Sign in to follow this  
Rheo

Calgary launch/2019 offseason thread

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Red and White said:

Nice touch that they just went with 'Cavalry FC'. It's the Twitter handle and the name on the crest. It's bold leaving the city name out in North American sports, but they have lots tying them to Calgary and I like the unique concept they're bringing.

Avoiding the names of metro areas is something I really hope is intentional and that it speaks to their ambition to expand.  Calling the first two clubs York 9 and Cavalry opens the door to multiple GTA clubs and multiple Calgary clubs in the future.  I am curious to see if this will continue with the other announcements.

(Edit:  meaning that the league (and hopefully both we and the media also) call the teams Cavalry FC and not Calgary Cavalry; Wanderers and not Halifax Wanderers.  It is a mindshift from most NA sports -- clubs not cities)  In part that's why I like Cavalry FC even though I hate "Calgary Cavalry" which is admittedly an awkward mouthful.  I suspect Cavalry was never meant to be paired with "Calgary", but it does invoke it quite effectively)

Edited by shorty

Love the crest.  Very simple yet slick.  Along with York 9, I like the original names we are hearing. Far better than the faux sounding bullshit of something like Real Thunder Bay or the corporate shilling of the Windsor Pepsis.  

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Stadium renders

cfc1.jpg

cfc2.jpg

Not so sure about the stands set way back from the field on the one side...I hope that is just an error in the photo and not how they plan it....otherwise, a cool venue

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Love the crest.  Very simple yet slick.  Along with York 9, I like the original names we are hearing. Far better than the faux sounding bullshit of something like Real Thunder Bay or the corporate shilling of the Windsor Pepsis.  

Do not bring down the good name of Windsor with your hypothetical teams. Also please ignore Windsor TFC :)

17 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not so sure about the stands set way back from the field on the one side...I hope that is just an error in the photo and not how they plan it....otherwise, a cool venue

Yeah what is that lol. Those seats could have obstructed views of the bottom net 

Posted (edited)

Looks like it’s that way because the stand further back is already there and presumably attached to concessions. 

Besides that it has a very league two feel to it I like it. 

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Yeah what is that lol. Those seats could have obstructed views of the bottom net 

The way its draw some of the stands far back will have a great view of the back of the stands closer to the field (and the back of the heads of the spectators sitting in that closer section) but not of the one of the goals. But I imagine that they will make sure to not actually do that, despite what the renderings suggest.

I don’t mind the name Cavalry for a soccer team, but I still don’t like it for a team from Calgary. Purely for tongue twister reasons.

By the way, has anyone seen TV coverage? I just saw it mentioned in the headline ticker on CP24 (Toronto).

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I really like the minimalism. I think I'll have to walk back my criticism of Cavalry FC too, I'm on board with it

Still not really high on the name, but loving the "ol'skool" minimal crest though.

They look like beautiful grounds. It has the potential to be a very cool match day experience. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

16 hours ago, Rheo said:

The video 

Are they not aware that the Boer War was one of the most disgraceful, ruthless, colonial aberrations in the recent history of the British Empire? I am shocked they could be so naive to think that was something admirable. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are they not aware that the Boer War was one of the most disgraceful, ruthless, colonial aberrations in the recent history of the British Empire? I am shocked they could be so naive to think that was something admirable. 

Don't know, you'd have to ask them.  I just collect links and share with people...

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Don't know, you'd have to ask them.  I just collect links and share with people...

Just because I am keen about a league I am not going to say I like what a team is trying to represent. Especially when they are so dumb about it (the video has Schaad sitting in an office in Vancouver, for lord's sake). That does not mean I am against Calgarians having a team and it going well, all power to them.

Look, it is not a question of being politically correct, but not being totally naive. I can admire what Canada did in WW1, WW2, I have family who were veterans and friends who lost uncles, my mother was in London during the Blitz and was shipped out. I have some sense of when a military option against a greater evil might be justified, however well handled or not (thinking of how Canadians were treated as cannon fodder with certain frequency).

But I am not going to call our assistance to GB in what I suppose was the second Boer War as something unquestionable, the world press was in fact appalled by what the British did in S Africa, quite beyond any question about the Boers, and I am no expert. But it was ignomious what happened, and I don't think they even need to reference it so childishly and innocently just to connect with horses and that crest. If you don't know what the hell you are talking about, and if the reference is not neutral, just shut up about it. 

Apart from the fact that I am totally against the general militarization of sporting events in the US, all this ROTC atmosphere is pernicious. I would like to see MLS demilitarized, which does not mean you cannot honour a veteran like you might honour a youth organization or an association of elderly volunteering.

It would be like presentin team in Sask with motifs building a positive military narrative around repressing Riel or the Cree. In fact, the repression of the Metis was in many ways a rehearsal for what Canadians took to the Boer Wars, with the NW Mounted Police, and the mentality of repression and concentration camps in S Africa and the ruthless tactics were derived from the same school. The large contingent of foreign volunteers also indicates that people from many nations, including the Commonwealth, viewed the war as a just fight against colonialism. While not as ideological as the volunteering for the Spanish Civil War, it has some resemblances.

This just makes it all the easier for me to have Cavalry FC as a rival, and reminds me of a point that is being discussed here: regional rivalries are not always the most important ones. In relation to Vancouver, Victoria is not a rival, there is no bad blood at all. But with Alberta teams there could be, though obviously not for the reasons I am exposing here.

Edit: since some people will take exception to this complaint of mine: comparing the values of people coming together to help each other during a flood a few years ago with a cruel and vicious colonial war from another era is incredibly ignorant, it is forced, lacks credibility, ignores more recent and better examples related to our armed forces, and shows someone is improvising and is living in a bubble. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Gotta be honest, not a fan of the stadium layout...at all

You can't take a main stand and set it back like that. Really, I think some of these renders is asking an amateur to stick some things that look like stands onto a patch of green, I'd say the same about Westhills in Langford, also atrocious renders that show that the proper idea of fan experience is not being translated into the hack ways of mocking them up graphically.