Sign in to follow this  
dsqpr

Steven Vitória

I would take a healthy Vitoria on this Canada team any day.  I get building towards 2022 but I think we also may want to achieve something at next years Gold Cup.  Having Vitoria in there would help.  Of course throwing him into this squad the month before the Gold Cup may not even get him enough cohesion with the current group of players.

This is why scheduling friendlies is so important.  You are able to get 17 players game time in a friendly.  Something we could only do once last year!  Even if costs are an issue and flying in players based overseas are out of the question.  I would still prefer to see a men's national team game with local MLS, USL & now CPL players.  This is how you help identify those fringe players in your national squad. 

Mexico is notorious for booking friendlies for their young & local talent.

11 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Hmm, no. Vitoria is clearly the better defender, and experience will not make up for below part defending. I like Edgar, but if at the time of a call up Vitoria is clearly the better player and in better form, and I'll go with Steve in a heart beat. Besides, the ONLY way to get more NT experience is by actually playing with the NT...

12 hours ago, 1996 said:

Unless Edgar finds a team that is at a higher level than where Vitoria is playing  then I’ll go with Vitoria and I’d also go with Vitoria over any of the younger players if the younger players are playing at a lower level than Vitoria.

I should have added that I think John Herdman thinks Edgar's experience is more important than Vitoria's form. I was not personally cheerleading for Edgar over Vitoria.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I would take a healthy Vitoria on this Canada team any day.  I get building towards 2022 but I think we also may want to achieve something at next years Gold Cup.  Having Vitoria in there would help.  Of course throwing him into this squad the month before the Gold Cup may not even get him enough cohesion with the current group of players.

This is why scheduling friendlies is so important.  You are able to get 17 players game time in a friendly.  Something we could only do once last year!  Even if costs are an issue and flying in players based overseas are out of the question.  I would still prefer to see a men's national team game with local MLS, USL & now CPL players.  This is how you help identify those fringe players in your national squad. 

Mexico is notorious for booking friendlies for their young & local talent.

Yup I’m all for having more games,  you don’t always have to bring in the European based players , have some games using MLS, USL and now CPL players just so that you expand the player pool and give some guys more experience.

Pure conjecture on my part but perhaps JH is sending a message to Ferreira and Eustaquio that if you wait too long you may not have an international career with Canada....

I think Herdman is going to primarily play the young guys at the back through the Gold Cup and Nations League to give them as much experience and exposure as possible ahead of 2022 qualifying. The exception is if Atiba stays involved and plays some CB.

The assumption that the  leadership and experience that Edgar (or Jakovic or Straith for that matter) brings is valued more at this moment by culture-building Herdman that the bit better form that Vitoria brings seems reasonable, especially since the more senior CBs probably aren’t going to play much anyways. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I should have added that I think John Herdman thinks Edgar's experience is more important than Vitoria's form. I was not personally cheerleading for Edgar over Vitoria.

I completely agree with this statement.  It's the experience with the Canadian National team that seperates him from everyone except for maybe Atiba.  I've seen him with this young core and he fits in well and knows his role.  Just not sure it makes that much sense?

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Pure conjecture on my part but perhaps JH is sending a message to Ferreira and Eustaquio that if you wait too long you may not have an international career with Canada....

Interesting point of view.  Perhaps, but it still doesn't seem logical for his standpoint to take that risk.

1 hour ago, soccer.shocker said:

I think Herdman is going to primarily play the young guys at the back through the Gold Cup and Nations League to give them as much experience and exposure as possible ahead of 2022 qualifying. The exception is if Atiba stays involved and plays some CB.

The assumption that the  leadership and experience that Edgar (or Jakovic or Straith for that matter) brings is valued more at this moment by culture-building Herdman that the bit better form that Vitoria brings seems reasonable, especially since the more senior CBs probably aren’t going to play much anyways. 

I would rather bring in someone that would bring experience and potentially contribute like a Jakovic or De Jong.