Sign in to follow this  
dsqpr

Steven Vitória

1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

You're right.... But then again, what did he miss? 

For those that want to play international footie it's the experience, exposure, travel, playing in environments that are drastically different from Euro leagues. Many managers encourage players to do so. Arfield is a prime example of that. I personally think that it would have helped his development but that's just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Vitoria not in the lineup at all.

Does anybody know the last time he even made the bench? Is he injured?

Injured in preseason against Drutex Bytovia June 29th, I believe. He played first two pre season games. Then wasn’t in the June 30th line up. 

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

He's been getting minutes lately and was on the league team of the week i i recall

He was a starter by the end of last season, but got injured in preseason. He's played 90 minutes of every game since he got back from injury.

31 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Im surprised he didn’t get called up.

It could be fitness-related given that he only just recovered from an injury. NT camps are pretty intense and travelling to Tampa from Gdansk would be pretty brutal.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Should he be brought back into the fold as an insurance CB? Seems to have the confidence of his manager and he's been starting a lot

He should partner either Cornelius or James.

If Vitoria is in form and keeps getting playing time at a good competitive level then Herdman should definetly be calling him up. He might not have the athletism of James or Cornelius, but he has the experience and is still a very darn good defender. I think with Vitoria in the center, along with James/Cornelius, Guillard on the right wing, and Perhaps Adekugbe on the left wing (or Davies if Herdman insists on playing him at left back), then our back four starts to look more capable to at least compete in CONCACAF... of course if Eustaquio and Ferreira commit then Id say wed have a pretty solid CMNT from back to front

That is the part that puzzles me a bit.  He may not be an absolute rock star CB, but he is a big experienced defender playing for a strong team in a good league.  And despite having a really shallow CB pool, we are somehow debating whether or not he should be called.  I don't see how we wouldn't want to call him right now.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is the part that puzzles me a bit.  He may not be an absolute rock star CB, but he is a big experienced defender playing for a strong team in a good league.  And despite having a really shallow CB pool, we are somehow debating whether or not he should be called.  I don't see how we wouldn't want to call him right now.

My guess is that Herdman as identified Cornelius, Henry and James as his 3 relatively young CB that he wants to progress with for 2022 and that as the number 4 he wants a veteran (Edgar) to help them. I have no problem with this strategy, but personnaly I would replace Edgar by Vitoria because he is still playing at a high level and can also be that veteran guy. 

57 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

My guess is that Herdman as identified Cornelius, Henry and James as his 3 relatively young CB that he wants to progress with for 2022 and that as the number 4 he wants a veteran (Edgar) to help them. I have no problem with this strategy, but personnaly I would replace Edgar by Vitoria because he is still playing at a high level and can also be that veteran guy. 

I agree that based on form and club  level Vitoria is the better choice. However, Edgar has more NT experience, so perhaps that is more important. Form and club level changes, but you can't take away experience.

I don't see why we have to play young players just because they'll be around in 2022. If Vitoria is better than the rest or even one of them he should be called over them. Our goal shouldn't be to play the team that will play in 2022 it should play the team that has the best chance of winning right now, which I personally thinks include Vitoria over Edgar, or Cornelius. I definitely realize that guys like Cornelius or Henry will likely be playing in 2022 if we get there but until they're the best out of our options they shouldn't start. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I agree that based on form and club  level Vitoria is the better choice. However, Edgar has more NT experience, so perhaps that is more important. Form and club level changes, but you can't take away experience.

Unless Edgar finds a team that is at a higher level than where Vitoria is playing  then I’ll go with Vitoria and I’d also go with Vitoria over any of the younger players if the younger players are playing at a lower level than Vitoria.

Edited by 1996

Have we heard any talks of cost cutting measures?? Maybe Edgar was closer and cheaper to bring in as a seasoned vet this past fall and thats why he got a call?  I like the idea of Vitoria in camp and probably pairing with someone a bit younger and more mobile (Cornelius/james/Henry).  But Vitoria is still 31, if he is playing well he could be a big piece of 2022 qualifying, even if he doesnt keep playing to the WC.   Why wouldnt you keep him in the mix?  I guess with only 4 camps, 4 games its hard to give everyone you want a run out and keep them involved in the program.  

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Hmm, no. Vitoria is clearly the better defender, and experience will not make up for below part defending. I like Edgar, but if at the time of a call up Vitoria is clearly the better player and in better form, and I'll go with Steve in a heart beat. Besides, the ONLY way to get more NT experience is by actually playing with the NT...