Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
adamjwpgfutebol

CPL TV Contract

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Sorry dude...you advocating for putting it on TLN already makes me suspect your judgement on these things.

Just joking..sort of...but look imo eyeballs matter more for the TV aspect...not the streaming aspect. Whats the crossover of NFL fans and CanPL...on a streaming service? low in my opinion. At least with BeIN you have a bunch of other major soccer leagues. And if we were looking for eyeballs from casuals Sportsnet Now would blow all of them out of the water as they have NHL + Jays + occasionally raptors + EPL...etc

I am all for BeIN, SportsnetNOW or DAZN to get future CPL rights. DAZN just might be the most likely since they will be looking to buy up rights that are not already owned by Bell/Rogers/BeIN for multiple future seasons. I just hope whoever they choose provides all games live and also available for future streaming like the MLS live service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I am all for BeIN, SportsnetNOW or DAZN to get future CPL rights. DAZN just might be the most likely since they will be looking to buy up rights that are not already owned by Bell/Rogers/BeIN for multiple future seasons. I just hope whoever they choose provides all games live and also available for future streaming like the MLS live service.

true...I just think the other content on the service is important when paying $20/mth. I guess for me NFL ranks pretty low in that regards..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Sorry dude...you advocating for putting it on TLN already makes me suspect your judgement on these things.

Just joking..sort of...but look imo sports casuals eyeballs matter more for the TV aspect...not the streaming aspect. Whats the crossover of NFL fans and CanPL...on a streaming service? low in my opinion. At least with BeIN you have a bunch of other major soccer leagues. And if we were looking for eyeballs from casuals Sportsnet Now would blow all of them out of the water as they have NHL + Jays + occasionally raptors + EPL...etc

Hey I fancied TLN for its 6,000,000 homes which is far more than beIN is in ;)

NFL does very well in Canada despite not having a Canadian team. It can out do the CFL and NHL on TV in Canada and its audience is growing. If DAZN has every NFL game people are going to be ordering it. As for crossover between the two sports, while I can't find numbers the CPL is trusting the CFL to some extent to attract fans in Winnipeg and Hamilton and Fox have opted to try MLS-NFL double headers.

There's also the matter of tennis, which DAZN might try to get a lot of (more than beIN has). Tennis is a popular sport with a ton of crossover with casual soccer fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno DAZN sounds interesting but 20$ a month is quite a bit.I mean if you don't have cable and this is your only package it is ok but I have cable and wouldn't want to add another 20$ on even though it would be nice to be able to watch the Raiders play every week. 

I understand streaming is the new trend and I do stream movies and TV shows BUT for live sports I like watching in HD on my television. I feel most today still feel the same as me.

Honestly I think people are overestimating the future pace of cord cutting. Most cable companies in Canada are also internet providers. I envision a time where internet stand alone service will be tierd according to how much data a person uses (aka how much they stream). My hunch is somewhere in the not so distant future cable companies may provide unlimited streaming/data to people who purchase a cable package and start to really hit stand alone service who stream from third parties.  

Sure its not fair but it is capitalism and we all know who Rogers/Bell like to stick it to us to make money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I dunno DAZN sounds interesting but 20$ a month is quite a bit.I mean if you don't have cable and this is your only package it is ok but I have cable and wouldn't want to add another 20$ on even though it would be nice to be able to watch the Raiders play every week. 

I understand streaming is the new trend and I do stream movies and TV shows BUT for live sports I like watching in HD on my television. I feel most today still feel the same as me.

Honestly I think people are overestimating the future pace of cord cutting. Most cable companies in Canada are also internet providers. I envision a time where internet stand alone service will be tierd according to how much data a person uses (aka how much they stream). My hunch is somewhere in the not so distant future cable companies may provide unlimited streaming/data to people who purchase a cable package and start to really hit stand alone service who stream from third parties.  

Sure its not fair but it is capitalism and we all know who Rogers/Bell like to stick it to us to make money.

I definitely see what you're saying, but personally, I've been waiting for an online service that bundles the sports I watch together. Replace NFL with NHL, and this sort of package would be a dream

Ideally, since DAZN is apparently open to shared rights, they could still sell the cable rights elsewhere. Regardless, it;ll be interesting to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2017 at 0:58 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

I understand streaming is the new trend and I do stream movies and TV shows BUT for live sports I like watching in HD on my television. I feel most today still feel the same as me.

Sears thought online sales was just a temporary trend and they even had numbers to back it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really happy to see a new competitor on the block, more options is always great for us consumers, and will definitely be following DAZN closely. That said, with beIN's UCL, La Liga and NASL coverage, it'd take quite a bit of soccer coverage from DAZN to see me cheering for DAZN over beIN for CPL.

All that said, I can't tell you how much I am cheering for Sportnet to buy or be given for free the CPL rights, these guys truly have cared about footy in a way TSN never will, despite the latter gobbling up all the good stuff recently.

I can't wait to see heavy coverage of CPL on Sportnet One, with the occasional game on the 4 main regional SN channels and SN360. And to top that off with the coverage of SN Now? To me, it's by far a superior option to CBC, TLN, beIN, TSN, DAZN or any other acronym we can think of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Really happy to see a new competitor on the block, more options is always great for us consumers, and will definitely be following DAZN closely. That said, with beIN's UCL, La Liga and NASL coverage, it'd take quite a bit of soccer coverage from DAZN to see me cheering for DAZN over beIN for CPL.

All that said, I can't tell you how much I am cheering for Sportnet to buy or be given for free the CPL rights, these guys truly have cared about footy in a way TSN never will, despite the latter gobbling up all the good stuff recently.

I can't wait to see heavy coverage of CPL on Sportnet One, with the occasional game on the 4 main regional SN channels and SN360. And to top that off with the coverage of SN Now? To me, it's by far a superior option to CBC, TLN, beIN, TSN, DAZN or any other acronym we can think of.

These are basically my thoughts as well...

Have to think Sportsnet would need some more Canadian content for CRTC obligations?...I'm guessing curling is what provides most of that now. 

Edited by mpg_29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand people not being psyched about what DAZN has to offer and BEIN being better.... But to me the CPL is going to be what pushes me to buy whatever streaming service gets it. I have no interest in the NFL and very little in the JLeague but those would be considered bonuses for me. I already have SN Now and TSN GO so it would be nice if the CPL went there but I'm going its going to come down to which service gets the CPL.

My one concern with DAZN is how will it preform technically. Lots of issues one startup with the JLeague. Also, fire whoever came up with the name DAZN. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say I love how people are judging DAZN with it only having announced TWO pieces of programming. DAZN programming elsewhere is awesome and, even if stripped down, the Canadian version will likely have a killer line up (some articles I've seen are hinting at it showing EPL and UCL matches).

9 minutes ago, BradMack said:

My one concern with DAZN is how will it preform technically. Lots of issues one startup with the JLeague. Also, fire whoever came up with the name DAZN. 

This ^. I've read a lot of complaints from Japan about DAZN. Lots of glitches including dropped feeds and audio over the first several months. Also heard there have been issues in Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, matty said:

Gotta say I love how people are judging DAZN with it only having announced TWO pieces of programming. DAZN programming elsewhere is awesome and, even if stripped down, the Canadian version will likely have a killer line up (some articles I've seen are hinting at it showing EPL and UCL matches).

Because a lot of rights to the good stuff for Canada is already claimed by some entity. Pretty sure EPL is split between Sportsnet and TSN. SportsNet has a streaming subscription service which may nullify another service from getting digital EPL rights. UCL is split between TSN and BeIN I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Because a lot of rights to the good stuff for Canada is already claimed by some entity. Pretty sure EPL is split between Sportsnet and TSN. SportsNet has a streaming subscription service which may nullify another service from getting digital EPL rights. UCL is split between TSN and BeIN I believe.

Wouldn't that apply to the NFL as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Because a lot of rights to the good stuff for Canada is already claimed by some entity. Pretty sure EPL is split between Sportsnet and TSN. SportsNet has a streaming subscription service which may nullify another service from getting digital EPL rights. UCL is split between TSN and BeIN I believe.

I'm well aware of the current TV situation and I'm doubtful deals cannot be reached with the rights holders like they were with the NFL http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/bell-media-thursday-night-football-1.4149389

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Wouldn't that apply to the NFL as well?

From what I understand Sunday Ticket is different from the television packages.  It's for streaming rights for all the NFL games while TSN and Sportsnet only have streaming rights for the games that they have broadcast rights to (I think)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alex D said:

Wouldn't that apply to the NFL as well?

I'm not sure anybody had they digital rights to NFL in Canada...

It's hard to say with digital rights. A TV channel could have the TV rights and still stream the TV channel...which might not technically count as digital rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm well aware of the current TV situation and I'm doubtful deals cannot be reached with the rights holders like they were with the NFL http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/bell-media-thursday-night-football-1.4149389

When it comes to soccer it's going to depend how the rights were sold to BeIN. BeIN has both TV channels package and standalone streaming service.

relevant info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_on_Canadian_television

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mpg_29 said:

When it comes to soccer it's going to depend how the rights were sold to BeIN. BeIN has both TV channels package and standalone streaming service.

relevant info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_on_Canadian_television

It'll be interesting to see how this goes. I'm sure they'll end up with some solid content (likely from EPL). Either way I don't think it's right to shrug this off just yet.

BTW anyone know the Bundesliga broadcast details? Like when it expires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matty said:

It'll be interesting to see how this goes. I'm sure they'll end up with some solid content (likely from EPL). Either way I don't think it's right to shrug this off just yet.

BTW anyone know the Bundesliga broadcast details? Like when it expires

Last year Sportsnet World NOW had every Bundesliga game available streaming live and on demand but this year they only have select Bundesliga games available on Sportsnet NOW and are discontinuing the Sportnet World NOW service. Not sure if the rights have changed or are just not adding all games. Also Sportsnet NOW will not stream SPL games which were also on the Sportsnet World NOW service so I assume those rights are up for grabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the goal of a TV deal will to have the games easily accessible for casual sports fans. Generally Bien subscribers are mostly dedicated hardcore sportsfans who will likely be following the CPL anyway.

CBC, Sportsnet, TSN are all available to the majority of casual sportsfan's as it is included in most cable packages. Another option for streaming may be something like CBC. I know all he Toronto Wolfpack games are streamed on CBC.

Also if the goal is to just have the games easily accessible to fans they could look at something like the USL platform. All their games are available live streaming VIA YouTube. 

I just dont see any benefit for a league starting out to broadcast on a specialty service or station with a very limited subscriber base. The goal for the CPL will be to try and draw fans from outside the hardcore soccer base - these services have few subscribers who are actually outside this base.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I think the goal of a TV deal will to have the games easily accessible for casual sports fans. Generally Bien subscribers are mostly dedicated hardcore sportsfans who will likely be following the CPL anyway...

I just dont see any benefit for a league starting out to broadcast on a specialty service or station with a very limited subscriber base. The goal for the CPL will be to try and draw fans from outside the hardcore soccer base - these services have few subscribers who are actually outside this base.

 

 

These are the exact reasons why beIN should maybe be avoided. While it's a great place to reach hardcores it has little impact of casuals.

DAZN seems to be going after more casual fans with the NFL deal. While I'm excited by it, I'm waiting until the 31st (when it's supposed to be up by) before going all in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

CBC, Sportsnet, TSN are all available to the majority of casual sportsfan's as it is included in most cable packages.

TSN is not available to majority of sports fans unless they want to pay an installation fee, get some guy to come to your house to activate your cable, have to rent a cable box, have to have an ugly giant cable box in your TV room, commit to term of the subscription, have to pay for a lot of content that is not wanted and pay a crazy amount of money. TSN is also a bad option because they will be cutting out a large part of younger viewers who they will need to grow their viewers. These younger viewers would be more likely to change their viewing habits and follow CPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×