Sign in to follow this  
dsqpr

Steven Vitória

(Could not find an existing thread for him.)

I think he has played alright in this Gold Cup so far and should retain his place, but for a guy who is apparently 6'5" he has not been the physical presence I had hoped for. And his ability to win challenges in the air is more befitting a player who is 5'6". That aspect is the most disappointing for me.

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

He has one here:

Thanks. I also found two others with his name in the title but they were all for something specific, like his potential switch to Canada, rather than a general discussion of the player.

Underwhelming to be kind.  An accident waiting to happen to express myself truthfully.

I tend to be more forgiving towards the center half pair just because it is so difficult to knit everyone together that who you need to in order to show your best.  It's not just you and your partner but your full backs and who ever is holding the pocket in front of you blah, blah, blah.  Its just that you're in a position where the shortcomings of those understandings between you and them aren't hidden.  There is that danger element players up-field aren't experiencing in quite the same way.  Add a new manager and mix of players and there you are, not the best opportunity to shine.  So the defender in me tends to be forgiving, however....

Underwhelming.  To be kind. 

Vitorias experience, leadership and physical gifts make it difficult for a manager to bench him.  

At the end of the day, he just has to be better than James and Straith to justify himself, and I think he's done that, raised the bar just a little.  

I think Vitoria punched well over his weight with that big Benfica contract, and I think that is still inflating our expectations to this day.  He was never quite at that level.  He is a regular Canadian pro, flawed in multiple respects, but good enough to be one of our best.

He's not shown it yet, but Vitoria is very good with the ball at his feet.  This is a guy who was a creative mid back in the day with Woodbridge and at the National Training Centre, before he went to Porto.

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

He's not shown it yet, but Vitoria is very good with the ball at his feet.  This is a guy who was a creative mid back in the day with Woodbridge and at the National Training Centre, before he went to Porto.

He was a striker. Once scored 8 goals in one game apparently (not sure what age or level).

I believe, at least in his own mind, big Steve had settled on being a Maradona-esque midfielder when he moved up to the NTC, and that's when he had his shit fit when they said he had to play defence.

Very skilled youth though.  But much like Edgar, he didn't quite hit his expected trajectory. 

27 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Vitorias experience, leadership and physical gifts make it difficult for a manager to bench him.  

At the end of the day, he just has to be better than James and Straith to justify himself, and I think he's done that, raised the bar just a little.  

I think Vitoria punched well over his weight with that big Benfica contract, and I think that is still inflating our expectations to this day.  He was never quite at that level.  He is a regular Canadian pro, flawed in multiple respects, but good enough to be one of our best.

I'd say he has shown it. It is the thing that has impressed me the most, surprisingly.

41 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I believe, at least in his own mind, big Steve had settled on being a Maradona-esque midfielder when he moved up to the NTC, and that's when he had his shit fit when they said he had to play defence.

Never heard that before. I thought Porto were the ones who switched him to CB on his second trial with them.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I'd say he has shown it. It is the thing that has impressed me the most, surprisingly.

He was involved in some calm passing deep in our end vs Honduras where he played our way out of difficulty.  But like you I feel that he doesn't really dominate on aerial challenges like you'd think a big guy like him should.  On the other hand, he anticipated the play well on a number of occasions, moving forward and breaking up a passing play.  Not really sure how he would do in a 1 v 1 vs a pacy opponent.  Here's hoping he does well on Thursday.

I think Vitoria has a had a pretty decent GC. He has completely dominated almost every single ball through the air in midfield - especially against FG (take a look at the match again). His calm play at his feet in our defensive zone has also been quite good. I think the area where ALL of our defenders could use some help would be marking on set plays in our zone. 

I was never a huge fan of his but I think his play in this tournament has shown how he can be a pretty decent piece to a defensive group. I wouldn't be surprised if another MLS team came knocking on the door between now and the end of the GC.

2 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

. I wouldn't be surprised if another MLS team came knocking on the door between now and the end of the GC.

Tourneys such as these are great shop windows for guys looking for greener pastures.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Tourneys such as these are great shop windows for guys looking for greener pastures.

Yup. I'm hoping that this Gold Cup really springs Piette and Borjan off to greener pastures. I was hoping Aird too but I don't think he's had enough playing time to really show much. 

Honestly if Borjan and Piette can't move somewhere decent after the tournament they are both having then something is really screwed up. 

I think Adekugbe might also get another Championship level loan after this tournament too. he has impressed especially after being injured for so long. 

Just now, Boominbooty said:

Yup. I'm hoping that this Gold Cup really springs Piette and Borjan off to greener pastures. I was hoping Aird too but I don't think he's had enough playing time to really show much. 

Honestly if Borjan and Piette can't move somewhere decent after the tournament they are both having then something is really screwed up. 

I think Adekugbe might also get another Championship level loan after this tournament too. he has impressed especially after being injured for so long. 

It looks like the Caps signed the New Zealand NT keeper probably based on what they saw of him at the recent Confederations Cup.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It looks like the Caps signed the New Zealand NT keeper probably based on what they saw of him at the recent Confederations Cup.

Which flies in the face of bringing up Richey from the WC2 team, perfectly able to be a WC sub. Caps just do stuff as a reflex, dumbly, it makes not sense that signing. BTW, he is cover for Tornaghi, who is returning to Italy, and who I bumped into and spoke with having a coffee at Turks West a few hours earlier.

Tornaghi said he had not been given any chances this season and could not wait any more, was even going to play Serie C if he had to; and I replied, well, hey, Robbo does not give the Canadians many chances either, the Canucks have to go elsewhere for chances too.

Seriously, I don't get it with this being the only international soccer on worldwide and apart from early UEFA rounds, the only quality around apart from S American leagues.  Certain players in this tournament have to be scouted and be seeing offers. I would think someone would see Vitoria is good for a CB on a Polish club. I think if Borjan is still on the Ludgorets contract, he is expensive, so he's out still, but he is good for where he is in Poland too. Jakovic is clearly above NASL level, could easily be back in MLS. Petrasso, if not going to get future chances with QPR, would have to get bites. Piette, for maturity and his strong interpretation of the role, and youth too. Davies obviously.

Those are the players who so far have been showcased enough and played well enough to deserve a chance to move up. 

That is a bit odd and disappointing. He finished last season starting (and playing 90 minutes) in 8 of the team's last 9 games, so I figured that he finally broke into the manager's starting 11. Now, he hasn't even been in the gameday lineup for their first 4 games this season. Hopefully, he's just rehabbing a minor injury and not on the outs again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-vitoria/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/54716/wettbewerb/PL1/verein/4000

17 minutes ago, David C. said:

That is a bit odd and disappointing. He finished last season starting (and playing 90 minutes) in 8 of the team's last 9 games, so I figured that he finally broke into the manager's starting 11. Now, he hasn't even been in the gameday lineup for their first 4 games this season. Hopefully, he's just rehabbing a minor injury and not on the outs again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-vitoria/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/54716/wettbewerb/PL1/verein/4000

I think he is returning from injury. I do not speak Polish though so it is difficult for me to gather any information