Jump to content
harrycoyster

MLS/ESPN Streaming Contract

Recommended Posts

This is pretty huge news for the league and currently the lead story on ESPN. Disney and MLS have reached a multiyear, multi-million dollar deal to move MLS Live into the ESPN+ streaming service launching later this year. This means that all out-of-market MLS games will be watchable for only $5 a month and, as with the other announced ESPN+ content, MLS will get a dedicated whip-around and talk show.

Now, since MLS Live is gone the streaming rights for MLS are up for sale in Canada. DAZN? TSN?

Edited by harrycoyster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped using MLS live as soon as all games were blacked out for the Impact. Good service, hope something changes for streaming in Canada..illegal streams and TSN for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, Raven said:

Stopped using MLS live as soon as all games were blacked out for the Impact. Good service, hope something changes for streaming in Canada..illegal streams and TSN for now.

I subscribed for one year.  I think it was two years ago. Yes, the blackouts really  bugged me.  But it was more than the fact that they blacked out games involving the team in your market,  they also blacked all the games involving other canadian teams if you lived in Canada.  

if you go now to sign up,  they tell you very clearly on the landing page that this service is for out of market games and that national blackouts may apply.  But when i signed, that wasnt evident.  

  In the end, the value that i got out of it was in being able to watch the replays for games that I would have attended in person.  At that time, it was not expensive at all so i think i got my money’s worth.  Though, Its still debatable whether its worth the price that thay arecharging now (80 bucks US) just to watch the replays. 

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same experience.  It was only when I read the fine print that for Canada, the regional market was defined as all of Canada that it really pissed me off.   If I do not live in an MLS how would I ever attend a game anyway.  My online viewing does not affect attendance.  Even then, many sports have learned that blacking a local audience out does not encourage more attendance at the game. However, I suspect in the great white north it was likely a rights issue and not an attendance issue.  MLS agreed to sell the Canadian team rights as a collective, which then hamstrung us fans.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 19, 2018 at 12:15 PM, WheatsheafSK said:

I had the same experience.  It was only when I read the fine print that for Canada, the regional market was defined as all of Canada that it really pissed me off.   If I do not live in an MLS how would I ever attend a game anyway.  My online viewing does not affect attendance.  Even then, many sports have learned that blacking a local audience out does not encourage more attendance at the game. However, I suspect in the great white north it was likely a rights issue and not an attendance issue.  MLS agreed to sell the Canadian team rights as a collective, which then hamstrung us fans.   

 

On February 15, 2018 at 11:40 PM, Free kick said:

I subscribed for one year.  I think it was two years ago. Yes, the blackouts really  bugged me.  But it was more than the fact that they blacked out games involving the team in your market,  they also blacked all the games involving other canadian teams if you lived in Canada.  

if you go now to sign up,  they tell you very clearly on the landing page that this service is for out of market games and that national blackouts may apply.  But when i signed, that wasnt evident.  

  In the end, the value that i got out of it was in being able to watch the replays for games that I would have attended in person.  At that time, it was not expensive at all so i think i got my money’s worth.  Though, Its still debatable whether its worth the price that thay arecharging now (80 bucks US) just to watch the replays. 

I felt I got my monies worth as I would switch from game to game on the PC while doing other work. Often I'd have Whitecaps on TSN while the PC was showing me yanks games. I knew about the restrictions of course. Sometimes I'd find out games were on TSN only after seeing the streams being unavailable!

Where I felt I was losing my value was due to the number of games being played simultaneously. There used to be more Sunday night games from the west coast meaning I could watch those late starts until very late in the evening. Those seem to have beene cut back. 

 

I'm curious what they'll have for us this year. Who will run it? TSN I presume. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Forbes is saying DAZN will most likely get the MLS Canada streaming rights (minus the Canadian teams games)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/03/01/new-mls-streaming-service-for-canadian-soccer-fans-dazn-announcement-expected-very-soon/

The author does not talk about getting this information from a source, he just quotes online talk and says he thinks it will happen. I assume he does know something or else he would not risk his journalistic integrity. I would love if this were true. DAZN has been great for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

The author does not talk about getting this information from a source, he just quotes online talk and says he thinks it will happen. I assume he does know something or else he would not risk his journalistic integrity. I would love if this were true. DAZN has been great for me.

Agreed, I was taking it with a grain of salt but was just putting it out there.  But yeah it would be great if it got on there.  Be nice to see some of the bigger matchups that TSN ignores (although to their credit, they were better last year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the DAZN's tweets and replies, they're reaching out to a bunch of Canadian soccer people this morning, so maybe something is coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Are they going to DM people details? 

I guess lol.  Good to see them reaching out to people in the community to try and raise awareness though.  Interesting to see them up their content level the last few days (Commonwealth Games, PAC-12 network and maybe this)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update, literally 3 minutes later I got a DM from DAZN saying that they're doing a conference call with the head of PR to make a major announcement at 11am EST and asking if people want to be on the call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Three year contract between DAZN and MLS, 262 live, 129 full and condensed 48 hours after due existing rights (stealing from Jon Eden on Twitter)

 

Edited by Rheo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So $20 Cdn per month. I'm not saying no right off the bat. I'll need to research this further. Zero interest in NFL. I do watch out of market MLS game and the allure of a consistent and quality La Liga package is tempting. 

Do any of you have experience with DAZN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

So $20 Cdn per month. I'm not saying no right off the bat. I'll need to research this further. Zero interest in NFL. I do watch out of market MLS game and the allure of a consistent and quality La Liga package is tempting. 

Do any of you have experience with DAZN?

I've got friends who've got it and like it.  I know they got crapped on in the beginning of the NFL launch with issues but they took steps to combat that.  We throw it on at the bar I hang out at occasionally and there's rarely issues and I assume it's on they bar's wifi lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I've got friends who've got it and like it.  I know they got crapped on in the beginning of the NFL launch with issues but they took steps to combat that.  We throw it on at the bar I hang out at occasionally and there's rarely issues and I assume it's on they bar's wifi lol.

Ok, good to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still....all Impact games are blocked. I've ditched cable and only watch games via streaming. TSN and TVA control the games and do not offer streaming of channels seperately. Illegal streams for me then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raven said:

Still....all Impact games are blocked. I've ditched cable and only watch games via streaming. TSN and TVA control the games and do not offer streaming of channels seperately. Illegal streams for me then.

That's more to do with TSN and TVA of course. One day it will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raven said:

Still....all Impact games are blocked. I've ditched cable and only watch games via streaming. TSN and TVA control the games and do not offer streaming of channels seperately. Illegal streams for me then.

I read somewhere that the Canadian MLS team games will be available but 18-24 hours later..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I read somewhere that the Canadian MLS team games will be available but 18-24 hours later..

48 hrs. It's in Rheo's post above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Games are usually on there right after there done.  U never have to wait 48 hrs.  It was the same on MLS live.  Ur better of doing the $150 for the year instead of $20 a month.  They have live games from La Liga , Serie A, Ligue 1, English Championship, UEFA Champions League and many more.  Plus they have NFL, KHL hockey and rugby union competitions plus many more things.   It's a steal for $150 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ratdog224 said:

Games are usually on there right after there done.  U never have to wait 48 hrs.  It was the same on MLS live.  Ur better of doing the $150 for the year instead of $20 a month.  They have live games from La Liga , Serie A, Ligue 1, English Championship, UEFA Champions League and many more.  Plus they have NFL, KHL hockey and rugby union competitions plus many more things.   It's a steal for $150 

It's only $150 for the year? Nice!

The 48 hour thing on MLSLive was for games that had been blocked out, not the games they had webcast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2018 at 2:21 PM, dbailey62 said:

So $20 Cdn per month. I'm not saying no right off the bat. I'll need to research this further. Zero interest in NFL. I do watch out of market MLS game and the allure of a consistent and quality La Liga package is tempting. 

Do any of you have experience with DAZN?

Thats not a good deal.  $20.00/mo is grossly expensive compared to what it would have cost and would have been available through the league package of old.  Thats double the price. And no added benefit of watching TFC and other cnd teams.  

I subsribed basketballtv on a number of occasions to watch the international matches and tournamnents.  You could subscribe for a month and cancel.  The was no blackout of games involving canada and the stream quality and commentary was terrific.  And, unlesss i am mistaken, it was $7.99/mo.  They even let you watch the games that were already broadcast on nationally over the air. 

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×