of a 'meh' final for me.  

France were the hunters and now come 2022 in the next 4 years they will be the hunted as everyone will be looking to dethrone them!!! 

Now that the 2018 FIFA World Cup is over and 2022 in Qatar will be upon us in the next 4 years will Canada be there? Will Canada qualify for Qatar? It remains to be seen 

7 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Taking nothing away from France.  They did what they had to do, and what they depended on all tournament: mostly solid defending and a few moments of brilliance with a pinch of luck (and a crafty dive) thrown in.

Yeah but for the most part no team could find any answers for them though. France pretty much went undefeated the whole tournament not even losing a game.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

What?  Not Japan-Korea?

I've always hated the eurosnob-conspiracy element attached to '02. Plus the sheer number of top class goals and saves in this current version edge it over the line quite comfortably for me.

13 minutes ago, nolando said:

I've always hated the eurosnob-conspiracy element attached to '02. Plus the sheer number of top class goals and saves in this current version edge it over the line quite comfortably for me.

That was sarcasm. 

Would have to give it a good long think to come up with a more entertaining tournie.  Some really smart goals and memorable performances from a lot of teams.  Both teams in the finals today for example, not to mention (for a variety of reasons) some other teams who didn't go nearly as far, Japan, Germany, Russia, England. Spain, Belgium.  Ronaldo showing brilliance and then sort of shitting the bed against Uruguay.  To much to mention but all in all really great fun.

And look at today.  What did they say on the tele?  1st teenager to score in a final since Pele, what almost 50 years ago.  1st final to see goals scored from outside the penalty area.  1st (and hopefully last) VAR penalty awarded in a final.  Youngest WCF team ever wins the whole damned thing AND if a month ago you'd said they were going to and they'd do it without Giroud scoring a single goal your bartender would have cut you off.  A-gin, great fun.    

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

To me there's an angle from behind goal I've watched repeatedly that looks like it took a nick off Matuidi's head (hair) and dips.  I may be wrong.  Either way defender has no time to react and it's a call I think it would be better not to make in soccer.  Completely changes the game and plays to France script of sitting back and counterrattacking.

I just don't know how you can penalize the defender for anything he did on that play.  In real time at game speed there is no way he could possibly have intent there.  Arms not outstretched.  

Just bad for the sport IMO.  This could have been a classic match and in the end was kind of a 'meh' final for me.  

I was going for Croatia, but that has to be called. A hand that blocks a ball from coming into the box, with no deflection, that is a penalty. His hand potentially stops the ball from being struck by an attacker in front of the goal. 

I was watching in a pub in Vancouver and said that for sure the ref would call it when he was looking at VAR. I think he had no other choice and made the right decision.

Apart from that, look carefully how most of France defended in their box, hands behind their backs, very disciplined.

Posted (edited)

The Argentinian old man referee gifts two goals to France.  A game refereed by TV not from the pitch.  How silly soccer has become. 

Edited by The Ref
typo

6 hours ago, The Ref said:

The Argentinian old maan referee gifts two goals to France.  A game refereed by TV not from the pitch.  How silly soccer has become. 

"Get off my lawn you hippy!"

*the ref waives his cane in the air*