BenFisk'sBiggestFan

Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

Posted (edited)

What an absolute joke of a red/pk. Completely changed the game and was anything but conclusive. If you can’t even get the call right on replay what’s the use??? He didn’t look and it wasn’t an unnatural movement and it wasn’t called = no call. Crazy.

and even if you do call that as a foul and pk.. red? That’s absurd.  Yellow and pk would have been very harsh.

Edited by Keegan

19 minutes ago, Keegan said:

What an absolute joke of a red/pk. Completely changed the game and was anything but conclusive. If you can’t even get the call right on replay what’s the use??? He didn’t look and it wasn’t an unnatural movement and it wasn’t called = no call. Crazy.

and even if you do call that as a foul and pk.. red? That’s absurd.  Yellow and pk would have been very harsh.

Waston is looking at the ball to make the play, following it all the way; the Atl player barges into him from behind on the wrong side of the ball. The Tico puts his arm out and the attacker drops. He makes the exact opposite call, it should have been a foul in our favour. Disgusting MLS reffing. 

Posted (edited)

It kind of makes you question the benefit of instant replay. If a ref is gonna stand there making a call while 70k scream what is going to stop them from being biased? Send the call to New York (Toronto) like they do in the nhl 

I’m not even a caps fan but i was looking forward to this match and it was completely ruined 10 minutes in because of a garbage call. The ref was 5 feet from the ball and made no call so wtf did looking at it do other than give the crowd a chance to make him second guess it. The whole time I’m thinking ahhh no it’s not a pk but the more time went by I’m thinking this isn’t good he’s gonna pull something.

Edited by Keegan

Echoing the world's thoughts. What is the actual point of VAR if the red can't even make the right decision with it. 

Clear foul on waston. Even if he deems it an elbow and a red it still should have been a free-kick to the whitecaps. 

Also maunds own goal only happens because he has to play the ball to stop the Atlanta player who is far offside getting the ball. Surprised the whitecaps didn't appeal that. If maund leaves it then it would have been offside. It's instinctual though. Disappointing non call. 

This has already been said, but I am still marvelling at how Davies seems to blow by people at will. He had two or three such runs in the game tonight where he left 3 or 4 players in the dust. And he looks fully in control as he does so. Remarkable.  He still has a lot to learn about the game, but I am happy to see plenty of evidence that he IS actually learning. I think of Manneh, who has some attributes similar to Davies', and I think that Davies at 17 is already ahead of Kekuta in most areas of the game. The only piece that I feel that Manneh has over Davies is his shot, and maybe a bit more of a killer instinct around goal.  But Davies just has to work on his finishing, that's all.

Crazy thing is that the young man is only going to get better--and faster! He seems even faster than he was last year. Nuts!

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

This has already been said, but I am still marvelling at how Davies seems to blow by people at will. He had two or three such runs in the game tonight where he left 3 or 4 players in the dust. And he looks fully in control as he does so. Remarkable.  He still has a lot to learn about the game, but I am happy to see plenty of evidence that he IS actually learning. 

Which offensive aspect(s) of his game do you feel Davies has improved?

10 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Which offensive aspect(s) of his game do you feel Davies has improved?

1. Even better on the close dribble 2. Blowing past defenenders with greater ease and control AND making better decisions about when to skin a defender and when to lay off the ball 3. Improved crossing 4. Improved vision and passing 

To be clear, he is not nearly the finished product, but the growth is evident. And his defending has improved significantly too. 

But you're a clever fella: I am sure you see all of this, right? 😉

On 18/03/2018 at 1:47 AM, BearcatSA said:

Enjoy Davies while he is here. 

From what I have seen, this guy will be gone sooner than later, what a joy to watch!

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎18 at 5:48 PM, Free kick said:

That was an horrendous game changing decision from the ref after reviewing the VAR.    I didnt even see a foul by Waston, nevermind a red and PK.  

So damned frustrating. As a few people have posted here in the past--and on MLSS.com--this shite officiating makes the MLS look like an amateur league. They need to do better.

5 hours ago, The Beaver said:

So damned frustrating. As a few people have posted here in the past--and on MLSS.com--this shite officiating makes the MLS look like an amateur league. They need to do better.

Have to say, looking at MLS site and articles here and there, there is widespread belief that the call was iffy, regardless of Waston being overzealous at times. So I feel a bit better knowing that other fans and media across the league were shocked by the call.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 5:53 AM, mtlfan said:

From what I have seen, this guy will be gone sooner than later, what a joy to watch!

Just watched the highlights of Davies skinning multiple full grown adults, multiple times, and I had to remind myself he is only 17. Check out the Caps' home page.

Whitecaps looked like they were in Seattle playoff form tonight; inability to create chances from the run of play on a consistent basis, over-reliance on set-pieces and wide service, and an awful Brek Shea cameo!

53 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Whitecaps looked like they were in Seattle playoff form tonight; inability to create chances from the run of play on a consistent basis, over-reliance on set-pieces and wide service, and an awful Brek Shea cameo!

Yeah, they had a lot of possession but created almost nothing all game, at least nothing by way of a bonafide goal scoring opportunity. Some nice moments, but I worry about their ability to create from run-of-play, as you noted.  We need Reyna to link up better with Kamara, but that is not really happening, and likely will not with a target-player like Kamara. I wonder if Blondell and Reyna will create a more effective partnership.

Posted (edited)

We clearly need Reyna's hair back. The Sampson effect isn't going good. 

They set up to frustrate and a draw was a fair results. We just couldn't carve out the chances. 

Edited by toontownman
stupid phone auto-correct.

I thought we were fine, we had possession, controlled their possible counters, except for maybe one, if we had scored we were in position to keep the match under control. Just missing the finishing. 

I like the way we have done away with a DM in favour of Felipe, who receives from the backs and turns easily. He was supported by Juarez, another good player with the ball at his feet, and to a lesser degree, Reina. This is a better combo, IMO. We were just missing the link player with Kamara, which is what you lose when you have two wide attacking players.

There were little details I saw as positive, regardless of LA being a weak version of its already weak self. The keeper is able to play out, and has the confidence to do it, while Ousted did not. Also, we were more entertaining than normal, IMO, we had more drive to score and were tight at the back.

I was  mostly ok with how we played through the game we should've definitely won or have at least scored but we  seemed lacking at times. The one thing that really annoyed me about this game was Davies being put at left back. He played decent there because of his speed but it completely took him out of the offense where he is often very good because of his ability to counter at speed and good feet. I really hope this does not become a constant thing where at about 2/3 to 3/4 into the game he get's put back there because it completely kills a huge part of our offence.

Curious to get some inside information from Caps fans on the whole Whitecaps II vs Fresno deal.  Noticing the lack of playing time so far for Campbell, Baldisimo, and Melvin - were those guys pretty highly rated prospects, ie the top end of Whitecaps II last year?  Just wondering about their potential and how much it might be stalled by the current situation.  And did the Whitecaps lose any blue chip prospects in your opinion by dissolving Whitecaps II?  Anyone who disappeared you were particularly high on?

Posted (edited)

Kadin Chung preferred to head to Europe to trial. He was highly rated and the club want/wanted to keep him. He signed for FC Kaiserslautern II in early Feb. Haven't seen an update on how things are going for him (edit three sub appearances and a total of 89 minutes of play according to transfermarkt and coincidently all at RW not his natural RB position). There haven't really been too many lost that would have broken into the VWC first team.

I am sure the Fresno loanies will get there chance. There is obviously a big change in control and benefit in regards to playing time. On the flipside they are potentially playing with better players and having to work hard to earn minutes rather than just being guaranteed them. 

Obviously i think everyone, barring the whitecaps bookmakers would prefer VCWII to be still in operation and I think if the CPL wasn't on the horizon maybe a move to somewhere like Calgary could have been a possibility.

It's the best of a bad situation right now and I am sure there is some type of agreement on minutes they have to play. If that us the case it makes sense for Fresno to bed them in and use them later rather than sooner, as they grow.

Edited by toontownman
Update on Kadin Chung