Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rheo

Calgary launch/2019 offseason thread

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

$5 GA sounds about right.

$5? If a third of their stadium was $5 general admission they would only bring in about $125,000 from those sections in a season, while simultaneously devaluing the rest of their seats. Not really sustainable for a pro club

I don't think season tickets for a soccer team represent an elastic market. Everyone simply just has a threshold at which point season seats become unattainable. Lowering to that point would probably not even draw many more people in

Edited by Complete Homer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

 

 

 

“For me, I want to get back into the national team. I’ve been out of it for a year and been itching to get back involved with it. With the CPL coming around, I’m here to prove myself again. I have things to prove like anybody else. I want to get back into the fold and prove to John [Herdman] that I deserve a chance, but I also want to prove to myself that I gave many good years to go,” Ledgerwood offered

Love his countless years of service to the program, but i cant help but think he's done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

 

 

Love his countless years of service to the program, but i cant help but think he's done. 

Agreed but it’s great to have it’s hungry for call ups in the league.  He could easily treat this as a retirement coach/player project but it says a lot that he wants to push up a level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

In all honesty, having someone who's best quality is shots from outside the box wouldn't be all that bad (bekker). Long range danger could have opened up a bit more space in the last couple games.

Bekker has always had a sweet left foot. It was the athletic part of the game that seemed a bit much for him in MLS. I saw improvement in that over the years though, and he really seems like he's been improving lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I would be surprised if Herdman doesn't make a token CPL callup for the next camp. Someone like Ledgerwood or Bekker if for no other reason to keep the interest going.

I'll hope we'll have a genuine surprise that time and can call a new talent from the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BradMack said:

Bekker has always had a sweet left foot. It was the athletic part of the game that seemed a bit much for him in MLS. I saw improvement in that over the years though, and he really seems like he's been improving lately. 

One thing that is driving me insane is that no one is giving Bekker credit for his LEFT. They are saying he is a left footed player when he’s actually right footed.  I think most people just assume he is left after seeing him strike the ball as NO North American players are that confident with their weak foot.  I even messaged the Forge account saying they should mention the strike they posted is actually with his weak left, which makes the goal a 9 instead of a 7 to a proper fan but they ignored me.  Now I see articles saying he’s a left footed player.. I guess he just takes set pieces with his right lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 3:49 PM, BradMack said:

Bekker has always had a sweet left foot. It was the athletic part of the game that seemed a bit much for him in MLS. I saw improvement in that over the years though, and he really seems like he's been improving lately. 

He had a solid year in NASL 2017 with the San Francisco Deltas Soccer Bowl winning club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

 

 

Love his countless years of service to the program, but i cant help but think he's done. 

Please no if the Canadian national team has to go back to guys like Ledgewood again then they are going backwards. Yes he was always available and ready to play for the national team but it’s time we can also have players who are committed but also have a lot of talent to go with that commitment and it’s only then when we have players with talent and commitment will Canada finally start getting results that will take them to the the World Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Keegan said:

One thing that is driving me insane is that no one is giving Bekker credit for his LEFT. They are saying he is a left footed player when he’s actually right footed.  I think most people just assume he is left after seeing him strike the ball as NO North American players are that confident with their weak foot.  I even messaged the Forge account saying they should mention the strike they posted is actually with his weak left, which makes the goal a 9 instead of a 7 to a proper fan but they ignored me.  Now I see articles saying he’s a left footed player.. I guess he just takes set pieces with his right lol.

Thanks for this. I was sure he was right footed then I kept reading about his left and wondered if I had forgotten which was his dominant foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

So, article in Western Wheel about Spruce Meadows says they want to eventually build a bigger stadium in the All Canada ring. They also want to build a fieldhouse. Nice.

https://www.westernwheel.com/article/looking-to-grow-beyond-the-horse-20181205

It really is quite a unique identity, and way of starting a club. It'll be interesting to watch how the plans develop. It sounds like they're hoping for the soccer side of their operations to make them money. Maybe they should have talked to the Faths about that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrossCheck said:

So, article in Western Wheel about Spruce Meadows says they want to eventually build a bigger stadium in the All Canada ring. They also want to build a fieldhouse. Nice.

https://www.westernwheel.com/article/looking-to-grow-beyond-the-horse-20181205

“At its very heart is the horse, and it will always remain that way,” said Beunder. “But in order to keep the facility operating in the long-term and generate different sources of revenue to help pay the bills at that facility, other sports and activities are being introduced.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also quite relieved to see that they do recognize that the provisional set-up can only be that, nothing more. Even though I think they will find, very soon, that they have to move those stands closer.

These are people who are used to watching horses jump over fences through a pane of glass while sipping on Red Leg spiced rum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also quite relieved to see that they do recognize that the provisional set-up can only be that, nothing more. Even though I think they will find, very soon, that they have to move those stands closer.

These are people who are used to watching horses jump over fences through a pane of glass while sipping on Red Leg spiced rum.

As much as people want to make fun of the ownership and the corporate horse jumping crowd, they are completely funding a soccer stadium on their own and paying for it without public money.  Maybe York9 will a few years, but no one else is investing that type of money into a soccer setup right now.  If they want to charge $700 a ticket to watch it in the congress hall, have some nice canapes and pay for a new stadium, while I get supporters seats for less than $20/game on the touchline right next to the player entrances, have at it.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HaliCanuck said:

As much as people want to make fun of the ownership and the corporate horse jumping crowd, they are completely funding a soccer stadium on their own and paying for it without public money...

Having a plan to do something in future isn't quite the same thing as actually committing to do it. Another way of reading this information is that they see soccer as a way to bolster their core horse related operations, so a lot will probably depend on how many people actually get out and pay to watch the Cavalry this summer. Ditto with the future stadium plans In York Region and Halifax (the pop-up is initially only for three years). In each case things could easily wind up like they did with Edmonton where there has been talk of a new SSS being built if FCE can consistently fill Clarke Stadium for their games but an inability to put the crowds together to justify the expense involved in building something bigger and better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×