CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

4 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

My hope is that both the Fury and CONCACAF get together and let calmer heads prevail and allow the Fury one last season in the USL for 2019 and then they jump to the CanPL. I'm pretty sure that's the consensus of the majority as to how we'd like to see things go down. 

Friends look after friends and good things happen to good people. You don't end up in situations like this by accident, there's always a lot more behind the scenes than meets the eye. 

The best thing for the city is good people and CPL. If someone can't be that, better to find out early on than years down the road when you're screwed (or rather Melnyked, or Ballarded).

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I just counted 17 non-Canadians (not counting Akinola). They would have to drop several of those players to meet whatever the domestic rules become. They would have to slash their player budget from $26 million down to something more like $1 million, which would have to include getting rid of Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Vazquez, probably even Osorio and many others. The rest of the team would have to take significant pay cuts to stay with the team. They also would be gone from MLS’ TV contracts and would have to hope that TSN or whoever picks up the CPL in order to maintain TV coverage which of course helps to drive interest in the team. So yeah, it’s possible TFC’s attendance might drop if they switched leagues.

Apologies if someone already addressed this, I am pages behind on this thread.

It’s a good reminder for those who forget.  

On 12/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, Bison44 said:

I have to point out some baloney in that Jacubek interview.  He says at the end of the interview the Fury had a record for playing the most canadians. Not sure what number he is quoting (maybe roster spots?) but TFC2,  playing in the same USL in the same year, had a higher % of CDN minutes (from Sandors power rankings).  Last year (2017) both VWC2 and TFC2 had more CDN content on the field than Ottawa.  Its great that Ottawa has been playing so many CDN (lately), but you cant have your own set of facts.  

I was skeptical about that line too, but I didn't even think of the reserve teams. I'm curious if anybody knows if there were ever any CSL teams that had more Canadians than Ottawa.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:45 PM, Dominic94 said:

in TFC 2’s case and TFC 3, well mostly the latter, there’s no d3 in Canada, so it makes sense to allow it and it’s a farm club. Second, for TFC 3, don’t they run the table in L1O ?

A few things to clear up. L1O is considered D3 in Canada. TFC 3 has played their last game in L1O (I'm not happy about that personally). And no, they don't run the table in L1O, although they did win the regular season in the first year in 2014.

2014 - 1st place
2015 - 5th place
2016 - 3rd in the West, 6th overall
2017 - 3rd in the West, 5th overall
2018 - 4th overall

10 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

My hope is that both the Fury and CONCACAF get together and let calmer heads prevail and allow the Fury one last season in the USL for 2019 and then they jump to the CanPL. I'm pretty sure that's the consensus of the majority as to how we'd like to see things go down. That said, with how hard both sides appear to be digging in, this doesn't strike me as bluster from either side.

Hope things work out for all you guys in Ottawa.

I understand this idea, and if that scenario came to pass and the Fury were in CPL in 2020 I agree that it would be a positive outcome long term.  But my preference in terms of an ideal outcome would be for COCNACAF to stick to their guns and for Ottawa to swallow its pride and go into CPL this year.  

Let's face it - there will be hurt feelings over how this went down this for a while.  Better, IMO, to tear the bandaid off and start getting everyone used to the new world order. I think delaying entry until next year will just drag out the acrimony for another year and we will just have to deal with all the anger next year.  Then again, maybe it is better to insulate CPL from that kind of controversy in its inaugural year.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Then again, maybe it is better to insulate CPL from that kind of controversy in its inaugural year.

This is what I think.  CPL opened the door, OSEG were not interested.  OSEG/Ottawa Fury spoke for years in regards to CPL launch.  It's not like the Fury were blindsided by CPL launch.

If OSEG and Ottawa Fury do not want to be part of CPL, then I have no problem with them being left out of our league.  There won't be a single Valour fan that is upset.  That doesn't mean I don't want Ottawa in CPL.  But I think OSEG have created a false narrative for their fans, that CPL are the villains.  We don't need their negative bs, CPL are on a positive roll.   Let them stay in USL.  

I don't think it's in the best of interest of Ottawa Fury fans, or their club, but that is their decision and they have made their choices.  Time for CPL to move forward.  Plenty of other enthusiastic markets hoping to be part of Canada's league.  Let's focus on cities/ownership groups that want to be part of our league

All the best to OSEG/Ottawa Fury in USL !