Jump to content
CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, masster said:

Article from Ottawa says this may be a ploy by CONCACAF so the CPL can sign Ottawa's best Canadian players.
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/mls/ottawa-fury-fc/is-concacaf-playing-its-own-games-with-the-intention-of-crippling-fury-fc/wcm/c419d5c4-9dab-46e3-99ec-0d59ed85cfb5

Wow...the leaks coming from the Fury FO seem desperate.

 

You have to read this article to believe it.   'Greasy' is right !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

 

You have to read this article to believe it.   'Greasy' is right !

 

 

Referring to Ottawa or CONCACAF? 

For me, Ottawa’s executive team comes out of this looking like shit heads. I am completely onside CONCACAF’s decision and rational. Yet their timing is off.

Edited by hamiltonfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, masster said:

Article from Ottawa says this may be a ploy by CONCACAF so the CPL can sign Ottawa's best Canadian players.
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/mls/ottawa-fury-fc/is-concacaf-playing-its-own-games-with-the-intention-of-crippling-fury-fc/wcm/c419d5c4-9dab-46e3-99ec-0d59ed85cfb5

Wow...the leaks coming from the Fury FO seem desperate.

How many Canadians are contracted by the Fury right now? Seems odd that CONCACAF would do that over a couple of players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

How many Canadians are contracted by the Fury right now? Seems odd that CONCACAF would do that over a couple of players...

7. Monsalve, Attakora, Haworth, Tissot, Mannella, JGL, Dixon
https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/ottawa-roster

These guys are already under contract, so I don't think the CPL can touch them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HochelagaFC said:

How many Canadians are contracted by the Fury right now? Seems odd that CONCACAF would do that over a couple of players...

Seven: Attakora, Tissot, Mannella, Monsalve, Dixon, Gagnon-Lapare and Haworth.  That's a decent core for a CPL team.

How long before these players start asking to be released from their contracts?  You'd have to think that as soon as the Fury lose their urgent request for provisional measures application to the CAS, it's all going to start falling apart pretty quickly for the Fury. 

A couple of weeks ago, on December 7th, Boca Juniors filed the same type of urgent application with the CAS, to suspend the second leg of the Libertadores final.  The CAS provided their response one day later, on December 8th.  http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Media_Release_CABJ_CONMEBOL__decision_PM_.pdf

We could have a decision as early as tomorrow.  The clock is ticking for the Fury. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article.  Written by on Ottawa journalist, citing someone who might know something and the head of the Fury organization, and on the basis of no facts whatsoever makes an extremely strong claim that comes across as a conspiracy theory.  Not exactly top shelf journalism.

So not only is the Fury in the process of burning any sort of bridge to CPL, they are now also alleging that our regional federation is engaging in predatory practices to explicitly destroy their organization.  Good luck getting allies in the future...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that Don Brennan article is horrid.  I don’t know where he’s coming from with the conspiracy theories - if it’s being fed by OSEG, then that reflects very poorly on an organization to which I have had little previous hostility.  I really hope it’s just lazy journalism from a guy who generally covers the Senators for a living.

The more that comes out, the less likely it is that OSEG and the CPL can reconcile their differences in the short term, and definitely not for 2019 and unlikely for 2020 at this rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That article is terrible.  He hints that the USL has a higher cap than CPL.  Ahhhh what is the CPL cap???  Ummm... USL has a cap??  The whole premise is based on assumptions or maybe what someone at the fury told him. Any journallist worth his salt could have taken 5 minutes and checked out some of this stuff.  He or his unnamed insider, blame CONCACAF so that ottawa has a fire sale and CPL benifits.  Again, poor assumptions.  If the high end CDN talent (lets say the 7 guys they have signed/good players all), are turned loose there is nothing keeping them from jumping to another USL team (they have a higher cap remember/and are still signing players), or any number of leagues in the winter transfer window when teams tweak the rosters.    Just to be fair I scrolled through his twitter feed for the last while and I dont think I saw more than 2 tweets about soccer.  And I couldnt find any story he did about the Fury initally deciding to stay in the USL in the fall.  Boooooo!  Maybe the CPL should grab the local Jets writer, fill him full of baloney and get him to put out some trash making the CPL look good.  Or better yet, dont..cause thats just a greasy move.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Worried about not having a place to play, those players sure would be more than tempted to sign with CPL teams, even if it was for less money. They’d have to jump at the chance, during this time of uncertainty, to hook up with CPL teams that are swooping in like vultures to pad their rosters."

Ha, once the Fury go into hiatus, they better hope their players are able to catch on with other teams, or they can expect to be sued for breach of contract x 9.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, masster said:

Article from Ottawa says this may be a ploy by CONCACAF so the CPL can sign Ottawa's best Canadian players.
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/mls/ottawa-fury-fc/is-concacaf-playing-its-own-games-with-the-intention-of-crippling-fury-fc/wcm/c419d5c4-9dab-46e3-99ec-0d59ed85cfb5

Wow...the leaks coming from the Fury FO seem desperate.

I don’t think Don Brennan has ever written about soccer but I don’t know for sure because I don’t read the Sun, their sports department is a complete joke full of hacks who spend all their time drooling over Erik Karlsson and the Sens. Oh wait maybe this is how he’s filling his time now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

...Ha, once the Fury go into hiatus, they better hope their players are able to catch on with other teams, or they can expect to be sued for breach of contract x 9.   

You think that would be the only litigation at that point, if the Fury can't get a remedy by the CAS route? If this drags on in that sort of way there will be a lot of negative publicity for Canadian soccer, which will put a cloud over the new league in a big way. It is to be hoped that cooler heads will still prevail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

 

You have to read this article to believe it.   'Greasy' is right !

 

 

But they only had about 12-13 players signed, by their own admission!

The theory is totally ridiculous.

First, because it is just a handful of players, it does not even come down to two per team.

Second, because you cannot honestly say that the level is so much higher that these guys would be the real pick of available Canadian talent. Some are, others not. 

Third, those under contract already cannot even legally sign with another team. No agent in his right mind would say to a player, hey, break the contract unilaterally and speculate on going to a new league where you will be paid the same, or less. What you do is wait, keep the bird in the hand, and in case of the club breaking the contract, then go out and look for another team. 

4th, there is no assurance the player would sign for a CPL team. He could go to USL and surely rival teams who know the player would make offers, in USL. Others might go back to their European options. 

Its shows how desperate Fury is with their rumour mill. They did this when they opted out of CPL, and now they have their media shills doing the same. For me, a sleazy club.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard a few times the Ottawa Sun has contra deals with both the Senators and OSEG. So I take everything from them with a heavy grain of salt. If anyone knows anything about those contractual agreements would love to hear about them.

A google of the writer and the Senators yields 16,000 results. I could only find a handful of articles he's written on soccer in his lifetime.

So if you're someone who barely knows the rules and have little appreciation for or interest in the game, why pop up out of the blue and write an article like that?... based on the replies above I think everyone already knows the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But they only had about 12-13 players signed, by their own admission!

The theory is totally ridiculous.

First, because it is just a handful of players, it does not even come down to two per team.

Second, because you cannot honestly say that the level is so much higher that these guys would be the real pick of available Canadian talent. Some are, others not. 

Third, those under contract already cannot even legally sign with another team. No agent in his right mind would say to a player, hey, break the contract unilaterally and speculate on going to a new league where you will be paid the same, or less. What you do is wait, keep the bird in the hand, and in case of the club breaking the contract, then go out and look for another team. 

4th, there is no assurance the player would sign for a CPL team. He could go to USL and surely rival teams who know the player would make offers, in USL. Others might go back to their European options. 

Its shows how desperate Fury is with their rumour mill. They did this when they opted out of CPL, and now they have their media shills doing the same. For me, a sleazy club.

 

 

Absolutely pathetic on the part of the Ottawa Fury/OSEG.   Even the most mindless Fury fans have to see this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at that article again.  It is actually hard to believe that something like that made it to print.  I guess the level of scrutiny over a footy article about a relatively small team is limited, but one would expect some minimum standards to be applied.

" While no official reason was given by CONCACAF..."

Wrong.  As per the publicly released CONCACAF statement:  "A further written correspondence to the CSA followed in November, providing guidance on our view that as it stands to date, we do not see exceptional circumstances, given the launch of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) for the 2019 season."   This was made public before the article was written, so the statement is demonstrably untrue.

 

"some believe that president Victor Montagliani, the former president of Canada Soccer, is trying to force Fury FC to play in the Canadian Premier League schedule to start play in 2019."

This part isn't actually untrue, but it is far from the conspiracy it is portrayed as - it is the clear and explicit reason for the decision as noted in the CONCACAF statement quoted above.  Nothing cloak and dagger required.  The whole rationale for denying sanction was because the Fury should be playing in CPL if they are playing anywhere.  No need to dress it up in a sinister motive.

 

"Another more plausible theory for CONCACAF’s motives was floated this way some time between the Fury FC statement and USL schedule release on Wednesday afternoon. It’s based around the belief that CONCACAF is not so much interested in forcing Fury FC to play in the CPL as it is helping the new league gain credibility by raiding the Fury FC roster of its best players."

How is this in any way "more plausible" than the straightforward idea that the Fury should simply be playing in a Canadian national league that seems to be roughly equivalent to the USL - especially given the fact that everyone knows that "exceptional circumstances" are required to justify the annual sanction.  There is no evidence offered to say why this may be more plausible. 

 

"Worried about not having a place to play, those players sure would be more than tempted to sign with CPL teams, even if it was for less money.  They’d have to jump at the chance, during this time of uncertainty, to hook up with CPL teams that are swooping in like vultures to pad their rosters."

The first part of this is purely hypothetical and yet, based on his unsubstantiated theory, he goes on to portray CPL clubs as vultures.  It is written as if this is taking place (without any corroborating evidence) - it isn't even framed as a possibility.  That should speak volumes about the objectivity of the writer.

 

"it’s also believed that CONCACAF would never allow its dispute with Fury FC to reach the arbitration hearing. When Mission Roster Raid is complete, CONCACAF will reverse its position and allow a much weaker Fury FC to play in the USL."

I am no lawyer but this sort of thinly veiled accusation has to be approaching libel territory.  Journalists aren't allowed to write whatever bullshit they want as long as they couch it in weasel words like "it's also believed that".  Bear in mind this is not quoting anyone in particular - it is just one more of the theories he pulls out of the ether to fuel the conspiracy.  If I was the head of CONCACAF, I would be contacting my legal team. 

 

" Unable to be competitive in the USL with lower-paid talent, Fury FC would almost be forced to accept an invitation to play in the CPL the following season – provided the league still exists in 2020."

Aside from the parting shot at CPL, this assumes that the invitation would be open.  It also assumes that Ottawa would be unable to sign USL level talent from abroad.  And given their claim that they pay so much more than CPL clubs, one would think this would be possible.  The idea that they would be forever uncompetitive in USL because of losing some Canadian players is ludicrous.  And in terms of joining CPL, with (presumably) Fury insiders feeding journalists this sort of bullshit, I am not so sure that is viable anymore.  Up until now my preferred option was to have the Fury move to CPL, but given this article - and other past statements - I am increasingly starting to think that might not be the best move.  Hard to have a functional partnership with an organization that is this undermining and potentially manipulative.

 

"It would be a greasy move, indeed."

Ah, there is that objectivity I was looking for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

 And the worst thing about this whole mess is that true or false it's not good publicity for the CPL.

At this point, the Fury seem to be doubling down on their USL or nothing strategy.  I suspect they recognize that CONCACAF can win the argument about the "exceptional circumstances" no longer applying so their tactic may be that they will either be allowed to play in USL or they will kill soccer in Ottawa for at least a few years.  With the Sun article and their past statements about CPL, I don't see much chance of reconciliation at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just looking at that article again.  It is actually hard to believe that something like that made it to print.  I guess the level of scrutiny over a footy article about a relatively small team is limited, but one would expect some minimum standards to be applied.

" While no official reason was given by CONCACAF..."

Wrong.  As per the publicly released CONCACAF statement:  "A further written correspondence to the CSA followed in November, providing guidance on our view that as it stands to date, we do not see exceptional circumstances, given the launch of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) for the 2019 season."   This was made public before the article was written, so the statement is demonstrably untrue.

 

"some believe that president Victor Montagliani, the former president of Canada Soccer, is trying to force Fury FC to play in the Canadian Premier League schedule to start play in 2019."

This part isn't actually untrue, but it is far from the conspiracy it is portrayed as - it is the clear and explicit reason for the decision as noted in the CONCACAF statement quoted above.  Nothing cloak and dagger required.  The whole rationale for denying sanction was because the Fury should be playing in CPL if they are playing anywhere.  No need to dress it up in a sinister motive.

 

"Another more plausible theory for CONCACAF’s motives was floated this way some time between the Fury FC statement and USL schedule release on Wednesday afternoon. It’s based around the belief that CONCACAF is not so much interested in forcing Fury FC to play in the CPL as it is helping the new league gain credibility by raiding the Fury FC roster of its best players."

How is this in any way "more plausible" than the straightforward idea that the Fury should simply be playing in a Canadian national league that seems to be roughly equivalent to the USL - especially given the fact that everyone knows that "exceptional circumstances" are required to justify the annual sanction.  There is no evidence offered to say why this may be more plausible. 

 

"Worried about not having a place to play, those players sure would be more than tempted to sign with CPL teams, even if it was for less money.  They’d have to jump at the chance, during this time of uncertainty, to hook up with CPL teams that are swooping in like vultures to pad their rosters."

The first part of this is purely hypothetical and yet, based on his unsubstantiated theory, he goes on to portray CPL clubs as vultures.  It is written as if this is taking place (without any corroborating evidence) - it isn't even framed as a possibility.  That should speak volumes about the objectivity of the writer.

 

"it’s also believed that CONCACAF would never allow its dispute with Fury FC to reach the arbitration hearing. When Mission Roster Raid is complete, CONCACAF will reverse its position and allow a much weaker Fury FC to play in the USL."

I am no lawyer but this sort of thinly veiled accusation has to be approaching libel territory.  Journalists aren't allowed to write whatever bullshit they want as long as they couch it in weasel words like "it's also believed that".  Bear in mind this is not quoting anyone in particular - it is just one more of the theories he pulls out of the ether to fuel the conspiracy.  If I was the head of CONCACAF, I would be contacting my legal team. 

 

" Unable to be competitive in the USL with lower-paid talent, Fury FC would almost be forced to accept an invitation to play in the CPL the following season – provided the league still exists in 2020."

Aside from the parting shot at CPL, this assumes that the invitation would be open.  It also assumes that Ottawa would be unable to sign USL level talent from abroad.  And given their claim that they pay so much more than CPL clubs, one would think this would be possible.  The idea that they would be forever uncompetitive in USL because of losing some Canadian players is ludicrous.  And in terms of joining CPL, with (presumably) Fury insiders feeding journalists this sort of bullshit, I am not so sure that is viable anymore.  Up until now my preferred option was to have the Fury move to CPL, but given this article - and other past statements - I am increasingly starting to think that might not be the best move.  Hard to have a functional partnership with an organization that is this undermining and potentially manipulative.

 

"It would be a greasy move, indeed."

Ah, there is that objectivity I was looking for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The article was mostly derired by Fury fans on social media yesterday. A few angry people think the allegations it makes are true, but most of the reactions I've seen have people also questionning how such a dumpster fire of an "article" made it past an editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sébastien said:

The article was mostly derired by Fury fans on social media yesterday. A few angry people think the allegations it makes are true, but most of the reactions I've seen have people also questionning how such a dumpster fire of an "article" made it past an editor.

That is good to know. 

The worst part about all of this is that the Fury seem to be circling the wagons and setting up an absolute "us or them" stand off.  And I know there are lots of fans who are unfortunately getting caught up in this and who just (understandably) want to support their local Ottawa footy team, but the more of this stuff I read the less inclined I am to want the Fury in CPL - and I suspect I am not alone.  The CPL organizers probably don't like being portrayed as vultures and co-conspirators.  Essentially, the Fury are pitting their front office and their most die-hard supporters against CPL, the CSA and CONCACAF.  That is a pretty big battle to take on for a small footy club, and ultimately I don't see any chance of long term success by the Fury.  At best I think they get a one-year extension in USL, but in the process of winning that "victory" they are absolutely destroying their chances of having a long term future in Canadian soccer.  I am not business expert, but unless they are seeking to get out of the soccer game altogether, it sure seems like they chose the wrong strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"it’s also believed that CONCACAF would never allow its dispute with Fury FC to reach the arbitration hearing. When Mission Roster Raid is complete, CONCACAF will reverse its position and allow a much weaker Fury FC to play in the USL."

This is GOLD.  So the arbitration hearing is presumably soon?  They’re going to have all these players rescind contracts prior to a ruling, sign them and then cancel the hearing and everything is done?  Truly some wolf of Wall Street meets Oceans 11 stuff.

Ignoring this article I still have two major questions in regard to the contracts: 

1) if the deals are truly USL deals and not with Ottawa then Ottawa’s demise surely won’t mean anything since they can be transferred elsewhere?

2) Is such an event contemplated?  Players would be wise to have a termination clause where if the team is unregistered with FIFA or playing with that team would hamper ones FIFA eligibility the contract is void, or alternatively void at that players option.  If you’re an agent you NEED this clause in your players contract.  Although there may be some sort of statute that overrides the need for it anyway. 

 

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is good to know. 

The worst part about all of this is that the Fury seem to be circling the wagons and setting up an absolute "us or them" stand off.  And I know there are lots of fans who are unfortunately getting caught up in this and who just (understandably) want to support their local Ottawa footy team, but the more of this stuff I read the less inclined I am to want the Fury in CPL - and I suspect I am not alone.  The CPL organizers probably don't like being portrayed as vultures and co-conspirators.  Essentially, the Fury are pitting their front office and their most die-hard supporters against CPL, the CSA and CONCACAF.  That is a pretty big battle to take on for a small footy club, and ultimately I don't see any chance of long term success by the Fury.  At best I think they get a one-year extension in USL, but in the process of winning that "victory" they are absolutely destroying their chances of having a long term future in Canadian soccer.  I am not business expert, but unless they are seeking to get out of the soccer game altogether, it sure seems like they chose the wrong strategy.

Fortunately for CPL, 95% of fans could not give a rat's ass about the Fury or its woes. It absolutely cannot affect the CPL in any significant way. Otherwise, answer this:

How many potential CPL fans have now said they won't buy season tix, or single game tix, or support their team at all, because of what is going on with Ottawa Fury?

Or further: how many potential CPL fans have decided to not support the league because there will be an unbalanced schedule with one team sitting out each match day?

Can anyone seriously imagine a major contingent of very demanding fans in Halifax or Edmonton sitting out CPL because of such concerns? Or even one, single person?

God had an easier time picking out the righteous in Sodom than we have picking out disaffected CPL fans because of Ottawa Fury.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a dedicated Fury FC fan since they first joined the NASL, and have followed them every step of the way since. I was on cloud nine attending the match against Minnesota United in 2015 to go to the NASL Championship, and the last two seasons have been more than disappointing given the product and results on the pitch. But even with all those highs and lows, they were still my team. Even at times when I didn't agree with the decisions of OSEG and the front office, I still supported OSEG for having even gotten us to the point where there was a pro club in the city.

Given the absolute farce that's unfolded in the last few months, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to keep doing this. I've told the front office numerous times that I won't be spending a dime on this team until they make the jump to CPL (unless it's a Canadian Championship match against a CPL team). And at the end of the day, I still feel that that's the optimal outcome: having OSEG swallow its pride and make the right move for the club and for the growth of the game in Canada. When the news broke about the CONCACAF decision, honestly, I laughed - not at how the team was getting scolded, but at how OSEG had just received the biggest slap on the wrist I've ever heard of in the Canadian soccer landscape. As much as my gut told me it wouldn't happen, I sincerely hoped that this would be the straw that broke the camel's back and that OSEG would come to its senses. Unfortunately, my gut seems to be right.

I want to support my local club, and I know that deep down I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for them. I'm still a big fan of Haworth, Crepeau and the other more solid Canadians they have on the side, but the decisions made by OSEG and the front office just leave me absolutely spinning. I've been trying to separate my feelings for the club from those of OSEG, but seeing the way that OSEG has been so openly hostile to CPL, having De Guzman (for whom I've now lost an immeasurable amount of respect), Haworth and others borderline mock the CPL and then take the childish, stubborn position of USL or bust . . . I don't know if I can keep it up. And the worst part of all this is that I don't see any viable alternative to OSEG and Fury FC. Others may have the start-up capital, but nowhere in the city are you going to find a stadium that's as well designed, well placed, accessible, and conducive to the kind of gameday atmosphere that you need - and the one that I loved up until so recently. As much as I've now come to despise OSEG, I know that they're still the best suited - by far - to deliver on this.

If Fury FC does continue its operations, even if it is under USL, then I think that there needs to be a very serious shake-up within OSEG. I'd argue that any management staff that were capable of creating such a toxic, hostile approach towards Canadian soccer have no place in managing a pro club in this country. If that means De Guzman, Pugh and others need to be sacked, then so be it.

If Fury FC does shut down, then . . . I honestly don't know. I'd love it if OSEG let everyone go, took a breather year, and then tried again in CPL. I'd be cautiously optimistic if Melnyk decided to give it a go, though I don't see how he'd ever find a stadium/location to match Lansdowne. If another investor came in, I'd want to see it succeed . . . but I feel like they just wouldn't be able to create the gameday atmosphere that Fury FC had.

So many things relating to CPL this past year have left me on cloud nine. But this whole damn affair has just left my stomach doing summer-saults. It's absolutely infuriating to know that this team did so well, both on the pitch and in the community, when MDS was running the show . . . and to see how OSEG have managed to absolutely ruined it with an unending string of terrible decisions. Things *could* and *should* be so much better. But thanks to OSEG, it's becoming increasingly likely that I'll be left with a team I can't identify with anymore, a second-rate substitute from someone else, or no team at all.

I just want my team back.

Merry God dammed Christmas.

Edited by m-g-williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×