Vince193

Jonathan David

I love it, and honestly im not surprised since David is truly a quality player. Its no wonder Gent gave him a new contract since they clearly had the foresight that he would draw interest from bigger clubs sooner or later. Honestly if it werent for Phonzy breaking through then David would get a lot more hype.. and as an icing in the cake I love the fact he was born in the USA and we snatched him hehe... plus he never played in MLS so they cant claim any credit for his development.. yes I'm petty like that 😛

6 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Apparently BVB just implemented a new policy that stated that they will no longer sell to Bayern. So probably not the best route if we want to see a Phonzie-Johnny front line at Bayern, but one can dream!

It's not like Dortmund really sells to Bayern. They just let their players contracts run down and Bayern signs them for free.

Yeah if some club doesn't sell to Bayern, I guess the price is not high enough. 

Anyhow I take the source of this "news" with a grain of salt. On the other hand, any 18 year old breaking through in the striker position is bound to draw some attention. 

Nice first touch!

He's performing way above (my) expectations, if he keeps that up he won't be in Belgium for too long (although I hope he stays at least another season and then starts to really rake them in).

He could have had a second at around 1.30 in the highlights video. Great running into space.  Belgian league, if these highlights are an indication, is surprisingly good.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1089833246358155270

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

He could have had a second at around 1.30 in the highlights video. Great running into space.  Belgian league, if these highlights are an indication, is surprisingly good.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1089833246358155270

It isn't that much of a surprise.  Belgium has been producing some good players over the last decade, and many of them have come up through the youth systems in their domestic clubs.

It looks good to me too. Apart from living in a place like Belgium, pretty good country to be in and nice football tradition.

They are in 6th so in the Championship playoff group, first six, which starts in late March. NB: there is no regular season overall table winner!

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

Nice first touch!

He's performing way above (my) expectations, if he keeps that up he won't be in Belgium for too long (although I hope he stays at least another season and then starts to really rake them in).

I'm just glad he is starting more and taking the opportunity. Seems to have forced the manager to trust him more. 

33 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I'm just glad he is starting more and taking the opportunity. Seems to have forced the manager to trust him more. 

Yeah, it seems like he is in a good environment and a great league for him to get some competitive experience.  As much as we all want to see Canadian nationals at the world's best clubs, I would be totally happy if he stayed at Gent and thrived there for a while.  He has lots of time to move on -  getting a starting spot at a club like that is the ideal step for his development at this point IMO.

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Rad didn't have much of a hiccup when he jumped to the EPL from Belgium.

Radz was also much older and had significant Champions League experience before jumping from Anderlecht to Everton. He did 3-4 years at a smaller Belgian club before moving to the biggest Belgian club, then, once he was a proven player in his prime, he moved to one of the biggest leagues. Not a bad template for young Jonathan to look at.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, it seems like he is in a good environment and a great league for him to get some competitive experience.  As much as we all want to see Canadian nationals at the world's best clubs, I would be totally happy if he stayed at Gent and thrived there for a while.  He has lots of time to move on -  getting a starting spot at a club like that is the ideal step for his development at this point IMO.

Absolutely and just a reminder that Panama had two players on their World Cup squad who never even got a match with Gent, never mind made an impact as an 18 year old.  For a 19 year old Canadian that's an incredible level and I'd be upset if he went to a big club and turned into a youth/reserve player.    

Edited by Keegan

Gent is starting realize they're going to get a 10 million + euro  transfer offer for David in a few years so I think we can pencil  him in the starting lineup going forward. 

I think we lose track that David just turned 19 less than a month ago and he's a regular for a team with a Transfermarkt value of 63 million euros in a league where the top two teams have a 100 million euro valuation.

Outside of the Big 5, I think the Portuguese and Dutch leagues and the Championship rank above the Jupiler Pro League in Europe but that's about it.

43 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Gent is starting realize they're going to get a 10 million + euro  transfer offer for David in a few years so I think we can pencil  him in the starting lineup going forward. 

I think we lose track that David just turned 19 less than a month ago and he's a regular for a team with a Transfermarkt value of 63 million euros in a league where the top two teams have a 100 million euro valuation.

Outside of the Big 5, I think the Portuguese and Dutch leagues and the Championship rank above the Jupiler Pro League in Europe but that's about it.

You don’t think the Turkish league is better?