Sign in to follow this  
Rheo

Calgary FC launch/2019 offseason thread

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Not intending to argue technicalities, but wouldn't it be the partial pressure of oxygen that decreases, not the percent of air that's composed of oxygen?

Hmm. Maybe it is. Or perhaps it’s both. In mountaineering literature that I’ve read % of ‘effective oxygen’ was often the description. But if the mix is homogenous, then you are likely right. 

Edit: Sorry that sounds awkward. If the mix of atmospheric gasses is homogenous with respect to the oxygen component regardless of elevation ... etc etc. 

Despite that, the more I think about it the more I think you’re right. It is simply about density of air reducing as one ascends and thereby reduces the amount of oxygen available despite oxygen comprising the same or similar percentage of air. 

Edited by rob.notenboom

12 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

It’s only a little over 1000 meters above sea level. As far as I know and from what I’ve read, there might be an effect but it’s negligable. 

Having scaled several dozen mountains in the Canadian Rockies I haven’t noticed much of an effect even up to and above 3000m. But I’m a bit of an outlier in that sense. I’ve been with others who have felt the lower oxygen levels, but only one terribly acutely and then we were above 9000ft for over 24hrs. 

Having said all of that, from Sea Level to 1000m there is a drop of atmospheric oxygen percentage from 20.9% to around 18.5%, so that is not nothing. It may have somewhat of an effect in both directions. 

Makes me want to go back and climb some mountains. 😁

I've been up to 5,650m or so, and reached 4,600m on another hike.  For both of those I did a ton of high altitude sickness research, so if anyone cares I will chime in here with what (I think) I know.

For most people high altitude effects start kicking in (i.e. something you can feel) at around 2,500m - 3,000m, but after you pass 2,000m or so the oxygen in your blood will start dropping.  This affects people differently, which is why high altitude hiking can be dangerous..  Personally I start getting a bit lightheaded at 2,700m or so, but even at 2,200m I will notice that walking around is harder, but not by much. At 1,000m most people shouldn't notice much of a difference at all, although over 90 minutes of high physical exertion it could play a small factor (in making players tired quicker).  In theory a team that has trained at that altitude playing one that trained at sea level will have a small advantage, given what we know about acclimatization.  It shouldn't play a big part at only 1,000m though, and maybe only an insignificant part

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...hopefully not the French dude from the Santos youth team.

They have a picture from behind and it’s pretty clear it’s not him.  

22 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Cavalry teasing a Brazilian signing for tomorrow 

Possibly Thiago Freitas, the journeyman you played a bit with FC Edmonton a while back and apparently wanted to sign with a CPL team.

Plenty of Brazilian soccer players around though, so who knows.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

They have a picture from behind and it’s pretty clear it’s not him.  

You can actually tell from the pony tail?

edit: I am so thankful to have this team in CPL.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You can actually tell from the pony tail?

edit: I am so thankful to have this team in CPL.

This guy isn’t as dark and obviously Brazilian as well. 

Why so thankful for this team?  I think they could use an exciting Canadian signing like Elva or Issey.  

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Thank you sir!

Whatever the league's marketing is, it is working. Article in the Toronto Star: 

WTF, I don’t think I heard about that attack in an airplane before!

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

WTF, I don’t think I heard about that attack in an airplane before!

The guy was having a mental breakdown and thought the Ottawa players were secret agents out to get him iirc they were in black tracksuits or something. 

Bottom left is Mason Trafford.  I’ve never really seen him but at any and every club he’s been at he’s been well liked.  Probably deserving of more than one Canada cap when you look at his career.  

Crazy to think he was on the whitecaps all those years ago and yet still just 32 - probably 2-3 seasons left in him.