Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chad_Impact

Naming the Montreal-Toronto derby.

Recommended Posts

It's funny that both sides of this derby can't even agree on what to name it. I feel the 401 derby is a terrible name, especially considering there's no 401 highway here. 

What should it be called? My vote is on The Canadian Classic or Le Classique Canadien, since it translates well to both languages. Though, I have seen some Whitecaps fans get pretty butt-hurt about the name. 

(I'm not sure if there's a thread debating this yet or not, I couldn't find one.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

It's funny that both sides of this derby can't even agree on what to name it. I feel the 401 derby is a terrible name, especially considering there's no 401 highway here. 

What should it be called? My vote is on The Canadian Classic or Le Classique Canadien, since it translates well to both languages. Though, I have seen some Whitecaps fans get pretty butt-hurt about the name. 

(I'm not sure if there's a thread debating this yet or not, I couldn't find one.)

Red vs blue 2 - electric boogiloo

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, even though the whole world calls it El Clásico, or the Superclásico, no one here  amongst fans actually uses the term, no one cares. Only the press. Here fans just say Madrid-Barça or reverse, that is that. 

Meaning that regardless of supposedly great names for derbys and rivalries, they are not always used as much as the press would spin.

Do Ranger and Celtic fans refer to Old Firm in their day to day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do Ranger and Celtic fans refer to Old Firm in their day to day?

Yes, in my experience, although the more extreme on both sides sometimes try to pretend their club is not defined by the rivalry with the other club. Phrases such as the bigot brothers, the gruesome twosome and the two cheeks get used by fans of smaller Scottish clubs, although not by the media. Dont think MLS will ever be dominated by two clubs sufficiently for that sort of dynamic to develop and in general names for derbies happen organically and shouldn't be forced like the Trillium thing TFC have with Columbus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-12-21 at 10:53 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Two pieces of shit arguing over a fly?

Discuss

 

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Yes, in my experience, although the more extreme on both sides sometimes try to pretend their club is not defined by the rivalry with the other club. Phrases such as the bigot brothers, the gruesome twosome and the two cheeks get used by fans of smaller Scottish clubs, although not by the media. Dont think MLS will ever be dominated by two clubs sufficiently for that sort of dynamic to develop and in general names for derbies happen organically and shouldn't be forced like the Trillium thing TFC have with Columbus.

 

On 2017-12-21 at 10:53 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Two pieces of shit arguing over a fly?

Discuss

Who are the two pieces of shit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 401 runs from Windsor Ontario to more or less Lancaster Ontario or Cornwall Ontario.  It runs through Toronto.   It doesnt even go to Montreal, and actually ends at 120 kms from Montreal (ie.; an hour and a half away).  The people who named it the 401 derby never looked at a road map.  

If Cornwall Ontario gets an MLS team,  we can have a 401 derby.

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The 401 runs from Windsor Ontario to more or less Lancaster Ontario or Cornwall Ontario.  It runs through Toronto.   It doesnt even go to Montreal, and actually ends at about 100 kms from Montreal (ie.; an hour and a half away).  The people who named it the 401 derby never looked at a road map.  

If Cornwall Ontario gets an MLS team,  we can have a 401 derby.

What is so dumb about the 401 tag is that you get foreign journalists using it, on Eurosport broadcasts I've heard it on both Spanish and English commentary (flipping, same match). Journalists are classically desperate for this stuff, fans care a whole lot less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Image may contain: 2 people, text

     

    Ticket Deadline

    Sunday March 17th

    Get your tickets here

     

    Pre Game Events

    Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

    You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

    Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

    Our pre game party will start at 11am 
     

     

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...