matty

Herdman new head coach

21 minutes ago, ted said:

Can we stop talking about Zambrano on this thread for Herdman? We have a thread for talking about the previous coach.

Thanks.

Its ok, we are talking about Herdman on the Zambrano thread, it all evens out.  

5 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

But I do know! :)

No actually, being a distinguished member of our soccer community someone made sure you had ONE version to ensure there'd be no public scrutiny of the CSA on this. And you bought it.

If you haven't gotten Octavio's opinion you are making false claims, and if you don't care to know it you are being deliberately a CSA shill. So it's just as easy to say you're not telling the truth and you in fact don't know. 

P's I know Im bullshitting just to make clear. Herdman could have silenced all this buzz by taking on a real challenge and showing his mettle. So far it's impossible to know how good a coach he might be. 

PSS and let me add, I am all in favour of him being as successful as possible. I do not see any major errors so far in his actual coaching, so that is good. I don't even mind him finding a place for the kids vs the minnows by playing Davies as a fullback, which is not his idea, Robbo already did it at Caps. I am willing to forgive the fundamental dishonesty of his hiring and the CSA's BS if we get results--in fact, since so many football successes take place on the back of corruption and disgusting behaviour, I will even waive all my moral benchmarks if we can qualify on results for Qatar, I really do not care how we do it. But I still think, privately, as a human, than Herdman is a spin doctor and that his move to take Octavio's job was unethical.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

22 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Very possible and others have mentioned here, perhaps his reason to want to move to the men was that the women may be in line for a downward trajectory while the men hold lots of promise. Maybe. 

I heard part of the reasoning was that Herdman was interested in making a switch to a men's programs and CSA did what they could to keep him on board.  I'm not sure how much truth is in that statement though.  Likely a combination of things contributed to his sudden switch.

Edited by Corazon

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its ok, we are talking about Herdman on the Zambrano thread, it all evens out.  

But I am ignoring the thread about a short-term, former coach. This thread is actually relevant in that it is talking about our ACTUAL coach. ;)

Not to troll or criticise anything, but why did they hire a coach that never played or coached a professional men's game? I get that some tactics are similar to the women's game but the competition level is entirely different. I don't know any top soccer country that tried this experiment before, but I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, ted said:

But I am ignoring the thread about a short-term, former coach. This thread is actually relevant in that it is talking about our ACTUAL coach. ;)

Ted, I thought we established Herdmans thread was mainly about zambrano, and zambrano's thread was about herdman. 😉  Sometimes you have to think outside the box so you can complain about the coach you hate, HEHEHE!!  

10 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Not to troll or criticise anything, but why did they hire a coach that never played or coached a professional men's game? I get that some tactics are similar to the women's game but the competition level is entirely different. I don't know any top soccer country that tried this experiment before, but I could be wrong.

I don’t agree with your statement, but I liked your comment because you didn’t mention the USA at all. That’s a good first step to stop being ignored.

I think they hired him because they believe he can do the job. They have a lot of experience with him and obviously are impressed with what they have seen. I am not an expert on women’s soccer, but tactics-wise I don’t think there is a big difference between women’s soccer and men’s soccer. It’s not like it makes it harder to manage when the players are running faster and kicking harder.

For your last statement, I don’t know of any nations trying this switch either. I think as the women’s game improves it was just a matter of time for a women’s coach to get a job with a men’s team.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:04 PM, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Oh it's different alright, the CWNT is actually competitive... as for the CMNT, it remains to be seen. Ultimately an athlete is an athlete, and sex does not fall into the equation if said athletes are competing with other athletes on level terms. Ultimately soccer is soccer, and it's not just "some" tactics that are similar, its all of them