Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

20 year old defender with Hearts in the Scottish Premier League.  Former TFC II member with appearances for Canada for both u18s and u20s.  

Spent 13 2017/2018 games on loan with Berwick Rangers (the Wee Gers) in the Scottish Second Division.  Not a very high level which explains why he's been overlooked.  Hearts obviously rates him as they recalled him in February, signed him to a two-year extension, and started giving him bench appearances.

Started his first game today in the Scottish League Cup at right back.  Early still but a great sign that he is one to watch.  Could be valuable depth with potential to compete for starting spot if he continues his upward trajectory.  Possible March callup?

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gator said:

He actually played Right Back today, from all accounts had a real good 2nd half, Hearts fans say he was one of very few positives in a 2-1 Cup loss to Motherwell!

Thanks gator, thought I read somewhere he had played left back.  Fixed it in original post, I guess right back is an even more a position of need for us than left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Thanks gator, thought I read somewhere he had played left back.  Fixed it in original post, I guess right back is an even more a position of need for us than left.

I posted that he was going to start at Left Back, that was just speculation from posters on a Hearts forum when they read the starting 11, seems he is versatile, that's a good thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Godinho is a winger who can cut inside to support the strikers.  

And Gator, stay away from Hearts Kickback, some of those folks make even the craziest Voyageur sound perfectly sane.  Ha Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearts have a much better team than a couple seasons ago.. internationals from Cameroon, Angola, Scotland and N Ireland plus some good young players on loan.  Props to Marcus for winning a spot that can’t be easy for an uncapped Canadian as they’ve gotta be easy to write off.

interesting that semi Canuck Michael Smith is starting too and he’s also a right back.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Godinho starting in the Edinburgh Derby

IMG_20180309_143235.jpg

Let's call him in for the next friendly, especially given our dire circumstance atm in defence.. I'm aware he can also play as a centre back and FB... Herdmann better be aware, lmfao and is young with a big future ahead of him, lmfao... If he keeps at it at this rate based on other comments/reviews I have been hearing, he could be our defender for the future!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else ever get a bit depressed when you realize we ask for guys to be called up to our national team because their coach wrote his name on a piece of paper? I can’t wait until it exclusively takes good performances to get people asking for call ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kent said:

Does anyone else ever get a bit depressed when you realize we ask for guys to be called up to our national team because their coach wrote his name on a piece of paper? I can’t wait until it exclusively takes good performances to get people asking for call ups.

Very dismissive, I guess winning a spot in the scottish prem league doesnt count for anything. He has played for Hearts this year, played for our U-20, Scottish league 2 and he is a defender..we all know how thin we are when it comes to the back line.  Why not give him a call to a mostly exclusively europe camp?  Look at Stephen Eustaqio, we didnt call him when he was in Port-3, then 2 now in Primera Liga and now we are all shitting ourselves that he might get away.  Who is Herdman going to call? Vitoria, Straith, James.....maybe Kapor or Gasporatto??  If we can call guys from USL and they do ok in the full camps, why cant we call Godinho to an all europe camp?  Nobody is saying give him a start, but get him in camp and see how he makes out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Very dismissive, I guess winning a spot in the scottish prem league doesnt count for anything. He has played for Hearts this year, played for our U-20, Scottish league 2 and he is a defender..we all know how thin we are when it comes to the back line.  Why not give him a call to a mostly exclusively europe camp?  Look at Stephen Eustaqio, we didnt call him when he was in Port-3, then 2 now in Primera Liga and now we are all shitting ourselves that he might get away.  Who is Herdman going to call? Vitoria, Straith, James.....maybe Kapor or Gasporatto??  If we can call guys from USL and they do ok in the full camps, why cant we call Godinho to an all europe camp?  Nobody is saying give him a start, but get him in camp and see how he makes out.  

Absofuckinglutely!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Very dismissive, I guess winning a spot in the scottish prem league doesnt count for anything. He has played for Hearts this year, played for our U-20, Scottish league 2 and he is a defender..we all know how thin we are when it comes to the back line.  Why not give him a call to a mostly exclusively europe camp?  Look at Stephen Eustaqio, we didnt call him when he was in Port-3, then 2 now in Primera Liga and now we are all shitting ourselves that he might get away.  Who is Herdman going to call? Vitoria, Straith, James.....maybe Kapor or Gasporatto??  If we can call guys from USL and they do ok in the full camps, why cant we call Godinho to an all europe camp?  Nobody is saying give him a start, but get him in camp and see how he makes out.  

Exactly!!!... Well said @Bison44... Since you mention Eustaquío, I think he should be another one to give him a call in just over 2 wkks... U think it's likely? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Very dismissive, I guess winning a spot in the scottish prem league doesnt count for anything.

Your defense of Godinho makes sense Bison but I don't think Kent meant to slag Godinho or say he shouldn't be called.  He is wishing we had a team at a higher level that was harder to break into.  He is hoping for a day when unless you've put in multiple seasons as a starter at a high level you are barely on the radar.

You are right Bison, we're not there yet, and we have to take our excitement where we can get it.  Hence jumping up and down for two starts, and rightfully so!  I'm as hopeful for Marcus's career as you are.

But I'm with Kent in that some day I aspire to Canada having the quality and depth that something like this isn't big news.  That the only way to get a cap in a meaningful game is to not just be a starter but to be a star in solid leagues.  When Hutch and Arfield and Hoilett are the rule and not the exception.

I think they made a mistake but Arfield is only with us because Scotland never called him.  That is the level of their quality and depth - that even a Premier League player is not guaranteed a call.  Godinho would be miles from a Scotland call.  Might not even make their u23.  I think in 10 or 15 years we can be better and deeper than Scotland.  And I'm looking forward to arguments like "That guy who's been a decent starter for five years in the Scottish Premier League, do you really think he's good enough for the Canadian National Team?"

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Very dismissive, I guess winning a spot in the scottish prem league doesnt count for anything. He has played for Hearts this year, played for our U-20, Scottish league 2 and he is a defender..we all know how thin we are when it comes to the back line.  Why not give him a call to a mostly exclusively europe camp?  Look at Stephen Eustaqio, we didnt call him when he was in Port-3, then 2 now in Primera Liga and now we are all shitting ourselves that he might get away.  

I agree I would like to see Marcus called in if there are no MLS players vs New Zealand.  But for the sake of accuracy: playing in Scottish League 2 as he was in 2017 is a pretty low level.  Fourth tier Scotland, arguably below USL.  

When it comes to Eustaquio, we have no way of knowing if he's been called before or not.  The player lists we see are the ones who accepted calls.  He may have been called for the Jamaica game, who knows?  

I hope Herdman contacts both Tabla and Eustaquio and makes a strong case.  But calling them or not calling them is irrelevant.  Even if he does call them and they refuse we will never know.  The point is to build a solid relationship with them and put an impressive product on the field.  That way maybe at some point they commit.  But my sense with both is they would never have gotten themselves captied to Canada at a young age, no matter how many times they were called.  They have other aspirations.  And at least one has a mentor whose initials are DD.  

I would love to be proven wrong.  Eustaquio I have more hope for.  If Tabla continues to get looks with the senior Barcelona squad I don't have much hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Even if he does call them and they refuse we will never know.

This kind of stuff always seems to leak out. On purpose likely. I would be shocked if it didn't happen in tablas case. Being Herdmans first camp and the scrutiny on him in some quarters the CSA will want him to be viewed in a positive light. So if a call is turned down it should be outed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Your defense of Godinho makes sense Bison but I don't think Kent meant to slag Godinho or say he shouldn't be called.  He is wishing we had a team at a higher level that was harder to break into.  He is hoping for a day when unless you've put in multiple seasons as a starter at a high level you are barely on the radar.

You are right Bison, we're not there yet, and we have to take our excitement where we can get it.  Hence jumping up and down for two starts, and rightfully so!  I'm as hopeful for Marcus's career as you are.

But I'm with Kent in that some day I aspire to Canada having the quality and depth that something like this isn't big news.  That the only way to get a cap in a meaningful game is to not just be a starter but to be a star in solid leagues.  When Hutch and Arfield and Hoilett are the rule and not the exception.

I think they made a mistake but Arfield is only with us because Scotland never called him.  That is the level of their quality and depth - that even a Premier League player is not guaranteed a call.  Godinho would be miles from a Scotland call.  Might not even make their u23.  I think in 10 or 15 years we can be better and deeper than Scotland.  And I'm looking forward to arguments like "That guy who's been a decent starter for five years in the Scottish Premier League, do you really think he's good enough for the Canadian National Team?"

Godinho eligible for Scotland?.... I thought he would be eligible for Portugal too, but very unlikely he gets call up by them..Also we are starting to see a trend of players starting and doing well in their respective leagues and don't see why this will stop, it will just become the norm imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I agree I would like to see Marcus called in if there are no MLS players vs New Zealand.  But for the sake of accuracy: playing in Scottish League 2 as he was in 2017 is a pretty low level.  Fourth tier Scotland, arguably below USL.  

When it comes to Eustaquio, we have no way of knowing if he's been called before or not.  The player lists we see are the ones who accepted calls.  He may have been called for the Jamaica game, who knows?  

I hope Herdman contacts both Tabla and Eustaquio and makes a strong case.  But calling them or not calling them is irrelevant.  Even if he does call them and they refuse we will never know.  The point is to build a solid relationship with them and put an impressive product on the field.  That way maybe at some point they commit.  But my sense with both is they would never have gotten themselves captied to Canada at a young age, no matter how many times they were called.  They have other aspirations.  And at least one has a mentor whose initials are DD.  

I would love to be proven wrong.  Eustaquio I have more hope for.  If Tabla continues to get looks with the senior Barcelona squad I don't have much hope.

Def something for Herdman to work and build rapport with those fellas!!!! .... I do think one at least will wind up with us, it'd be massive if it is as early as in 2 weeks, lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, shamrock said:

It shouldn't be enough to play professionally for a call-up. Unfortunately, that's the situation Canada is in right now. It should only be the decisive players of good teams in good leagues that are currently in form, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

Disagree, there are signs of that changing (witness MLS opening week, Cavallini down at Liga MX as examples and some good talent there without a doubt) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Godinho eligible for Scotland?

No, not eligible for Scotland.  Point is 2 starts make him a potential Canadian callup.  If he was a Scottish prospect 2 starts would make him just another guy.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I should have said we may never know if someone gets called or not.  Sometimes we find out and sometimes we don't.  Sometimes we just get rumours.  My point is, the important thing is Herdman communicating with those guys, not whether they get called or not.  If he speaks to them and they're not interested why call them?

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×