Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Caps played well for the first 30 minutes, but then they lost the battle in midfield. Tiebert and Ghazal ran their asses off, but their distribution was lacking--no surprise--and the team could not find any cohesion for the final 60 minutes.  Having said that, TFC was very good tonight.  Both teams will make the playoffs--my bold prediction--but I am not sure the Caps have the cast to make a run. If healthy, TFC could win the whole shooting match again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To their credit the Caps possession is better this year than last, we've even dominated some of the lesser teams. But Robbo has never coached it and does not know how, we are just an eternal mid table side vulnerable at the back and dangerous up front. If Shea had scored that one point blank we could have blah blah blah. 

It's called following an entertainment package, probably there shouldn't even be supporter groups. I mean, you go to the Louvre to see Mona Lisa smile, but if she's frowning that day no one ever starts banging a drum and chanting in old Italian to make her face change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kudos to the Caps for not packing it in once it started getting out of hand and fighting back, showing a little CDN grit.  I had some bad flashbacks to the dark times when TFC would seemingly invent new ways to screw it up every season.  Good ole Ricketts finally put it to bed.....kind of fitting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night's game was sloppy and you could argue that overall it was a sloppier tournament (at least in the semi-final stage onward) than in the past couple of years. I mean, 7 goals last night is great for the highlights & headlines but most of them were not from brilliant scintillating offensive play but very poor defense. For those questioning Carl Robinson's ability as a coach, probably the best evidence from this match is going to be how flat Vancouver came out in that 2nd half down two goals - I can't believe how asleep the entire Vancouver team (bar De Jong, the only player to sense any sort of danger or urgency) was on that 3rd goal - which came off of a throw-in. Tactics aside, that doesn't suggest that Robinson gave them the most inspiring half-time talk. Also not sure why Aly Ghazal was the guy who kept trying to mark Altidore off corners and set pieces in the 2nd half, especially as he did a woeful job of it.

As for Davies, TFC definitely had a "stop at point of contact" and "two guys on him at all times" strategy which was wise and which they were effective on (thankfully Zavaleta, who in my book won the "Chief Goat" award on both of Vancouver's goals from a TFC perspective wasn't usually one of those two men). Let's keep in mind that at Bayern, Davies will not likely have that problem as he won't be the sole/main threat for their team that the other team keys on (and if he becomes their main threat, it will mean that he has done spectacularly well). That may however be closer to what he will see when playing for Canada. I was disappointed Vancouver took him off the field in the 51st minute, I think right after TFC scored the 3rd goal - it was such a short time after the 2nd half started that it seemed to be almost a "we surrender" move by Robinson. When Davies got the ball you could feel the anxiousness in the crowd. And he seemed fairly upset that he was being taken off when he was.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'caps were clearly tired last night after a big week of derby games and travel. As for the playoffs, the 'caps under Robinson have historically not finished well as the games tighten up and they play better western conference teams more often due to the unbalanced schedule. We'll see this year; 538 has them at 29% to make the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Last night's game was sloppy and you could argue that overall it was a sloppier tournament (at least in the semi-final stage onward) than in the past couple of years. I mean, 7 goals last night is great for the highlights & headlines but most of them were not from brilliant scintillating offensive play but very poor defense. For those questioning Carl Robinson's ability as a coach, probably the best evidence from this match is going to be how flat Vancouver came out in that 2nd half down two goals - I can't believe how asleep the entire Vancouver team (bar De Jong, the only player to sense any sort of danger or urgency) was on that 3rd goal - which came off of a throw-in. Tactics aside, that doesn't suggest that Robinson gave them the most inspiring half-time talk. Also not sure why Aly Ghazal was the guy who kept trying to mark Altidore off corners and set pieces in the 2nd half, especially as he did a woeful job of it.

As for Davies, TFC definitely had a "stop at point of contact" and "two guys on him at all times" strategy which was wise and which they were effective on (thankfully Zavaleta, who in my book won the "Chief Goat" award on both of Vancouver's goals from a TFC perspective wasn't usually one of those two men). Let's keep in mind that at Bayern, Davies will not likely have that problem as he won't be the sole/main threat for their team that the other team keys on (and if he becomes their main threat, it will mean that he has done spectacularly well). That may however be closer to what he will see when playing for Canada. I was disappointed Vancouver took him off the field in the 51st minute, I think right after TFC scored the 3rd goal - it was such a short time after the 2nd half started that it seemed to be almost a "we surrender" move by Robinson. When Davies got the ball you could feel the anxiousness in the crowd. And he seemed fairly upset that he was being taken off when he was.

 

 

Davies is still not fully recovered and looked fully ready to come off the field. He looked disappointed, but not because he was being subbed off. This was, in the big picture, a wise move on Robbo's part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Davies is still not fully recovered and looked fully ready to come off the field. He looked disappointed, but not because he was being subbed off. This was, in the big picture, a wise move on Robbo's part. 

I don't think he was running on all cylinders so I also think it was a good move to take him off. 

The team defending was very poor yesterday as compared to the Portland game because TFC demonstrated much better off the ball running to create space.  No one picking up Altidore on the first goal was atrocious:  he had a free run after his original pass from the right touch line until he got the ball back on his shot.  Terrible communication and/or lack of situational awareness.  And the marking on third goal shortly into the second half:  what the h. happened there?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't think he was running on all cylinders so I also think it was a good move to take him off. 

The team defending was very poor yesterday as compared to the Portland game because TFC demonstrated much better off the ball running to create space.  No one picking up Altidore on the first goal was atrocious:  he had a free run after his original pass from the right touch line until he got the ball back on his shot.  Terrible communication and/or lack of situational awareness.  And the marking on third goal shortly into the second half:  what the h. happened there?

 

Yeah, the marking was very poor on at least two of the goals, like you mentioned. Ghazal looked gassed for the last 30 minutes of the game, but I give credit to TFC for wearing out our midfield with their fantastic movement and excellent passing. The Caps are much better than they showed last night, but I think we see the value of a guy like Felipe.  The big question: Will this club spend some of their Fonzie dollars on a couple of proper DPs?  Yes, they should spend some of this cash throughout their system--that is just smart--but I fear they will neglect to take care of the first team, and that would be pure folly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

The Caps are much better than they showed last night.

To me, they're never as bad as some think they are when they lose.  But on the other hand, they're never as good as they are made out to be when they win.  It's more or less a flat line with some peaks and some valleys.  There's no rising road of progress or just one step away from the championship here.

However, as I have mentioned on many other occasions here, this team does just enough to get points and stay in the hunt.  And if they get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The 'caps were clearly tired last night after a big week of derby games and travel. As for the playoffs, the 'caps under Robinson have historically not finished well as the games tighten up and they play better western conference teams more often due to the unbalanced schedule. We'll see this year; 538 has them at 29% to make the playoffs.

But look at the division, we are like 4 points out of third place, it is very tight. Portland lost again, RSL as well, we win a big game on the weekend and we are in there again. 

I'd say the real odds for the Whitecaps, with the typical mentality of bouncing back big after a fall, are about 45% making playoffs. 

What really surprises me is that folks are convinced that TFC, that far back, has any realistic chance to make it. If Shea had scored that late sitter the game could have ended up tied and Vancouver winning the Cup, the scoreline is a bit deceptive on a very bad night for the Caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But look at the division, we are like 4 points out of third place, it is very tight. Portland lost again, RSL as well, we win a big game on the weekend and we are in there again. 

Their next three games are at home against NYRB on a three time zone road swing and then back to back against a mediocre/poor SJ team.  Three wins are within the realm of possibility and then it would be a different tune being sung by many supporters.

However, the key is the Wunderkid's groin issues.  If he's not back to a higher gear, all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What really surprises me is that folks are convinced that TFC, that far back, has any realistic chance to make it.

Defence and giving up untimely goals is the achilles heel really undermines those chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BearcatSA said:

Their next three games are at home against NYRB on a three time zone road swing and then back to back against a mediocre/poor SJ team.  Three wins are within the realm of possibility and then it would be a different tune being sung by many supporters.

However, the key is the Wunderkid's groin issues.  If he's not back to a higher gear, all bets are off.

I know it is not the thread, but frankly, last night, if Davies was hurt, we could have been way more conservative in that first half, much feistier, and absorbed a bit of the pressure. Such as with Shea instead of Davies. At Portland it worked, in NYC we did not rely on Davies either. Both results would have been good for us. 

What was the game plan last night? Were we countering? Trying to outscore TFC? Did we have Davies, Techera and Reyna behind Kei because we thought we were going to be crowned king of the castle just like that? All I am saying: Davies is in fact a part of our success and our failure, he is pretty well as in/consistent as the rest of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At Portland it worked, in NYC we did not rely on Davies either. Both results would have been good for us. 

They worked hard in both these matches (and that's the big positive with this club) but I really think they benefitted from indifferent attacking play by Portland and poor to mediocre opposing goal keeping in both those games.  Davies is young and can be as inconsistent as the rest of his team but he's the one attacking gamechanger this team has.

With Shea, he should be playing like his manbun is on fire because he's at the end of his lucrative deal and if he wants a bigger payday next contract, he needs to bring it every minute he's in action.  Hopefully that happens.

The San Jose back to backers are huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Defence and giving up untimely goals is the achilles heel really undermines those chances.

Which makes it all the more surprising to me that the two players they acquired during the transfer window (Bakero & the Argentinian dude) are both attacking players who can play either as attacking midfielders or striker (apparently - we still haven't seen either touch the ball yet). Goal scoring hasn't really been a problem this year, so unless the strategy is simply to win each game 5-3, you'd think they would have fortified the defense rather than bolster the attack (or at least do both rather than one or the other). I realize they've played the entire year without their starting central defenders but there's no guarantee that won't continue to happen with more injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I realize they've played the entire year without their starting central defenders but there's no guarantee that won't continue to happen with more injuries.

As much as I like Mavinga he seems to be a china doll with lower body soft tissue injuries.

Edited by BearcatSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But look at the division, we are like 4 points out of third place, it is very tight. Portland lost again, RSL as well, we win a big game on the weekend and we are in there again. 

I'd say the real odds for the Whitecaps, with the typical mentality of bouncing back big after a fall, are about 45% making playoffs. 

What really surprises me is that folks are convinced that TFC, that far back, has any realistic chance to make it. If Shea had scored that late sitter the game could have ended up tied and Vancouver winning the Cup, the scoreline is a bit deceptive on a very bad night for the Caps.

Not sure you want to play the 'if' game for Wednesday's match. TFC could have scored 8 on the Caps if they took their chances. Vancouver was never going to come close to beating them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFC has endured a taxing schedule and an completely unbelievable string of injuries.  Until they shut off against Vancouver, they dominated the game.  Because they are now healthy and because the schedule is fairly favourable, I and others feel they still have a satisfactory chance to make the playoffs.  Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

TFC has endured a taxing schedule and an completely unbelievable string of injuries.  Until they shut off against Vancouver, they dominated the game.  Because they are now healthy and because the schedule is fairly favourable, I and others feel they still have a satisfactory chance to make the playoffs.  Time will tell.

I think I may be in the minority in saying there is little chance they can make the playoffs at this stage considering the teams they have to leapfrog. However I will say I think I agree with the majority if they do sneak in they have as good a shot s anyone of winning MLS cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×