Sign in to follow this  
adamjwpgfutebol

CPL TV Contract

I like that I was bitching earlier about it potentially being on DAZN and having to fork out more money to watch, now it might be on Bein which is even more useless to me! 😭

Definitely more questions than answers but wherever games end up airing (CPL App might well be where it starts), the biggest point is that this is another HUGE partner to follow Volkswagen. 

I wonder who has been doing all the CPL Video content thus far because I have been impressed with that. Its very much in the MEDIAPRO style. Have they already been helping out?

3 minutes ago, matty said:

Wonder how much the CSA will be getting from this $20m a year deal

side note: Forlan deal is probably done now. The money is there lol

And now they should have a better idea of where the salary cap should be. Don't know about year 1, but it will go up faster than we think

For instance.. Sportsnet blew their wad getting nhl and they sold some rights back to CBC. Like subleasing a floor in a commercial space. And sportnet hnic production sucks by the way. These guys can go all over the world, not just Canada selling CPL and CSA content that they produce. For intance tsn just needs to open their airwaves and run the content. No cost needed. They just need to agree on some kinda price/ad rev share for that content

Edited by SpursFlu

Gives me the impression local television covering the games might not play into the media plan. 

Big games get sold to the marquee sports channels. Other games on bein or a streaming site. 

I say this with zero inside knowledge. 

Honestly this is best/most reassuring thing I have heard come out of this league yet.

First of all one of my biggest concerns was the production quality of the games. With mediaPRO handling it that concern is virtually gone(only thing that could still impact it is the small/sub-par stadiums). The video production quality of La Liga is extremely good. You could see the quality in that mini documentary they showed.

Second. From what I am understanding the CPL has sold the rights to mediaPRO...who will add their production value and could very likely then sub-license the rights to others. So theoretically it could end up on any TV or streaming platform. So really its a win-win-win.

The only downside to CPL is they are locked to 10 year deal...so if CPL somehow became huge and the rights were worth a lot more 7 or 8 years down the road....they'd theoretically be losing out on money. But that would be a good problem to have.

13 minutes ago, matty said:

It might be stupid, the league is definitely secure money wise but you know this could cost them in advertising and could make the league even more cult like in canada if it's trapped on something like a newly introduced Moviestar+ app

For sure. But I find that a bit short sighted.

I'm not sure they should be going for a "cult" following. How many people are going to purchase a dedicated service to watch this league? How will that affect future rights deals this league will have to negotiate? Sure maybe in 10 years TV deals might not be a huge part of the pie, but the league will still have to find a deal where there is scope for broader appeal and more money, without building that viewership now, that negotiation is going to be very difficult in the future, and as a result growing the league will be even more difficult a task.

I'm afraid they've screwed themselves over with this one.

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Holy shit... More incentive for potential investors on the fence to pull the trigger and join the league!

Can someone who's good at math tell me how much of this $200m is going to the Ottawa Fury due to their preferred place as a season one start-up investor?

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Im curious about their involment with La Liga, because their brodcasts have some of the best presentation standards I've seen in sports. If we can get that for CPL I'll be extremely happy, when I figure out how to watch it. 

Yes, they do those and a lot more; filtering through their website, here's a rundown of most of the content they produce and the media rights they own:

Channels produced by them:

• beIN Connect
  • beIN Sports Spain
  • beIN Sports France
  • beIN LaLiga
  • GOL
  • Porto Canal
  • Real Madrid TV
  • Manchester City TV (including all of Man City's digital side content)
  • laSexta
  • Palanca TV

Sports media rights directly held by them:

• La Liga (they have held the exclusive rights for at least the last three years, but will be splitting them with Telefónica for three years starting next season)
  • Spanish rights to UEFA Champions League and Europa League
  • Spanish rights to Ligue 1, Copa Libertadores and the German Cup
  • Rights for the Brazilian league throughout Europe and Asia
  • Will own the French rights to Ligue 1 starting in 2020
  • Spanish rights for FIBA

They also do extensive film and TV show production, including for example the Messi and Ronaldo documentaries. So yeah, they seem like a really good partner for the league.

Edited by Zem

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Can someone who's good at math tell me how much of this $200m is going to the Ottawa Fury due to their preferred place as a season one start-up investor?

Bajillions!

11 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Do they?  I can’t find any broadcast platform under the name mediaPRO. The best I can find is they use BeIn sport in France for Ligue 1. 

They manage rights mostly but also run things like Gol, beIN Spain.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Thats a moot point, we already know its being split between Forge, Valour and Edmonton as an early bird league registration bonus.

25 minutes ago, ted said:

My source said the deal is worth $150 Million to the league. So that would mean $15M per year, plus production costs, would easily be $200M.

When you say "$150m to the league" do you mean exclusively to CPL? Presumably a share of the revenue will be allocated to VCup, MNT and WNT. Is it your understanding that will be on top of the $150m (making the entire deal bigger) or come out of it?

On Wednesday, Canadian Soccer Business announced a 10-year media partnership with MEDIAPRO, who plans to broadcast over 2,000 CPL games and all Canadian national team games during that span, along with thousands of hours of related content.

....Broadcasting every game will be a logistical challenge for MEDIAPRO, who will soon unveil a channel and platform available to all Canadians. The company plans on relying primarily on a local workforce to get the broadcasts off the ground.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/soccer/van-diest-global-media-company-partners-with-canadian-premier-league/wcm/e612d4b7-c8c4-4221-8be1-4369c5c7b16b

So we don't have to deal with the 240p streams with no production quality that we see with other american leagues? Huge win for the league. Broadcast quality influences how "professional" people will see the league.

Hopefully some of the TV broadcasters will buy some games now that they don't have to produce it themselves. 

Hold on.. not so fast guys

Ottawa Fury holding a joint press conference tomorrow with Guy Caballero. Fury games will be produced and broadcasted exclusively on SCTV for the next 10 years. Johny LaRue is now the official play by play voice of your Ottawa Fury

Edited by SpursFlu

For comparison purposes: recent MediaPro deal to broadcast French Tier 2 starting in 2020:

Four year deal worth €64m ($96m CAD) total, or €16m ($24m CAD) per year.

Deal for French Tier 1 is €1.15b ($1.725b CAD) per year.

https://advanced-television.com/2018/12/05/mediapro-secures-french-la-ligue-2-tv-rights/

9 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

When you say "$150m to the league" do you mean exclusively to CPL? Presumably a share of the revenue will be allocated to VCup, MNT and WNT. Is it your understanding that will be on top of the $150m (making the entire deal bigger) or come out of it?

If the deal is worth $200m total, and $150m is going to the CPL, I presure the remaining $50m would be going to the CSA for MNT, WNT, V Cup.

I don't know the intricacies of this, so it's beyond me as to how much this affects things like the Gold Cup or the 2026 WC.

14 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

If the deal is worth $200m total, and $150m is going to the CPL, I presure the remaining $50m would be going to the CSA for MNT, WNT, V Cup.

Where did you get the $200m number from? 

Edit: found it, thanks @lazlo_80 :

A source said Mediapro is investing $200 million into the Canadian project over the lifetime of the deal. Scott Mitchell, CEO of Canadian Soccer Business, calls it "the single-largest commitment any company has ever made in terms of soccer in Canada."

https://www.vancourier.com/canadian-premier-league-joins-forces-with-spain-based-media-partner-1.23640212

Note that this is not the revenue that CSB will receive, it is the total investment by MediaPro. So the $150m number (which is presumably revenue to CSB) will be divided up between CPL, VCup, MNT, WNT.

Looks pretty good to me!

Edited by dsqpr

2 minutes ago, matty said:

if they are starting a network, would you guys want ONLY canadian soccer on it?

DAZN owns the rights to literally everything else so what could they put on it? Eredivise? Liga Nos?